Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
    Troublemakers.

Ricky and shizzle, that is -- not Eck and Allen. We all know that everybody loves Steve Eck.
    Sorry. I lost my head.
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      I wonder if HCGM might be looking at this guy.
      Whoa! Quite a story.

My only question is this: Can the dad coach college baskeball effectively?
      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

So many things wrong with this.

Comment

Okay, now I'm a little excited. :)

Comment

This situation has Larry Brown written all over it. He'll give his left testicle to make this happen.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
              So many things wrong with this.
              I can see why it's a little disgusting... Having a guy come right out and say that if you hire him, you get automatic top end recruits. It's basically parlaying your kids into a job.

It borders on paying for players.

Shameless jab alert: I mean, we're talking McDermotts' gaming the system by walking on-while dad gets paid by the college and pays Little D's way-level of stuff here.

On the other hand, I'm listening...and I forgive easy. Come to WSU and he's my best friend. Go to a blue blood and I hate him :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                This situation has Larry Brown written all over it. He'll give his left testicle to make this happen.
                Yeah, I'm afraid were going to have to sit on the side with this one and watch all that is unholy about recruiting take place. There is going to be a bidding war for these three players...*ahem* I mean, this assistant coach.

Oh, and then we'll beat that team with a bunch of 3 stars or unranked guys who are classy, smart, reliable, coachable, hungry and ANGRY

Comment

• The McDermott comparison really doesn't play well in this scenario. Not even close to the same situation.

Comment

• If everyone knows the guy is only there because of his kids, what does that do to moral among the staff and the players?

Maybe he's a good guy and can scout and teach well. We shall see.
                    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                    -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                      The McDermott comparison really doesn't play well in this scenario. Not even close to the same situation.
                      Oh give me a break. You have to take those opportunities when they present themselves. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        I have a hunch Brown may be down to one already.

Comment

• Another way to look at is that he is competing with experienced college assistants that have inroads with various juco and high school players. If he wants to compete for these jobs, he realizes he has to have some players in his back pocket. What better than his own kids?

Comment

• 1) Larry Brown should hire this cat on a $1M/year 5 year guaranteed contract.

2) Dude should tell his kids they can attend any college they want to and ship them off to Kentucky.

MUHAHAHAHAH

I mean there's no way he can contractually guarantee that his kids will follow him -- that'd be all sorts of illegal. There's some risk with this type of deal, but it's probably low.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• This is where the big budgets at some schools come into play. It's hard to picture Marshall doing this kind of hire, but even if he wanted to it's harder still not to picture someone with a really deep pocket outbidding what WSU could afford.

Comment

• It's hard to believe it would not be an NCAA violation to hire the dad after he has made the very public announcement; WHICHEVER UNIVERSITY GIVES ME A JOB, MY 3 - FIVE STAR BASKETBALL PLAYING SONS WILL COME PLAY FOR YOUR BASKETBALL PROGRAM. After all, haven't programs been placed on probation in the past for setting-up parents with sweet deals as a reward for getting their star basketball playing son to sign with said program. If I was a head coach, I'd stay as far away from that dad, and his deal, as I possibly could.
                                "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Working...
                                X