MVC All Valley Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    Those are revealing numbers. I just think Carter won't even be in the conversation due to FVV, Cle, Ron, Tekele. Lynch looks more favorable in that breatkdown than I would have guessed. I think if Simmons would stop focusing his offensive scheme on Balentine, Mock would probably score close to that per-40 number.
    Carter will be a stud next year.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by jdmee View Post
      I don't see four. Three is highly unlikely. If you look at the 78-79 Indy State team, they had two on the first team and zero second team and they won the valley by five games. The 85-86 Bradley team won the valley by six games and got two on the first and one on the second team. The 03-04 SIU team won the valley by five games and only got one on both the first and second teams.
      Did the Valley suck as bad then?
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I don't know how all of you feel about an advanced stat like win shares but last year 4 out of the top 5 made first team All Valley and Odum was the top point guard by win shares. Going strictly off that the first team for this season would be Van Vleet, Baker, Early, Tuttle and Cotton. There are legitimate, non-biased reasons to have all 4 guys on first team this season.

Comment

03-04 I would say no. The 5th place team had 19 wins that year.

In 85-86 the standings were
          BU 32-3
          Tulsa 23-9
          Drake 19-11
          Illinois State 15-14

In 78-79
          Indy St 33-1
          New Mexico State 22-10
          Drake 15-12

In 13-14
          WSU 31-0
          Indy State 21-9
          UNI 16-14
          MSU 19-11

Comment

Originally posted by jdmee View Post
            I don't see four. Three is highly unlikely. If you look at the 78-79 Indy State team, they had two on the first team and zero second team and they won the valley by five games. The 85-86 Bradley team won the valley by six games and got two on the first and one on the second team. The 03-04 SIU team won the valley by five games and only got one on both the first and second teams.
            Bird and Nicks were so dominate...huge drop off after that. Not a good comparison. We WILL have 3 on the first team...book it.

Comment

I placed this in another thread, but it is more suited for here:

While I share everyone's enthusiasm and believe 3 or 4 Shockers are very deserving, this is the Valley of Fair.

Odum - 13 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 4.6 rpg, SENIOR, would represent the 2nd place team (even if they did end up crapping in their pants)
              Gulley - 14.9 ppg, 6.4 rpg, SENIOR
              Jackson - 18.8 ppg, 5.5 rpg, SENIOR
              Lemon - 17.8 ppg, 3.8 apg, SENIOR
              Carter - 16.3 ppg, SENIOR
              Tuttle - 15.4 ppg, 7.7 rpg, junior
              Balentine - 22.3 ppg, sophomore

I do believe several above should have no chance, but the point is, while Balentine and Tuttle may be more deserving of 1st Team consideration, there are a lot of seniors in the above group. Will some of them get the nod because of that?

My guess is 2 Shockers 1st Team (Early/FVV), 1 2nd team (Baker), Cotton Defensive Player of the Year, Carter among the Newcomers.

Comment

Or the voters could just do what they've done with the Defensive Team of the Year" award and award the "team award" to WSU (I.e. MVC conference title) and not name any Shocker to the individuals on the team. Wouldn't put it past them.
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Here's a link to the UNI beat-writers votes. He can't vote for any Panthers:

Please note that his top 4 players were ALL Shockers!!!! Early is his POY, with VanVleet, Baker, Cotton and Odum filling out his first team.

Also, three on the all defensive team (Cotton, Baker, VanVleet).

Carter is 6th man and on the All New-Comer Team.

Marshall is COY.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                  X