Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL LAST UNDEFEATED TEAM IN THE NATION THREAD!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSU went out with the intention of schedualing a very tough non-con. Tennesse and BYU, Along with the big win at ST. louis is not a weak schedual, far from it BYU is actually a tough game for anyone, especially with their shooters. The thing that really hurt was that Alabama didn't hold up and just really slid off the map the last half of the year. They were better their NIT year. My question is , if Indiana State gets to the Championship game without anotheir lost, will they get an at large. They would have about 26 -27 wins. If they didn't get in I quess it would be because of their strength of schedual or lack of. So really it does help to schedual good strong teams, like we do and will continue too, IF THEY WILL PLAY US

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
      I'm guessing that the people using this stat are just talking about regular season and the 76 Hoosiers played 27 regular season games. Same would go for a number of Wooden's UCLA teams and several other undefeated teams in NCAA history.

Or it could be a modern era stat, which we have seen bandied about before (using either the introduction of the 3-point line or 64 team NCAA field as the reference point).

EDIT: I noticed that the 76-77 San Francisco team is on the list and that is appears to include NCAA numbers, so I don't know where those stats are coming from. Doesn't seem like a complete list to me either.
      Just a bad list, I think.

The Indiana State line definitely includes their run to the NCAA finals, too.
      Originally posted by BleacherReport
      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
        My question is , if Indiana State gets to the Championship game without anotheir lost, will they get an at large. They would have about 26 -27 wins. If they didn't get in I quess it would be because of their strength of schedual or lack of.
        According to RPI Forecast, if Indiana State can win every game except the championship game in St. Louis, they would have a shot at a top 30 RPI, which at least gives them a shot. The problem is that they really lack quality wins, with Belmont being their best win on the year (and they split with them).
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

According to RPI Forecast, if Indiana State can win every game except the championship game in St. Louis, they would have a shot at a top 30 RPI, which at least gives them a shot. The problem is that they really lack quality wins, with Belmont being their best win on the year (and they split with them).
          They're really iffy on a "last four in" spot. And I doubt it.
          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Too bad for them, Notre Dame didn't prove to be as good a win as they would of hoped. WSU can relate.

What's funny about this is, people will try to argue ND was ranked when ISUb beat them, but SLU wasn't ranked when WSU won. Funny how that works.
            The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
              Heard something interested over the radio, double-checked it.

If we go undefeated through the MVC tournament and win our first game in the NCAA tournament, we will have the best start in college basketball history.

The teams we've already passed:

#12. Ohio State (24-0, 10-11): Lost in Elite 8, finished 34-3
              #11. Syracuse (25-0, 13-14): Haven't finished season yet
              #7. Memphis (26-0, 07-08): Lost in championship game, finished 38-2
              #7. Stanford (26-0, 03-04): Lost in second round, finished 30-2
              #7. UMass (26-0, 95-96): Lost in Final Four, finished 35-2
              #7. Oregon State (26-0, 80-81): Lost in first round, finished 26-2
              #6. Saint Joseph's (27-0, 03-04): Lost in Elite 8, finished 30-2

The teams ahead of us:

#3. Illinois (29-0, 04-05): Lost in championship game, finished 37-2
              #3. San Francisco (29-0, 76-77): Lost in first round, finished 29-2
              #2. Indiana State (33-0, 78-79): Lost in championship game, finished 33-1
              #1. UNLV (34-0, 90-91): Lost in championship game, finished 34-1
              Memphis did not start the season 26-0, or finish 38-2 in 2008. They played only one game, a regular season loss to Tennessee, finishing the season 0-1.

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                Too bad for them, Notre Dame didn't prove to be as good a win as they would of hoped. WSU can relate.

What's funny about this is, people will try to argue ND was ranked when ISUb beat them, but SLU wasn't ranked when WSU won. Funny how that works.
                I feel no sympathy for them. Their 203rd non-con SOS isn't due to Notre Dame being weaker than expected. Indiana State threw all of their hopes on ND/SLU and scheduled weak outside of that, despite knowing that the MVC was going to be down this year. They didn't give themselves enough outs through smart scheduling.

Simply no excuse for scheduling these games:
                Ball State - Expected RPI 304 - 3 Year Avg RPI 264
                Eastern Illinois - Expected RPI 303 - 3 Year Avg RPI 288
                UMKC - Expected RPI 255 - 3 Year Avg RPI 268
                IUPUI - Expected RPI 322 - 3 Year Avg RPI 286

As far as I can tell, those four games were all willingly scheduled, and all ridiculously poor games long-term. According to RPI Forecast, if you simply dropped those four games from ISUb's schedule their RPI could be 30 even before Arch Madness. Swap those four with teams that are typically in the 100-199 range, maybe you get lucky and one moves into the top 100 and gives you a good win.

I'll give them that Ball State is a regular opponent, and for some crazy reason they decided to schedule a home/home with IUPUI last year. But scheduling home/home series with Eastern Illinois and UMKC this year?

No excuse for scheduling consistently terrible teams if you're trying to compete for an at-large bid in a weakened conference with your senior-laden team that has been much stronger early in the season than later. If they got that noncon SOS to around 100 instead of around 200 they probably have a few more top 100 wins and would be looking at an at-large bid. ISUb deserves to miss the tourney, despite the fact that I think they're good enough to be there.

Comment

I was looking at their schedule earlier ... they really have had a nice season - only three losses in the valley would win in most years.

Comment

I'm breaking the season down this way:

Non-Conference Schedule - Check
                    1st Half of the Valley Season - Check
                    2nd Half of the Valley Season - So far, so good.
                    Missouri Valley Tournament - Our old nemesis - TBD - All Valley teams reset to 0-0
                    NCAA Tournament - A daunting gauntlet to traverse - TBD - All selected teams reset again to 0-0

Comment

Working...
                    X