Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL LAST UNDEFEATED TEAM IN THE NATION THREAD!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
    This is all very good.

The pressure to be perfect is about as close to the pressure of one and done tourney play as it gets. Which helps offset the lack of good teams we are playing.
    Make no mistake, it's not perfection they are after. It's the reckoning.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
      'The Reckoning'....outstanding!

Comment

Congrats Shocks............last man standing!

Comment

Heard something interested over the radio, double-checked it.

If we go undefeated through the MVC tournament and win our first game in the NCAA tournament, we will have the best start in college basketball history.

The teams we've already passed:

#12. Ohio State (24-0, 10-11): Lost in Elite 8, finished 34-3
          #11. Syracuse (25-0, 13-14): Haven't finished season yet
          #7. Memphis (26-0, 07-08): Lost in championship game, finished 38-2
          #7. Stanford (26-0, 03-04): Lost in second round, finished 30-2
          #7. UMass (26-0, 95-96): Lost in Final Four, finished 35-2
          #7. Oregon State (26-0, 80-81): Lost in first round, finished 26-2
          #6. Saint Joseph's (27-0, 03-04): Lost in Elite 8, finished 30-2

The teams ahead of us:

#3. Illinois (29-0, 04-05): Lost in championship game, finished 37-2
          #3. San Francisco (29-0, 76-77): Lost in first round, finished 29-2
          #2. Indiana State (33-0, 78-79): Lost in championship game, finished 33-1
          #1. UNLV (34-0, 90-91): Lost in championship game, finished 34-1

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

If we go undefeated through the MVC tournament and win our first game in the NCAA tournament, we will have the best start in college basketball history.

The teams ahead of us:

I posted this in the Media Love thread but I'll put the link here as well because it's relevant. http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...nished-seasons

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
              Did you just throw out a modified Doc Holliday Tombstone quote? Nice.

Comment

This Wichita State run of success, by playing a 104th ranked schedule, is teetering on the edge of a dangerous precedent. If we end up going undefeated and secure a number 1 seed as a result, it will subsequently generate a rise of 'copy catting' by other non-BCS and BCS programs who will convince themselves that it doesn't pay to scheduling tough. They'll ask themselves, if WSU can get a one seed by playing a weak schedule, then what incentive is there for us to schedule hard. Schedule weak, boost our win total and get a high seed. WSU has shown the path and we will follow. I'm kidding though.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                  This Wichita State run of success, by playing a 104th ranked schedule, is teetering on the edge of a dangerous precedent. If we end up going undefeated and secure a number 1 seed as a result, it will subsequently generate a rise of 'copy catting' by other non-BCS and BCS programs who will convince themselves that it doesn't pay to scheduling tough. They'll ask themselves, if WSU can get a one seed by playing a weak schedule, then what incentive is there for us to schedule hard. Schedule weak, boost our win total and get a high seed. WSU has shown the path and we will follow. I'm kidding though.
                  I hope they do. None of them will go 28-0. Why? Because it's harder than they think.

Comment

The flaw in that logic is that we currently have a 50 in non-conference SoS. Even if we all agree that Tennessee, Alabama, and BYU aren't as strong as we'd all like, we still have a very good non-conference strength of schedule. That's why we'll get some favor from the selection committee. If we were sitting here with a 200ish non-conference SoS (like Indiana State for example), then there'd be an argument. Non-conference scheduling is the key. I have great respect for what Mark Turgeon and Tad Boyle did here, but poor non-conference scheduling is what sent Colorado to the NIT in 2011 and Maryland last year even with very good resume wins in each of those seasons. It's the same reason that Pitt had a 8 seed last year instead of a 4, 5, or 6 seed.
                    78-65

Comment

I know you stated you were kidding, but the math isn't very good for going with a weak schedule. With the 104th best schedule, 200 teams each year must be worse. Going back to the start of the modern era (for me, that mean's 1980), that means 6800 teams have had a schedule as weak or weaker than the one we have played now. In that time, two teams have managed to win every game in the regular season: Saint Joseph's in 2004, and UNLV in 1990 (two other teams achieved the feat in 1979). That means that the odds of weak schedule turning into an undefeated season and #1 seed are 0.0294%. For teams with a tougher schedule, that mark improves to 3.83%

In other words, a team is about 130 times more likely to get a #1 seed the normal way (tough schedule, 1-5 losses) than they are to get a #1 seed by playing weaker opponents and going undefeated.

Comment

I've had 24 hours to give it some more thought and still

#Not Satisfied.

Comment

I'm glad you were kidding.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Speed View Post
                            all this nonsense. I'm not bothering to look up BC's schedule. Their record sucks & they won a road game! A #1 team shouldn't lose at home to a team with that record.
                            btw, WSU is o e win away from a perfect road record this year. Not only do we currently have an undefeated tea
                            m with the mist wins in the country, I suspect nobody has more road wins.
                            That was sarcasm.
                            Originally posted by BleacherReport
                            Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

The teams ahead of us:

Umm, where are the 32-0 national champion 1976 Indiana Hoosiers? The team we're actually chasing?
                              Originally posted by BleacherReport
                              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                                Umm, where are the 32-0 national champion 1976 Indiana Hoosiers? The team we're actually chasing?
                                I'm guessing that the people using this stat are just talking about regular season and the 76 Hoosiers played 27 regular season games. Same would go for a number of Wooden's UCLA teams and several other undefeated teams in NCAA history.

Or it could be a modern era stat, which we have seen bandied about before (using either the introduction of the 3-point line or 64 team NCAA field as the reference point).

EDIT: I noticed that the 76-77 San Francisco team is on the list and that is appears to include NCAA numbers, so I don't know where those stats are coming from. Doesn't seem like a complete list to me either.
                                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Working...
                                X