No announcement yet.

Our friends at Da Cuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading through that thread, there are only a couple of idiots, the majority think we're legit.

Comment

Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
      but some/most of them refuse to realize they have a similar schedule or SOS to Wichita State and ***** about our schedule. How does that make sense? Are there underlying fears that we would beat them in the tourney? They seem to think a round with Creighton, Saint Louis, Wichita State, etc would be a breeze.... That sounds like one of the toughest possible outcomes...not to mention they would...GASP.... be forced to actually play on the road.
      That's my point. They're always going to think that. They're always going to be hypocritical, change the rules of analysis, and just say generally ridiculous things. They aren't going to change, and you aren't going to change them. Seeing Shocker fans go to the boards of BCS schools to complain about a lack of respect makes me cringe. Why do you care? The beauty of college basketball is that in the end, there's an objective metric. You either win six games or you don't. No one needs to pat your back along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose View Post
        After reading through that thread, there are only a couple of idiots, the majority think we're legit.
        Agreed. Syracuse fans overall seem pretty secure about their own program and able to objectively discuss WSU.
        The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by tw805 View Post
          You should probably just save yourself the headache. Arguing with a BCS fan is like arguing with your wife: Circular, with ever-changing rules, and going absolutely nowhere in the end. The regular season rankings don't matter, unless it's a BCS team that's ranked. We have no victories over ranked teams, because St. Louis wasn't ranked at the time. But a BCS school is happy to claim wins over ranked teams that later plummeted way outside the rankings or prove to be horribly overrated. (In the case of Syracuse, see Baylor, North Carolina, Indiana, and Notre Dame.) Finally, a BCS school is happy to show off how well it has done in the tournament, especially if it makes the final four. If you point to a run in the tournament that exceeds that of the BCS school, they note that the tournament rewards "getting lucky," "getting hot at the right time," and they note that "if the teams played seven games, we'd win six."

So I think that pretty much sums up what you would have found had you been able to register. That said, I'm not as down on the Syracuse schedule as many on this board. They have a similar argument to ours on why their SOS isn't as much their fault. Except that whole refusing to leave home thing.
          Preach!

Comment

Originally posted by tw805 View Post
            You should probably just save yourself the headache. Arguing with a BCS fan is like arguing with your wife: Circular, with ever-changing rules, and going absolutely nowhere in the end. The regular season rankings don't matter, unless it's a BCS team that's ranked. We have no victories over ranked teams, because St. Louis wasn't ranked at the time. But a BCS school is happy to claim wins over ranked teams that later plummeted way outside the rankings or prove to be horribly overrated. (In the case of Syracuse, see Baylor, North Carolina, Indiana, and Notre Dame.) Finally, a BCS school is happy to show off how well it has done in the tournament, especially if it makes the final four. If you point to a run in the tournament that exceeds that of the BCS school, they note that the tournament rewards "getting lucky," "getting hot at the right time," and they note that "if the teams played seven games, we'd win six."

So I think that pretty much sums up what you would have found had you been able to register. That said, I'm not as down on the Syracuse schedule as many on this board. They have a similar argument to ours on why their SOS isn't as much their fault. Except that whole refusing to leave home thing.
            So are we to conclude that you have a lot experience arguing with your wife? :friendly_wink:

Comment

The fans most full of their BcS selves based on the small sample of message board participants still has to be Ohio State.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                So are we to conclude that you have a lot experience arguing with your wife? :friendly_wink:
                Kind of tipped my hand, didn't I?

Comment

nm
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Frankly, I'm not mad at all if any other team or their fans thinks we are a fraud. I'm just enjoying the moment. No matter what happens from here on out, these are rare days! Come tournament time, records and conferences cease to matter, and just like everyone else we'll have our chance to prove we belong or even prove we are the best. A part of me is glad that even if we manage to pull off the impossible and go undefeated we won't be coddled; this is a team that plays like it has something to prove, and comments like those in the media and on opposing message boards can only keep us hungry.

Comment

I see them losing twice on the road...Duke and NC....

Comment

I love how the only thing others can pick WSU on is the schedule that they perceive as "weak"... Big schools always look down on schools like SLU and other MVC teams. Yes we have MVC teams that aren't very good at all, but every year in the non-con Valley schools consistently take out a school from a "power" conference.

Indiana State won at Notre Dame.
                        Missouri State beat TXA&M
                        Illinois State beat Northwestern
                        UNI didn't beat any "big" schools but did take Iowa St. to overtime.

I know these teams (besides Iowa St) aren't looked at as power house teams but still can be lumped in as "power" conference schools.

Our schedule features:

2 SEC teams (both had potential and should have been better this season. Tennessee still might turn it around.)
                        SLU (we all know what they have been up to)
                        Davidson and BYU at the top of their respective conferences.

We had opportunities to play schools like Texas but they didn't get past BYU.. Our old rival and really the only team that kept up with us in the Valley is now fighting for the BE conference title in their FIRST year.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocks2005 View Post
                          I love how the only thing others can pick WSU on is the schedule that they perceive as "weak"... Big schools always look down on schools like SLU and other MVC teams. Yes we have MVC teams that aren't very good at all, but every year in the non-con Valley schools consistently take out a school from a "power" conference.

I know these teams (besides Iowa St) aren't looked at as power house teams but still can be lumped in as "power" conference schools.

Our schedule features:

2 SEC teams (both had potential and should have been better this season. Tennessee still might turn it around.)
                          SLU (we all know what they have been up to)
                          Davidson and BYU at the top of their respective conferences.

We had opportunities to play schools like Texas but they didn't get past BYU.. Our old rival and really the only team that kept up with us in the Valley is now fighting for the BE conference title in their FIRST year.
                          I would add to that list North Carolina Central, who has a chance according to the Wall Street Journal to finish their season undefeated. I think they only have 5 or 6 losses this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocks2005 View Post

unfortunately, that is . . . underwhelming.

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock View Post
                              Agreed. Syracuse fans overall seem pretty secure about their own program and able to objectively discuss WSU.
                              The flagship school up north could learn a thing or two from them.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                                The flagship school up north could learn a thing or two from them.
                                Syracuse doesn't have to be insecure because they are #1 and undefeated.

It must suck to be top 10 because of the name on your shirt when you keep losing every chance to prove yourself. At some point you probably would become a little insecure... Not being able to back up your hype with the performance people expect from you.

Especially when someone you continually belittle is the one outperforming you.

Comment

Working...
                                X