HCGM on Sirius XM this evening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's a fireside chat?

Sounds like something that was totally unimportant in American History.
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Segue into a home and home series?
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        Segue into a home and home series?
        Hehe, now there's an idea.

Little story ...

Duke was in the other bracket in 2006 when the Shocks played in the regional at Greensboro and played Southern their first game. WSU had already beaten Seton Hall and Marshall's Winthrop team had lost a close game to Bruce Pearl's Tennessee team. I believe this is where Jim Schaus first met Marshall. I know we were impressed with how his team battled Tennessee.

Anyway, everyone in our little group of Shocker fans was exhausted after the morning session, but Southern was staying at our hotel and had not sold all their allottment of tickets so we bought some evening session tickets from them and went to the games.

The whole Duke entourage and aura was in full force that evening and I sort of got a bad attitude about Coach K and Duke, you know, how they got special treatment and had the money for a whole crapload of assistants, managers, trainers, etc. in suits to coddle the Duke players. Duke won of course, but it was worth going to see the Southern band (think Drum Line).

Just a couple years ago, that attitude changed when I saw the "30 for 30" documentary "Survive and Advance" about the 1983 NC State national championship and the end of Jimmy V's life, and Coach K's caring, love and extra effort put forward to comfort the coach and the whole Valvano and NC State basketball family. Coach K is a smart, articulate man and seems to be a really decent human being.

I stumbled upon his radio program once before and enjoyed the heck out of it. He has a chatty, comfortable style and I'm sure coaches share a bond of mutual respect. I wish I would have heard Marshall on his show.

--'85.
        Last edited by Shocker85; January 30, 2014, 08:04 PM.
        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
          What's a fireside chat?

"Listen America, it's going to be ok. This Depression will only last for 7-8 more years. Please re-elect me 3 times though, because my words will make everything better."

Comment

Originally posted by shockerofandover0943 View Post
            "Listen America, it's going to be ok. This Depression will only last for 7-8 more years. Please re-elect me 3 times though, because my words will make everything better."
            4x learn your history and he did make things better.
            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
              History major/history teacher. :)

Comment

He was elected 4 times, but only re-elected 3 times, so the OP was correct.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by shockerofandover0943 View Post
                  History major/history teacher. :)
                  Gotta laugh at that! Rem 4x elected. Also being 60+ I have known my fair share of WW11 vets (including my Dad) and I can tell you that it is very hard to find anyone from that generation Dem or Rep who will badmouth FDR. Now back to the topic, what else did 3G say.
                  I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Gotta laugh at that! Rem 4x elected. Also being 60+ I have known my fair share of WW11 vets (including my Dad) and I can tell you that it is very hard to find anyone from that generation Dem or Rep who will badmouth FDR.
                    My grandpa wasn't fond of FDR...he was a Dem until the 80s.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Gotta laugh at that! Rem 4x elected. Also being 60+ I have known my fair share of WW11 vets (including my Dad) and I can tell you that it is very hard to find anyone from that generation Dem or Rep who will badmouth FDR. Now back to the topic, what else did 3G say.
                      Yes, he was re-elected 3x. The people of that generation loved him because he gave them hope (read: government jobs, money.) However, unemployment only dipped below 15% once between 1933-1939. That is awful, and that is why the New Deal can be looked at today as not the saving grace it was thought to be. He was definitely popular and a great wartime president. Economically though? Not as much. I'm done with this argument though. Go Shocks.

Comment

Feel free to restrict the discussion to basketball related topics in this forum.
                        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Sorry guys/gals. I think HCGM is a boss.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                            What's a fireside chat?

Okay let's go with this image: Ski lodge, end of the day (no broken legs mind you). Unadulterated, distilled beverage of your choosing, on the rocks. Two comfy leather chairs (no cigars, sorry NOT a smoker), fireplace blazing. Two gentleman regaling one another of their respective journeys down basketballs' version of Route 66 ( uh oh, FDR era). Both speaking in a genteel manner as to the others accomplishments.

That's what I was going for, I guess. Good day sir.:)

Comment

Ya think they taked about a home and home off the air?
                              In the fast lane

Comment

Fireside chats involved some old dead white guy, wsushox1. (Well, dead now -- he was alive back when the chats were taking place.)

Meanwhile, let's get that home and home with Duke underway. I believe WSU actually has a larger arena, don't we?
                                Last edited by WSUwatcher; January 30, 2014, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X