WuShock Mascot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WuShock Mascot

I remember back in the 60', 70's, an 80's, the WuShock was a big, curious, and intimidating creature. His head was massive and at least 1/3 of his total body length. His mid-section was an over-sized, stout, barrel chest. His legs were stubby but powerful. His feet were these big, troglodyte things that looked like cartoon feet. From the videos, etc. I see these days, the WuShock looks like a very slimmed down, de-nuded version of his former self. His head is like a child's Halloween mask, and there is no attempt at all to create the massive proportions of his body. Just looks like a regular human running around. What's the deal? Budget cuts in the sports marketing department? No creativity?

I think it was too difficult to keep the head on. I'm not sure, but I think it was a comfort thing.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by ciaomichael View Post
      I remember back in the 60', 70's, an 80's, the WuShock was a big, curious, and intimidating creature. His head was massive and at least 1/3 of his total body length. His mid-section was an over-sized, stout, barrel chest. His legs were stubby but powerful. His feet were these big, troglodyte things that looked like cartoon feet. From the videos, etc. I see these days, the WuShock looks like a very slimmed down, de-nuded version of his former self. His head is like a child's Halloween mask, and there is no attempt at all to create the massive proportions of his body. Just looks like a regular human running around. What's the deal? Budget cuts in the sports marketing department? No creativity?
      If I remember right the mascot today was the baby wu of the 80s. I remember the big wu at football games and every now and then a smaller wu was out there with him. The current look was introduced in Turgeon days at shocker madness.

Comment

I thought they went to the new look because the old look was too hard to lug around.

Comment

Two fold purpose. Too difficult to wear/haul around and the new one allows WU to be more athletic as in actually being able to run and be more mobile rather than act like a float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Comment

With all the pressure of being thin these days...Wu had to slim down to keep up with the Joneses.
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

The old WU scared children.
              "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

Originally posted by jpshocker View Post
                The old WU scared children.
                Heck, it scared me!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I like the new Wu much more than the old school Wu.

Long wave the yellow and black!
                  ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

I have worn both the head from the 2nd picture of @WstateU: and then I've worn the new head. The difference in weight would be comparing a 1970 Buick's weight to the weight now of a 2014 Prius.

The new Wu's outfit is two layered with the first layer being that of a muscle suit that has pants with suspenders, and a sweat shirt like muscle top. Of which there is no breathability in the material, it's mesh with padding, it's impossible. Then you put on a quarter inch thick Wool sweatshirt and sweatpants which are what is visible to everyone, and then basically a bike helmet inside of Wu's head that you strap under the chin as usual. It's top heavy, and if you're not paying attention, you could lose your balance (I couldn't imagine what the old one would feel like in full gear) and I knew how EO must have felt hitting lights with the head.
                    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Lap band surgery will do that you...
                      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                        I have worn both the head from the 2nd picture of @WstateU and then I've worn the new head. The difference in weight would be comparing a 1970 Buick's weight to the weight now of a 2014 Prius.

The new Wu's outfit is two layered with the first layer being that of a muscle suit that has pants with suspenders, and a sweat shirt like muscle top. Of which there is no breathability in the material, it's mesh with padding, it's impossible. Then you put on a quarter inch thick Wool sweatshirt and sweatpants which are what is visible to everyone, and then basically a bike helmet inside of Wu's head that you strap under the chin as usual. It's top heavy, and if you're not paying attention, you could lose your balance (I couldn't imagine what the old one would feel like in full gear) and I knew how EO must have felt hitting lights with the head.
                        What did you do go clubbing in it?
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                          What did you do go clubbing in it?
                          You know what they say about a guy with a long nose ...
                          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

The third one looks like Richard Nixon. The last like the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz.

Why did they get rid of the skirt?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              You know what they say about a guy with a long nose ...
                              Wu's nose already looks like the mantool you are inferring, so I bet he's good-to-go in that regard.

Comment

Working...
                              X