WuShock Mascot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ciaomichael View Post
    I remember back in the 60', 70's, an 80's, the WuShock was a big, curious, and intimidating creature. His head was massive and at least 1/3 of his total body length. His mid-section was an over-sized, stout, barrel chest. His legs were stubby but powerful. His feet were these big, troglodyte things that looked like cartoon feet. From the videos, etc. I see these days, the WuShock looks like a very slimmed down, de-nuded version of his former self. His head is like a child's Halloween mask, and there is no attempt at all to create the massive proportions of his body. Just looks like a regular human running around. What's the deal? Budget cuts in the sports marketing department? No creativity?
    Post 9/11, they had to shrink it to allow him to get through airport security. I heard there was nasty incident back in 2002 with a metal detector at the Carbondale airport - Turge and Matt Shaw had to use the jaws of life to save him.

Stupid terrorists.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
      Wu's nose already looks like the mantool you are inferring, so I bet he's good-to-go in that regard.
      You don't say? :)

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I remember in the 70's and 80's people would yell for WU to move or sit down because he was blocking the game for people when he was in the stands. I don't know if that had any to do with the new uniform.....
        Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
        Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I had forgotten about Little Wu. That must have been an invention of Ted Bredehoft, along with Shocker bread, the scheme to convert the Cessna Stadium ramps into a ski slope, and various other promotions. I swear, that guy should have been a promoter for Central States All Star Wrestling.

Understand the problems with transporting WuShock on a plane, but why not take WuShock lite on the road, and preserve traditional WuShock at home?

He may have been intimidating to kids, but it was more a sense of wonder. Loved the way he used to roam up in the stands - the kids loved it.

Yes, it is also the grass skirt that is missing. After all, Shocker is short for Wheatshocker - unless that was changed by Turgeon also.

Comment

Originally posted by ciaomichael View Post
            Thanks for the comments. I had forgotten about Little Wu. That must have been an invention of Ted Bredehoft, along with Shocker bread, the scheme to convert the Cessna Stadium ramps into a ski slope, and various other promotions. I swear, that guy should have been a promoter for Central States All Star Wrestling.

Understand the problems with transporting WuShock on a plane, but why not take WuShock lite on the road, and preserve traditional WuShock at home?

He may have been intimidating to kids, but it was more a sense of wonder. Loved the way he used to roam up in the stands - the kids loved it.

Yes, it is also the grass skirt that is missing. After all, Shocker is short for Wheatshocker - unless that was changed by Turgeon also.
            It wasn't just about the travel. At home games, they were regularly having problems with the head being too top heavy and falling off or tipping the whole person off balance.

In addition, the new Wu mascot is also about the redesign of the Wu logo. Some may like the old logo, but once you change the logo it made sense to match mascot to the look of the new logo.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I don't so much mind modern Wu, I just wish he was gold as opposed to canary yellow. Someone wiffed on that when he was ordered from the manufacturer.

Comment

I do hate how so many official things are different shades of Yellow. Uniforms, Wu, Wu on the floor, Devlin Court lettering, etc etc
                ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                  I do hate how so many official things are different shades of Yellow. Uniforms, Wu, Wu on the floor, Devlin Court lettering, etc etc
                  I agree with that. Also the colors are different depending on where you read them (yellow vs gold). They should try better to make it one official shade of yellow.
                  The Assman

Comment

I don't so much mind modern Wu, I just wish he was gold as opposed to canary yellow. Someone wiffed on that when he was ordered from the manufacturer.
                    Our school colors are black and yellow. I believe sunflower yellow to be exact. But as @kai: states there are many shades of yellow. I saw one Shocker fan who I think had made her own Shocker VB shirt this season. When I saw it I ask my wife why is that lady wearing lime green.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Our school colors are black and yellow. I believe sunflower yellow to be exact. But as @kai: states there are many shades of yellow. I saw one Shocker fan who I think had made her own Shocker VB shirt this season. When I saw it I ask my wife why is that lady wearing lime green.
                      I would bet you it is possible to standardize WSU's yellow, and that the color's name is actually a numeric reference to a standardized pallet. I'm not an expert in that field, but I believe it is relatively accurate statement.

Curiously, the worst offender in color odd-ball-ness with regards to our yellow is the paint used on the court floor. It is a very bland and faded looking yellow in person, but when it is on TV it looks almost like highlighter yellow.

But yeah, I really wish the powers that be at WSU would push a harder line on color uniformity in our brand.

Comment

The smaller version was Wee Shock as I remember. Good recall ciao on the shocker bread and the ramps with artificial snow.

Comment

I would bet you it is possible to standardize WSU's yellow, and that the color's name is actually a numeric reference to a standardized pallet. I'm not an expert in that field, but I believe it is relatively accurate statement.

Curiously, the worst offender in color odd-ball-ness with regards to our yellow is the paint used on the court floor. It is a very bland and faded looking yellow in person, but when it is on TV it looks almost like highlighter yellow.

But yeah, I really wish the powers that be at WSU would push a harder line on color uniformity in our brand.
                          When I was preparing my thesis presentation a few years ago (shortly after the logo change) I wanted to use that imagery. I was able to find a very good brand identity standard on the university website complete with logos, fonts, and official colors in RGB definition. I bet it's still out there.
                          You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                            When I was preparing my thesis presentation a few years ago (shortly after the logo change) I wanted to use that imagery. I was able to find a very good brand identity standard on the university website complete with logos, fonts, and official colors in RGB definition. I bet it's still out there.
                            Here it is: http://goshockers.com/fls/7500/Licen...DB_OEM_ID=7500

The official yellow is Pantone 116
                            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                              Anything you could possibly want to know: http://webs.wichita.edu/?u=visualstandards

Comment

I knew you guys would find it much faster :-)
                                You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Working...
                                X