No announcement yet.

WuShock Mascot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long live the Pantone 116 and the Black.

If this evolution keeps up, our mascot will be gluten free.

Anyone remember the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders and the Camel Races at the football games?

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Anyone remember the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders and the Camel Races at the football games?
      Yes and Yes! As I recall there were over 25,000 in attendance for the Cowboy Cheerleaders.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I remember talk of the camel races, but don't remember actually seeing them.

What I do remember about the football games is WSU had this over-zealous radio announcer. His name was Gus Grebe if I recall correctly. Anytime the football team made a big play, he would kind of go nuts with practically his whole body leaning out the window of the press box. It was such a spectacle, half the fans would turn around to see what Gus was doing instead of actually watching the team on the field. Finally, the authorities, concerned for his safety, constructed this contraption with a net to catch him in case he fell out of the press box! Oh, those were the days when sports was fun.

Comment

Scary

My parents took me to a football game at WSU back in the day - I was probably around 8-9. And the Wu Shock Mascot scared the crap out of me. I remember my father insisting that my little sisters and I pose for a picture with Wu and I don't think I had ever been so scared, in fact, I'm fairly certain there were tears involved.
          I still remember the preseason Shocker Madness when they introduced the new and improved Wu - the video they made was awesome. Had the old Wu (at that time) at the beginning of the video starting a new work out program with the Shocker Strength Trainers - and at the end he had evolved into the newer smaller but much more buff WU we know today! I like the new WU!

Comment

Originally posted by ciaomichael View Post
            I remember talk of the camel races, but don't remember actually seeing them.

What I do remember about the football games is WSU had this over-zealous radio announcer. His name was Gus Grebe if I recall correctly. Anytime the football team made a big play, he would kind of go nuts with practically his whole body leaning out the window of the press box. It was such a spectacle, half the fans would turn around to see what Gus was doing instead of actually watching the team on the field. Finally, the authorities, concerned for his safety, constructed this contraption with a net to catch him in case he fell out of the press box! Oh, those were the days when sports was fun.
            My best memory of wsu football was seeing Joe Williams kick that 67 yard FG. He was also a great punter too.

Comment

One of my memories is when a WSU student, slightly inebriated, had an umbrella and was jumping over the wall in the stairwell to see if he could fly, and was calling himself "Mary Popkins."

No major injuries, but he did turn an ankle. (no it was not me)

Comment

my best memory was a certain day in Lawrence.

Comment

Originally posted by Royalno5 View Post
                  my best memory was a certain day in Lawrence.
                  Yes, that was unforgettable. A group of us at work got enough people together to charter a bus up there. We were roughly 1/3 WSU fans, 1/3 KU fans and the rest either K-State people or unaffiliated. After the game was over, one of our managers - a KU guy - got so wasted he was literally crawling on the floor at a bar, all the while muttering "a white boy from Lacrosse" - referring to the WSU receiver who caught the game-winning touchdown pass.

Comment

I do like our yellow uniforms!

Comment

Something else to think about is actual visibility for the people inside of the suit. In the older suits, the person couldn't see very well so they had to have two cheerleaders with them at all times to act as guides. I don't think they have that anymore.

Comment

My favorite mamories were at the k state game.

Comment

Originally posted by fansince80s View Post
                          My best memory of wsu football was seeing Joe Williams kick that 67 yard FG. He was also a great punter too.
                          Mine was beating K-State and Gary Spani back in 85'. Loved watching Prince and Eric Denson play--or Jumpy Gathers.

Comment

Not sure where to put this, so here it is.

WuShock on Omaha Beach, Normandy, France, a few days ago.

wushock omaha.jpg

Comment

wushock notre dame.jpg

Here's Wu at the top of Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris last week. He fits in with the gargoyles.

Can someone remind me how to post the full image inside a post rather than just the thumbnail?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]1181[/ATTACH]

Here's Wu at the top of Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris last week. He fits in with the gargoyles.

Can someone remind me how to post the full image inside a post rather than just the thumbnail?
                                Copy and Paste works for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X