No announcement yet.

No one goes undefeated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting comments by Ken Pomeroy on the subject of WSU going undefeated.

Comment

Memphis went undefeated in Conference USA in 2006-07, 2007-08, and 2008-09. Below is CUSA's Conference RPI rank in each of those seasons:

2006-07: 11th (average .5097)
      2007-08: 10th (average .5164)
      2008-09: 10th (average .5207)

2013-14 MVC: 11th (average .5139)

The MVC is every bit as bad or worse this year than CUSA was during Calipari's reign of terror, and Memphis went three entire seasons without losing a conference game.

I would not bet against us running the table. Also, barring catastrophic injury, we absolutely will not drop more than 2 games in the MVC regular season. The chasm between us and the rest of the conference is measured in light years, not miles. We are roughly 3 solar systems ahead of the next best team.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        I'm not afraid of success. I just understand the grind of the season and the fact that every team will be Super Bowling it up against us. Again, like I said, I hope it's on the lower end of the 2-4 scale and am halfway expecting it that way.

Is it that unreasonable to see the team stub their toes at an Indiana State, Missouri State, and Northern Iowa, and then have one of those "Evansville type" games? I certainly hope it won't be that bad but it wouldn't surprise me given the unpredictability of college basketball... especially on the road.
        I am not afraid of success either, but you respectfully criticized me a couple of weeks ago for that very reason when I was concerned at the overwhelming pressure of being undefeated going into the dance. I am no different than you in this respect...we are realists.

On one hand I root as hard as anyone for a Shocker victory on a game by game basis, however on the other hand having the national media harp on our less than stellar schedule as the reason we would be undefeated would create national attention for the wrong reasons IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
          I am not afraid of success either, but you respectfully criticized me a couple of weeks ago for that very reason when I was concerned at the overwhelming pressure of being undefeated going into the dance. I am no different than you in this respect...we are realists.

On one hand I root as hard as anyone for a Shocker victory on a game by game basis, however on the other hand having the national media harp on our less than stellar schedule as the reason we would be undefeated would create national attention for the wrong reasons IMO.

You'd rather the national media talk about the losses to our less than stellar schedule?

Comment

I am going to have to respectfully remain undecided about being noncommittal concerning not endorsing the antagonist's position in this debate. Or maybe not.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

There's a big difference between your thoughts and mine. I simply am saying it's hard to go through a season unbeaten. We will likely drop a couple. But the difference is that I, in no way, shape, or form, want to lose. As opposed to your belief that you're hoping for a loss to "dial off the pressure of being undefeated". Those are completely opposite feelings. I want us to go 18-0 in the Valley, go 31-0 in the regular season, go 40-0, etc.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                I am going to have to respectfully remain undecided about being noncommittal concerning not endorsing the antagonist's position in this debate. Or maybe not.
                What was the question again.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                  Bad Referees
                  Clock operators from STL
                  Unexplained random events
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

There's a big difference between your thoughts and mine. I simply am saying it's hard to go through a season unbeaten. We will likely drop a couple. But the difference is that I, in no way, shape, or form, want to lose. As opposed to your belief that you're hoping for a loss to "dial off the pressure of being undefeated". Those are completely opposite feelings. I want us to go 18-0 in the Valley, go 31-0 in the regular season, go 40-0, etc.
                    Then we will see. I think I am one of the few that are realistic about what being undefeated going into the dance will actually look, sound, feel and taste like in the big picture.

Comment

Here are RPI Forecast's probabilities on WSU's record (based on 10,000 simulations):
                      Record Probability
                      30-0 7.49%
                      29-1 21.79%
                      28-2 28.31%
                      27-3 22.97%
                      26-4 12.95%
                      25-5 4.87%
                      24-6 1.25%

Two losses is the most likely outcome at this point and four losses is not that much more probable than going undefeated. Over an 80% chance of three or fewer losses, so I would say that if projecting being undefeated is over-optimistic, then projecting four losses is being over-pessimistic. Either zero or four losses are possible, but between one and three looks to be the most realistic at this point.
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Then we will see. I think I am one of the few that are realistic about what being undefeated going into the dance will actually look, sound, feel and taste like in the big picture.
                        So again, you want WSU to lose? Got it.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I put this in another thread, but the NCAA tournament success rate of teams that went undefeated in the regular season is actually very high.

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                          There have been 17 teams to enter the NCAAs with an undefeated record since 1951. Here is the breakdown of how they did:

National Champions - 7
                          National Runner Up - 2
                          Lost in Final Four - 3
                          Lost in Elite Eight - 2
                          Lost in Sweet Sixteen - 2
                          Lost in Round of 32 - 0
                          Lost in First Round - 1 (Columbia in 1951)
                          9 of 17 the championship game. 12 of 17 made the Final Four. 14 of 17 made the Elite Eight. 16 of 17 made the Sweet 16.
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I'm with you. Only a loser would rather lose one game than win it all. Winners relish the chance to thrive under pressure and to reach heights that seem impossible.

Is it likely that the shocks go undefeated? No, but that is what makes the challenge exciting.

Losers accept losing, winners want to win every game. Maybe some people on this board couldn't handle the stress and pressure and I thank the good lord they don't play for WSU.

Comment

This is ridiculous banter. Including mine.

Comment

No, you actually don't get it but that's ok.

Comment

Working...
                                X