Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Top Basketball Team in Kansas Is a Shocker

So how's a Shocker to stay angry?

First, there's the fact that Creighton ditched the Missouri Valley Conference this year for the Big East, leaving Wichita State as the conference's only top-50 team in adjusted-efficiency rankings. There's only one other top-100 team in the conference (Indiana State), down from five more last season. That means Wichita State's next two games, non-conference matchups against Tennessee and at Alabama, could offer the most useful look at Wichita State until the NCAA tournament.

Plus, the program's most reliable source of anger is its status as the Jan Brady in Kansas, always in the long shadow of the Jayhawks, the three-time national champion and proud home of Dr. James Naismith. Kansas, Kansas, Kansas! Kansas came into this season with Andrew Wiggins, thought to be the top NBA prospect since LeBron James. Wichita State had Nick Wiggins, his brother.

But even that resentment may be hard to sustain. It isn't just that Wichita State went two rounds deeper than the Jayhawks in last season's NCAA tournament. In the rankings, Wichita State also has climbed ahead of the Jayhawks, who have lost three of their last four games. Before this season, that had happened for only 69 weeks since 1954.
    And before anyone takes offense at being called Jan Brady, remember: Jan grew up and lived a quiet,normal, respectable life. Marsha ended up trading sex for drugs... :good:
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• It astounds me how HCGM goes on national & regional sports shows and talks about scheduling difficulties and yet the writers and pundits talk about the "lack of ranked teams" on the resume. Very few, except possibly perhaps Katz, Greenberg, & Bilas have commented about the scheduling difficulties. Of course, I could have missed some reports on this but this current story from Yahoo makes the reference.
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
        It astounds me how HCGM goes on national & regional sports shows and talks about scheduling difficulties and yet the writers and pundits talk about the "lack of ranked teams" on the resume. Very few, except possibly perhaps Katz, Greenberg, & Bilas have commented about the scheduling difficulties. Of course, I could have missed some reports on this but this current story from Yahoo makes the reference.
        Gottlieb is the only one that has been ringing that bell consistently. He lacks a substantial argument. Even yesterday on Twitter he made statements that we need to go on the road first, referencing our games against BYU and Tennessee as being "in-state". Of course he totally misses the fact that we went on the road to Tennessee LAST year, and on the road to SLU and Alabama this year...

It is an inconvenient truth to him...

Comment

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
          Gottlieb is the only one that has been ringing that bell consistently. He lacks a substantial argument. Even yesterday on Twitter he made statements that we need to go on the road first, referencing our games against BYU and Tennessee as being "in-state". Of course he totally misses the fact that we went on the road to Tennessee LAST year, and on the road to SLU and Alabama this year...

Not to mention that "in-state" game with BYU was actually played in Missouri. He's a freaking idiot.
          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
            Not to mention that "in-state" game with BYU was actually played in Missouri. He's a freaking idiot.
            Not to mention that there are a bunch of top 25 teams with 0 true road games to date.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

He literally called a WSU road game at a Top 50 opponent. Just goes to show how clueless he was about what was happening that day. Tool. Bag.

Maybe he should get in touch with his highly vaunted Okie State team and let them know there is a team in Wichita that needs a lesson in how to play real basketball... Pretty sure I know which one of those teams has the stones to play the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                He literally called a WSU road game at a Top 50 opponent. Just goes to show how clueless he was about what was happening that day. Tool. Bag.

Maybe he should get in touch with his highly vaunted Okie State team and let them know there is a team in Wichita that needs a lesson in how to play real basketball... Pretty sure I know which one of those teams has the stones to play the game.
                That was part of the Twitter discussion yesterday. His only response was last time we played them it was two for one. A home, home and nuetral in OKC was also brought up. He had no response.

Someone also pointed out that OsU also passed on a game this year in Dallas. He indicated that he heard about that but did not know the details.

Comment

That was part of the Twitter discussion yesterday. His only response was last time we played them it was two for one. A home, home and nuetral in OKC was also brought up. He had no response.

Someone also pointed out that OsU also passed on a game this year in Dallas. He indicated that he heard about that but did not know the details.
                  When comparing the schedules of Top 25 teams throughout the year, and then bubble teams at the end of the year, I think it is prudent to err on the side of the team that is willing to put their game where their mouth is. But then I am admittedly biased as a fan of a team that will take all comers.

Comment

• I came across this ranking today, where the author reverts to the same tired, incorrect arguments that WSU isn't a top-10 team. I rarely comment on blog posts like that, but I couldn't resist this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                      I came across this ranking today, where the author reverts to the same tired, incorrect arguments that WSU isn't a top-10 team. I rarely comment on blog posts like that, but I couldn't resist this time.
                      I legitimately think that guy doesn't follow college basketball. We can't play in Maui or Atlantis every year. You would think returning a lot of players who went to a Final Four would count for something too. Just don't click on the link and drive traffic for this ignoramus.

Comment

• Since some of this thread has lately been devoted to discussion of the idiotic comments by a certain big-mouth, know nothing, blow hard sports media personality, I wanted to share major props to the ESPN crew that did the game yesterday. I watched the replay last night and I was extremely impressed with their level of professionalism, knowledge and fairness. I didn't catch any factual errors, such as calling players by the wrong names or getting their hometowns wrong like a certain other individual has been known to do. It was truly refreshing, and gave me some hope that not all sports media types are as bad as Doug Gottlieb.
                        ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• He mentioned getting in a good tournment for meaningful games. If it's true we could of been a late entry to the Battle for Atlantis, I wish we would of pulled out of the CBE. It would of made a better schedule. In the past Marshall said he liked the CBE, due to giving fans an easy chance to attend a holiday tournament. Last time I heard him speak about tournmeents, sounded like he has cooled on CBE in favor of beaches, which is good because most of them are good tournaments.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

• I think 3G has also said he would love to play in the Battle of Atlantis but has not been able finagle an invite.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                              I came across this ranking today, where the author reverts to the same tired, incorrect arguments that WSU isn't a top-10 team. I rarely comment on blog posts like that, but I couldn't resist this time.
                              Like you said, that clown clearly has no knowledge of scheduling and how hard it is for teams like us. We can only play teams who are willing to sack up and actually schedule us. Martin's "at that level" comments are stupid as well, but I respect him for having the stones to recognize a good team and to put said team on the schedule.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Pickle View Post
                                Like you said, that clown clearly has no knowledge of scheduling and how hard it is for teams like us. We can only play teams who are willing to sack up and actually schedule us. Martin's "at that level" comments are stupid as well, but I respect him for having the stones to recognize a good team and to put said team on the schedule.
                                We'll have to see how his "stones" hold up over the next few years.
                                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                                X