No announcement yet.

Tekele "The Clamp" Cotton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just realized something. We talked about how a bunch of NBA scouts were coming to this game to watch Cle and Ron.

They watched TKO instead. Nobody watched that game and didnt raise an eyebrow a little about Cotton.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
      I just realized something. We talked about how a bunch of NBA scouts were coming to this game to watch Cle and Ron.

They watched TKO instead. Nobody watched that game and didnt raise an eyebrow a little about Cotton.
      Unfortunately, I think the main thought about Cotton will be, "too bad he isn't 3" taller". Stuffing a physical 6'8" guy and then getting down court to finish with a 3-point play may let them cheat him up a couple of inches.

I'm wondering when the NFL scouts start showing up. I don't know his time in the 40, but he's got the stereotypical body for a cornerback or safety.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Vertical Leap

I would love to see the measurement of the vertical leap for each Shocker this year. If Tekele doesn't have the quickest up, he certainly has the quickest recovery when he lands. Watching him try to get the "anticipated" steal on a pass out front and recover before the opponent can catch the ball and take a step is an awesome display of athleticism.

I'd like to see Mr.Baker's, Mr.Coleby's, Mr.Early's and Mr. Carter's vertical numbers, too.

As for TC in football, I would be concerned with is off-and-on if not continual back problems At the CBE, he appeared to be in significant pain on the sideline, but somehow doesn't show it on the court. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Jim Brown ruching for the Cleveland Browns -- he'd just barely be able to scrape himself up from the pile, shuffle back to the huddle and then rip off another 8 yard run dragging three 280 pound defenders with him. It was part of his "act." Just watch Cotton go to the bench or walk into the lineup. Very reminiscent of Mr. Brown.
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Perhaps some of our veterans can back me up but from what I understand he's got a little Warren Jabali Armstrong in him. True of False?

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
            Perhaps some of our veterans can back me up but from what I understand he's got a little Warren Jabali Armstrong in him. True of False?
            In my opinion ,yes. Pound for pound, inch for inch, he plays bigger than his 6'2" body should be expected to play.
            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Ya know, if we're gonna have a vertical contest, no way it is official unless Mr. Wiggins is in it. We have more high flyers on this team than I can recall on any Shocker squad. Top to bottom. With the exception of Fred, every player getting quality time has great hops. Heck, Zach was putting on a dunking exhibition before the game Saturday. It was actually kind of funny. Dude was fired up.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                Ya know, if we're gonna have a vertical contest, no way it is official unless Mr. Wiggins is in it. We have more high flyers on this team than I can recall on any Shocker squad. Top to bottom. With the exception of Fred, every player getting quality time has great hops. Heck, Zach was putting on a dunking exhibition before the game Saturday. It was actually kind of funny. Dude was fired up.
                Marshall likes "long and athletic" and frankly, so do I !!!!!!!
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

Armstrong was also an outstanding passer, on a more frequent and consistent basis than Cotton is. But Tekele is probably the closest WSU has had to Armstrong since he left to become Jabali, and a pretty good approximation, which is high praise indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                    I would love to see the measurement of the vertical leap for each Shocker this year. If Tekele doesn't have the quickest up, he certainly has the quickest recovery when he lands. Watching him try to get the "anticipated" steal on a pass out front and recover before the opponent can catch the ball and take a step is an awesome display of athleticism.

I'd like to see Mr.Baker's, Mr.Coleby's, Mr.Early's and Mr. Carter's vertical numbers, too.

As for TC in football, I would be concerned with is off-and-on if not continual back problems At the CBE, he appeared to be in significant pain on the sideline, but somehow doesn't show it on the court. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Jim Brown ruching for the Cleveland Browns -- he'd just barely be able to scrape himself up from the pile, shuffle back to the huddle and then rip off another 8 yard run dragging three 280 pound defenders with him. It was part of his "act." Just watch Cotton go to the bench or walk into the lineup. Very reminiscent of Mr. Brown.
                    He doesn't have the quickest ups on the team (Holland/Coleby) or the highest (Holland) but he is easily the toughest and the most underrated.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                      Armstrong was also an outstanding passer, on a more frequent and consistent basis than Cotton is. But Tekele is probably the closest WSU has had to Armstrong since he left to become Jabali, and a pretty good approximation, which is high praise indeed.
                      Speaking of outstanding passes, I had a really awesome vantage point on one of Tekele's assists in the first half. I believe he passed the ball to Lufile, but I don't recall who the scorer was. Tekele threaded a needle with a bounce pass while putting some SERIOUS spin on the rock and it rifled like a dart into Lufile's (?) hands. The crowd definitely recognized the pass too. It was outstanding.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                        MVP of the team and probably the league so far IMHO. When you have a superior athlete with the heart of a warrior and a great head on his shoulders, you get Tekele.
                        Agreed. Tekele does so much more than defend. Totally disrupts the opponents flow. Gets that offensive rebound. Boxes out guys 5 inches taller on a regular basis. And he knows how to finish on the offensive end. Don't everyone slam me at once, but without Tekele, Shox would have at least a couple of losses by now. He sets the whole tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
                          Agreed. Tekele does so much more than defend. Totally disrupts the opponents flow. Gets that offensive rebound. Boxes out guys 5 inches taller on a regular basis. And he knows how to finish on the offensive end. Don't everyone slam me at once, but without Tekele, Shox would have at least a couple of losses by now. He sets the whole tone.
                          No way anyone slams that. Weird that you would think that. Without TKO, who knows what the last couple years look like. He is an incredibly important piece, maybe even the most important one. It's hard to measure what he really is worth, much like EO was sometimes (although, I mean come on...)

Anyway, as always Cottons box score isn't always like the others, but he is as big or bigger of the reason we win

Comment

The big thing with Tekele that the stat sheets don't show the timing of his contributions. Seems like more often than not he is the guy making the big play when you need it. And those big plays seem to come in just about any way, shape or form. A big shot, a big rebound, a steal, an assist or a block or a combination thereof. In other words the guy is Mr. Clutch in a big way and in many ways. And he does it without beating his own chest either literally or figuratively. Very humble, very very team oriented indeed.

Get's my vote as Shocker MVP even though he is not good enough to make the Valley All-Defensive team.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 16, 2013, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              The big thing with Tekele that the stat sheets don't show I the timing of his contributions. Seems like more often than not he is the guy making the big play when you need it. And those big plays seem to come in just about any way, shape or form. A big shot, a big rebound, a steal, an assist or a block or a combination thereof. In other words the guy is Mr. Clutch in a big way and in many ways. And he doesn't without beating his own chest either literally or figuratively. Very humble, very very team oriented indeed.

Get's my vote as Shocker MVP even though he is not good enough to make the Valley All-Defensive team.
                              2014 All-MVC Defensive Team
                              1. Tekele Cotton
                              2. Tekele Cotton
                              3. Tekele Cotton
                              4. Tekele Cotton
                              5. Tekele Cotton

Second Team.
                              1. (Insert Name Here)
                              2. (Insert Name Here)
                              3. (Insert Name Here)
                              4. (Insert Name Here)
                              5. (Insert Name Here)
                              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                                2014 All-MVC Defensive Team
                                1. Tekele Cotton
                                2. Tekele Cotton
                                3. Tekele Cotton
                                4. Tekele Cotton
                                5. Tekele Cotton

Second Team.
                                1. (Tekele Cotton)
                                2. (Tekele Cotton)
                                3. (Tekele Cotton)
                                4. (Tekele Cotton)
                                5. (Tekele Cotton)
                                FIFY

Comment

Working...
                                X