More Redbird news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    He will have only lost if those ineligible players don't eventually get eligible at ISU.

They have another player, Lofton, who may be in a similar situation.
    and Hawkins....????
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
      and Hawkins....????
      Here's the CBS article:

4 Weeks. 12 Teams. 1 Cash Prize. Check out the all-new Fantasy Football Player Challenge!

EyeOn
      College Basketball

Illinois St. frosh MiKyle McIntosh ruled non-qualifier by NCAA

By Jeff Borzello | College Basketball Writer

October 3, 2013 11:33 am CT

Illinois State freshman MIKyle McIntosh has been deemed a non-qualifier by the NCAA and will have to sit out this season, sources told CBSSports.com.
      McIntosh, a 6-foot-6 small forward from Canada, is not allowed to play or practice for the Redbirds this year. He will have four years to play beginning in the 2014-15 campaign.
      McIntosh played for 22 Feet Academy (Ky.) last season, but also attended Christian Faith Center Academy (N.C.) in the past. Christian Faith, run by Ro Russell, is the same high school that Xavier Rathan-Mayes attended before Huntington Prep (W.Va.). Rathan-Mayes was ruled a non-qualifier at Florida State this season.
      This is a tough loss for Illinois State, which is still without suspended Daishon Knight and also saw freshman Deontae Hawkins ruled ineligible. Head coach Dan Muller brings back just two players who saw extended minutes last season: guards Nick Zeisloft and Kaza Keane.
      McIntosh was expected to make an immediate impact, as schools like UCLA and Miami – and even Kentucky – were interested at one point in his recruitment.

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
        Which is probably why Shaka picked them...
        Yep. Likely true.

Usually want a cupcake for a home-opener. Last year was FGCU for us, but that ended up being a great game in the end come March.

Comment

Neither Hwkins nor McIntosh can receive financial aid this yer, nd cannot get any assistance with academics other than what is available to any student (no athletic department tutors). KU had a couple guys from Canada in that situation who dropped out because they couldn't afford to pay for the year themselves.

Is there anyone who thinks Hawkins can manage to make grades if he isn't spoon fed?
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            Neither Hwkins nor McIntosh can receive financial aid this yer, nd cannot get any assistance with academics other than what is available to any student (no athletic department tutors). KU had a couple guys from Canada in that situation who dropped out because they couldn't afford to pay for the year themselves.

Is there anyone who thinks Hawkins can manage to make grades if he isn't spoon fed?
            I will reply with my best RDR posting impersonation.

Hawkins will make grades. He will have help. Both academically and financially. Redbirds will not self report. That is all.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

This is just downright comical now. Couldn't happen to a more deserving program and fanbase.

Karma's a b*tch, Redturds.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Actually, I believe one of the articles said that McIntosh can receive financial aid this year.

Comment

And word was that Hawkins can receive academic help.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

NCAA rules on non-qualifiers

Once certified by the NCAA Clearinghouse, what is the difference between a qualifier and a non-qualifier?
                    Qualifier:
                    Eligible for athletically related financial aid, practice and competition during your first year of enrollment at a NCAA member institution.
                    You have 5 years to play 4 seasons in your sport if you maintain your eligibility from year to year.

Non-qualifier:
                    Ineligible for athletically-related financial aid, practice and competition during your first year at a NCAA member institution.
                    You have 4 years to play 3 seasons in your sport if you maintain your eligibility from year to year.*
                    * Non-qualifiers have the ability to gain back a year of eligibility if they complete at least 80 percent of their degree prior to the beginning of their fifth year of college.
                    A non-qualifier gets NOTHING that isn't avilable to every student at the school. IlSU has so many issues with the NCAA right now that they're likely to be watched fairly closely.

Hawkins and McIntosh may have better info on what academic aid is available to all students than the average student there gets. That's legal. If there are tutors paid by the athletic department, Hawkins and McIntosh should not be allowed to use those tutors, even if those tutors are not specifically paid by the athletic department for their work with non-qualifiers.
                    Last edited by Aargh; October 3, 2013, 11:33 PM.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Dumpster fire.

Illinois State might be fine long term with the guys they've brought in, but I doubt Muller lasts long enough to see it.
                      Originally posted by BleacherReport
                      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

NCAA rules on non-qualifiers

A non-qualifier gets NOTHING that isn't avilable to every student at the school. IlSU has so many issues with the NCAA right now that they're likely to be watched fairly closely.

Hawkins and McIntosh may have better info on what academic aid is available to all students than the average student there gets. That's legal. If there are tutors paid by the athletic department, Hawkins and McIntosh should not be allowed to use those tutors, even if those tutors are not specifically paid by the athletic department for their work with non-qualifiers.
                        And the NCAA always goes by the letter of the law. There have been numerous quotes from ISU that they can still assist Hawkins. Maybe they didn't understand the rules and their compliance person doesn't know the rules or told them wrong. But I'm pretty sure the compliance people were talked to before any public comments were made. Which means I'm sure they'd talked to the NCAA before any public comments were made.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          And the NCAA always goes by the letter of the law. There have been numerous quotes from ISU that they can still assist Hawkins. Maybe they didn't understand the rules and their compliance person doesn't know the rules or told them wrong. But I'm pretty sure the compliance people were talked to before any public comments were made. Which means I'm sure they'd talked to the NCAA before any public comments were made.
                          Sub, did the articles say specifically athletic-funded aid or just financial aid? Financial aid can come in the form of a Pell Grant.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                            Sub, did the articles say specifically athletic-funded aid or just financial aid? Financial aid can come in the form of a Pell Grant.
                            What I remember reading, Muller said that he would have the same access to academic help as the rest of the team. The only restrictions were he couldn't practice with the team. I'd have to try and find it, but I also thought that the NCAA was going to let them use the scholarship to allow him to attend, but I could be wrong on that. I may try to find time to go back to the ISU board and see if I can find the articles.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Sub, here's the article and the NCAA did give partial relief.

Comment

Regardless of our local squabbles here about financial aid in not-so-Normal, the bottom line is that Illinois State's basketball program is in disarray at this point. They need to do a lot of improving and a lot of stabilizing to become an asset to Valley (and thus WSU) once again.

Comment

Working...
                                X