Sexton and the Athletic Department, a poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
    Lastly, I think there are a group of people on this board who react negatively to seeing a man of color in charge. That disappoints me greatly. I think time seems to be changing that attitude, but it seems to persist anyway. I also think there are a tiny number of people here who wouldn't be happy with anyone but a 'good ole" boy' in charge no matter what.
    This is absurd, it has nothing to do with race.

Look we all know what the real issue is that's on the detractors' minds but they are too uncomfortable to get it out there: They simply think he isn't TALL enough to be AD. There, I said it. If we can't get this conversation started, we can't heal.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by fastbow View Post
      Don't forget the award the marketing team won for #WatchUs. He has built a team that seems to know social media.
      The Internet WAS invented before Sexton was AD. Soooo....

Comment

Originally posted by Remember'70 View Post
        The Internet WAS invented before Sexton was AD. Soooo....
        Yeah, but Eric was a big help to Al in creating the internet.

Comment

Maybe a better poll question would be "considering the fact that Sexton is a robot, how would you rate his performance so far"

I would say he's doing great for a robot.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            It sure helps when the school's most profitable and prolific sport is riding on one of the biggest highs of its life. The hire that led to that high was made by a previous administration.

Give Sexton the Scott Thompson era and show me a multi-million SASO number and I would be very impressed.

Again, it's good that funds are being raised, but let's not pretend like there are other issues involved that help the process out immensely that aren't directly related to the current athletic director.
            Sure there are other issues involved, even the economy. Which by the way probably had a bigger impact the year before which was when the bio was written as it said Sexton was entering his 5th year (he's now completed 5 years). I fully agree Sexton hasn't had to pull the program out of the crapper, so we don't know how he do in those circumstances. Do you really want to know or would you rather have the athletic programs continue in their current direction. There is something to be said for the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
              If the baseball team is back in Omaha in 3 years, then your entire post becomes really valid. Again, great inherited success. The real tip of the scale will occur when one of Sexton's hires makes as big a splash.
              If the Shocks make it back to the CWS in three years, Sexton will probably pass JS as a WSU AD. I also don't expect it to happen. Heck, it took HCGM 6 years to get the BB team to the E8/F4 and he had the benefit of not only being a Shaus hire, but following Shaus's previous hire. I don't know how much damage Krusty did to the program, but even with his stature, the baseball team had become very average.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                I have noticed there is a core group of posters here, who have given nothing, but love to the AD.

As of this post, the "haters" comprise 28% of those, who have voted in the poll. It must be a bunch of libertarians, who are led by Ron Paul or Michelle Malkin.
                Just curious how you know who has given and who hasn't, since this is an anonymous poll. As for those that "love" the AD, (based those responding "great" in the poll) it appears to be around the same as those that are neutral (jury still out) or worse. Sorry RDR, but this seems like another straw man. I am not recalling anyone who said they LOVE Sexton. I think the poll results speak for themselves how Shockernet posters view things.

Clearly this is a topic of interest to many Shocker fans as it comes up frequently, and not just by me, with the most recent examples where a lot of opinions were offered was during the firing of Gene Stephenson and then the hiring of Todd Butler.

I was not sure how it would come out, so the results are interesting. While having a poll directly comparing Sexton to Schaus might also be interesting, I'm not sure how that is relevant to the current status of Athletic Dept, since Schaus has been gone five years.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                  Just curious how you know who has given and who hasn't, since this is an anonymous poll. As for those that "love" the AD, (based those responding "great" in the poll) it appears to be around the same as those that are neutral (jury still out) or worse. Sorry RDR, but this seems like another straw man. I am not recalling anyone who said they LOVE Sexton. I think the poll results speak for themselves how Shockernet posters view things.

Clearly this is a topic of interest to many Shocker fans as it comes up frequently, and not just by me, with the most recent examples where a lot of opinions were offered was during the firing of Gene Stephenson and then the hiring of Todd Butler.

I was not sure how it would come out, so the results are interesting. While having a poll directly comparing Sexton to Schaus might also be interesting, I'm not sure how that is relevant to the current status of Athletic Dept, since Schaus has been gone five years.
                  I was merely mocking Fastbow, page 1, post #10.

"If someone disagrees with me, he must be a hater."

This is a standard tactic of one of the political parties.
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                    I was merely mocking Fastbow, page 1, post #10.

"If someone disagrees with me, he must be a hater."

This is a standard tactic of one of the political parties.
                    Gotcha and you are very correcto. I should have known better. The political parties are the worst about the use of the straw man. If you are for reduced taxes and spending, then some on the left accuse you of wanting schools and roads to crumble.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                      Gotcha and you are very correcto. I should have known better. The political parties are the worst about the use of the straw man. If you are for reduced taxes and spending, then some on the left accuse you of wanting schools and roads to crumble.
                      I don't want to start a serious political conversation but since every politician says they're going to reduce taxes and have for as long as I can remember, it's a wonder we're still paying them.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                        Lastly, I think there are a group of people on this board who react negatively to seeing a man of color in charge. That disappoints me greatly. I think time seems to be changing that attitude, but it seems to persist anyway. I also think there are a tiny number of people here who wouldn't be happy with anyone but a 'good ole" boy' in charge no matter what.
                        What an asinine comment.

Besides, Sexton is about as "black" as Steve Urkel. Give me a break.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                          Found this on goshockers.com: In addition, the largest amount ever raised for WSU's Shocker Athletic Scholarship Organization was achieved this fiscal year at $3.1 million. "Even in these challenging economic times, our donors and supporters continue to respond to the sound of the call to assist us in supporting our sport teams and to help our student-athletes achieve excellence," Sexton said.
                          I'm not sure where you got the $3.1M figure, but I'm pretty sure it's a dated figure. The most recent fiscal year for SASO came in at roughly $4M. My source on that is the SASO office directly. I'm sure they'd tell you as well if you called and asked.

Comment

I think Schaus was better than Sexton, therefore, I am a racist.

I think Warren G Harding was better than Obama, therefore, I am a racist.

The difference is that I think Sexton is doing a pretty good job.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                              I think Schaus was better than Sexton, therefore, I am a racist.

I think Warren G Harding was better than Obama, therefore, I am a racist.

The difference is that I think Sexton is doing a pretty good job.
                              Yes, but what are your thoughts on rodeo clowns?

Comment

Don't go to rodeos, but have "morning coffee" friends that do. They tell me that bulls have been runnin over Presidents for decades. I'd say that it's disrespectful, but that's all.

Comment

Working...
                                X