Sexton and the Athletic Department, a poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    One of the plusses for Eric was supposed to be his connections and fund raising ability. I admit, I have no idea how he's done there as I don't know a lot of people in those circles and have no idea how much he's been able to generate with his abilities. So I can't say much there.
    Found this on goshockers.com: In addition, the largest amount ever raised for WSU's Shocker Athletic Scholarship Organization was achieved this fiscal year at $3.1 million. "Even in these challenging economic times, our donors and supporters continue to respond to the sound of the call to assist us in supporting our sport teams and to help our student-athletes achieve excellence," Sexton said.

Comment

I think Sexton's doing a great job. If I had a beef with him, it would be because he's a little conservative. I chalk that up to management style.

For seconds, he hasn't had to make a tough call until he canned Stevenson. Personally I would've liked to have seen this sooner, but he also risked alienating some of the whales that give most of the money to the department. For maintaining the department at a high level, he deserves profs.

Lastly, I think there are a group of people on this board who react negatively to seeing a man of color in charge. That disappoints me greatly. I think time seems to be changing that attitude, but it seems to persist anyway. I also think there are a tiny number of people here who wouldn't be happy with anyone but a 'good ole" boy' in charge no matter what.

I only wish I had been able to vote. I will say I think he's a solid B, perhaps B+. As long as we continue to experience a degree of success in Men's basketball and pick the men's baseball up, as well as the improvement in women's basketball and volleyball, I would give him an A+.

I think this goal is very achievable.

Comment

Thanks to the moderator. When I came back to this thread, lo and behold, I was able to vote. Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
          Found this on goshockers.com: In addition, the largest amount ever raised for WSU's Shocker Athletic Scholarship Organization was achieved this fiscal year at $3.1 million. "Even in these challenging economic times, our donors and supporters continue to respond to the sound of the call to assist us in supporting our sport teams and to help our student-athletes achieve excellence," Sexton said.
          How much of that is him and how much of it is simply the success of our teams? It's a hard thing to judge.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post

Lastly, I think there are a group of people on this board who react negatively to seeing a man of color in charge. That disappoints me greatly.
            I don't think race has anything to do with it. At least for most of the ones who question his leadership abilities or whatnot. I think calling people racists because they have taken a wait and see approach and haven't seen anything of significance is absurd. It's like calling someone a racist because they don't agree with how Obama has run the country. Actions play a bigger part than race for most. If there are those who let race impact their view they are very few and very far between here.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

How much of that is him and how much of it is simply the success of our teams? It's a hard thing to judge.
              No credit for Sexton? I don't think it's too hard to judge. The man in charge gets ALL credit and ALL blame. He retained HCGM and as long as he does that and Marshall wins, I'm onboard!
              Livin the dream

Comment

No racism here. Just people who won't give him credit for the good things that happen under his watch but are more than willing to jump on the negative things that may happen. Schaus was a PR genius and wanted to be the face of the program (with his own radio show for his first year to tell people everything he would do to improve the Shocker program). Sexton doesn't try to be the face of the program but a whole lot of great things are happening within the athletic department that fair people would give him credit for (winning, re-hiring Marshall, Lamb, and other very good Shocker coaches, raising records amounts of money, winning awards for the athletic dept. for marketing, firing the baseball coach and making a nice hire, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                  No credit for Sexton? I don't think it's too hard to judge. The man in charge gets ALL credit and ALL blame. He retained HCGM and as long as he does that and Marshall wins, I'm onboard!
                  I'm not one of those people who do that in any situation so I won't here.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

If donations had gone down would it be him or the economy. It's a hard thing to judge.

I don't think race has anything to do with it. At least for most of the ones who question his leadership abilities or whatnot. I think calling people racists because they have taken a wait and see approach and haven't seen anything of significance is absurd. It's like calling someone a racist because they don't agree with how Obama has run the country. Actions play a bigger part than race for most. If there are those who let race impact their view they are very few and very far between here.
                    Agree!

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                    ADES has now been here 5 years. This year the men's BB team went to a F4, the women's BB team made their first NCAA, the volleyball squad made the S16 for the first time, and WSU set a record for the best score in the MVC All Sports Trophy. I think some here don't give enough credit to not only keeping the things headed in the right direction, but for raising the level of performance throughout WSU athletics and its promotion.

Comment

I have to agree that race does not appear to be in play here to any significant degree. Yes, it's impossible to know what is really in an anonymous poster's heart and mind, but I have seen no evidence whatsoever from anyone on either side of the discussion that race is in anyway an issue or a factor. To suggest otherwise is somewhat disconcerting and IMHO irresponsible in that there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        The poll probably should be who was the better AD, Jim Schaus or Eric Sexton. Actually, I don't think we need a poll to know what the answer to that question would be in a landslide.
                        Creating that poll would make about as much sense as creating this poll. It's freaking pointless and was used to stroke ABC's ego. He's the one that just couldn't help himself in the Shocker video thread. People ***** about this issue always coming up. Welp, you can blame this recent resurgence right back at ABC.

I might just create the poll you mentioned, just for kicks. I can assure you I know where 1 rock solid vote for Sexton would come from.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

It sure helps when the school's most profitable and prolific sport is riding on one of the biggest highs of its life. The hire that led to that high was made by a previous administration.

Give Sexton the Scott Thompson era and show me a multi-million SASO number and I would be very impressed.

Again, it's good that funds are being raised, but let's not pretend like there are other issues involved that help the process out immensely that aren't directly related to the current athletic director.
                          Last edited by ShockerFever; August 15, 2013, 11:30 PM.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                            Lastly, I think there are a group of people on this board who react negatively to seeing a man of color in charge. That disappoints me greatly. I think time seems to be changing that attitude, but it seems to persist anyway. I also think there are a tiny number of people here who wouldn't be happy with anyone but a 'good ole" boy' in charge no matter what.
                            Wow. Did you really just pull out this card?

That was amazingly ignorant and came from very low in the barrel. Congratulations.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

ADES has now been here 5 years. This year the men's BB team went to a F4, the women's BB team made their first NCAA, the volleyball squad made the S16 for the first time, and WSU set a record for the best score in the MVC All Sports Trophy. I think some here don't give enough credit to not only keeping the things headed in the right direction, but for raising the level of performance throughout WSU athletics and its promotion.
                              If the baseball team is back in Omaha in 3 years, then your entire post becomes really valid. Again, great inherited success. The real tip of the scale will occur when one of Sexton's hires makes as big a splash.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Don't forget the award the marketing team won for #WatchUs. Besides the money numbers and the Butler hire, that might be one of the biggest things that ADES has been directly responsible for. He has built a team that seems to know social media.
                                Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                                Students > Alumni
                                If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                                The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Working...
                                X