No announcement yet.

13/14 Commitment Summary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The smart money is on FVV, Baker and Cotton getting most of the minutes.

However, I have a funny feeling deep inside that Nick is gonna surprise some people.

Unless he just doesn't have it in his blood, which is hard for me to believe, I wouldn't mind making a small wager that he comes out hot. A senior year puts your back against the wall and work ethic and drive are usually at their peak. I will admit that I don't expect much from him or Chadrack, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Team Canada really comes ready to play

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
      In case the OP just wanted an idea of the new players of our roster, here is what I've gathered:

Redshirt Freshman:
      SF/PF, Derail Green (6'7, 200): 3PT shooter. Redshirted last year for defensive reasons, but supposedly the best shooter on the team. I'd expect him to play a Wiggins-esque role of instant offense at either the SF or PF positions as the situation demands. Defense is still a question mark.
      Is this statement based onsomething the coaches said regarding Derail, or just supposition? I don'tknow whether he plays defense or not, haven't seen much of him in a structured setting. I do know that he needed to gain some weight if he is to be very effective bangingaround inthe MVC. He drew so many charging fouls in high schoolIexpected him to play good "team"defense, if not on ball defense,and to be a very smart player on defense as well.

I'm not at all saying he'll earn prminent minutes this season,or that he won't. Just really want to understand what this comment is based on, supposition or soemthing heard, or publicized (that I missed).
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I think Wessel starts at SF most of the time, because coach likes good defense to start a game, and Wessel is good defensively and a hustler. Early may start at SF in some of the really tough games though. We sure look like we have some talented players on the team,and it looks to be another exciting year.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9 View Post
          I think Wessel starts at SF most of the time, because coach likes good defense to start a game, and Wessel is good defensively and a hustler. Early may start at SF in some of the really tough games though. We sure look like we have some talented players on the team,and it looks to be another exciting year.
          Do you think Cotton or Baker starts the game on the bench?

Comment

Wessel started last year.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              Wessel started last year.
              And part of that could have been because Cotton was gimpy to begin the year.
              You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

[QUOTE=im4wsu;413268]Is this statement based onsomething the coaches said regarding Derail, or just supposition? I don'tknow whether he plays defense or not, haven't seen much of him in a structured setting. I do know that he needed to gain some weight if he is to be very effective bangingaround inthe MVC. He drew so many charging fouls in high schoolIexpected him to play good "team"defense, if not on ball defense,and to be a very smart player on defense as well.

HCGM has mentioned on several shows that Derail if not the best shooter on the team is a close second.
                "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
                which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                  Is this statement based onsomething the coaches said regarding Derail, or just supposition? I don'tknow whether he plays defense or not, haven't seen much of him in a structured setting. I do know that he needed to gain some weight if he is to be very effective bangingaround inthe MVC. He drew so many charging fouls in high schoolIexpected him to play good "team"defense, if not on ball defense,and to be a very smart player on defense as well.

I'm not at all saying he'll earn prminent minutes this season,or that he won't. Just really want to understand what this comment is based on, supposition or soemthing heard, or publicized (that I missed).
                  It was said that his lateral quickness was suspect against MVC SFs and his slight build was a disadvantage against all forwards.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                    Do you think Cotton or Baker starts the game on the bench?
                    I think Wessel is first wing off the bench.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

I'll put it this way.

If anyone beats out Coleby, Early, Cotton, Baker and FVV...you might as well start making vacation plans for next March.

Heck, you might as well start planning for March regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                        I'll put it this way.

If anyone beats out Coleby, Early, Cotton, Baker and FVV...you might as well start making vacation plans for next March.

Heck, you might as well start planning for March regardless.
                        This is how I feel. I get that people say Wessel started last year. My initial thought is that a big part of that was Cotton's injury. But even if that isn't true, and Wessel really was the best 3 we had, I don't think you can underestimate starting on a Final Four team for a season. Early, Cotton, and Baker all started on a team that made it to Atlanta. FVV was basically our sixth man on that team. I think it's so unlikely that if one of them DOES come off the bench, make April travel plans. To me, those guys are starting.

Comment

Wessel and Carter are my sure fire first off the bench players. After the top 7, I'm not sure if Wiggins, Green, Lufile or Morris will see significant minutes or not.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

That comment wasn't meant to say that Green has major defensive lapses in judgement ala Wiggins and Early, but to say that he simply didn't have enough meat on his bones to guard players at SF or PF last year, similar to Rian Holland this year. I haven't seen Marshall actually call him out on defense, but Green mentioned that he needed to work on his strength in this article. With his offensive ability, I think he would have played last year if Marshall thought he was physically strong enough.

Comment

My starting rotation is bit different than most opinions so far. Let's put this summer-time speculation in perspective. Most of the posters here a year ago had Wessel ane Baker as the last two guys off the bench.

I'm going to put the starters as FVV, Baker, Wessel, Early, and Coleby. I've got Cotton first off the bench. I've also got Cotton playing almost exclusively in the back court, not the wing.

SF is the situational position. Against 3-guard or 4-guard teams, Cotton gets minutes at SF. Against NCAA-type or BCS-type teams, Early gets minutes there, because those teams tend to go tall all across the front court.

The progress off Wiggins, Carter, and Morris could affect the lineup all the way to SG, depending on the lineup we're facing.

The lineup I want to see in April has Coleby, Carter, Early, Baker, and VanVleet tipping it off. With Cotton, Wessel, Bowles, Morris, and Wiggins ready to come in to keep plenty of fresh legs all the way in the tourney.

The Fr can be brought along slowly. Give them enough minutes to get them some game time and get their game legs under them, but I doubt they'll be needed in pressure situations like FVV and Baker saw in the tourney. Morris could be the exception to that. I get a feeling he's going to be really hard to keep off the court by the end of the season. Green gets another year of development, but this one counts against his eligibility. Green might end up being a "tweener" - not quite a PF and not quite a SF.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                                My starting rotation is bit different than most opinions so far. Let's put this summer-time speculation in perspective. Most of the posters here a year ago had Wessel ane Baker as the last two guys off the bench.
                                Fair point. But we also lost almost our entire starting lineup last season. We lost five of our seven leading minutes guys. That was a lot of open starting positions.

Not really the case this year, where we return five of the top eight leading minutes players. Of the five guys starting at the end of last season (Armstead, Baker, Cotton, Early, Hall), we return three of them, and Wessel clearly won't play at either of the two spots that opened up -- those are locked in for FVV and Coleby.

I certainly wouldn't say Wessel won't start ... but he'd have to take the spot from a starter on a Final Four team. I'd be very surprised if Cotton isn't starting. He's the most experienced player on the team in Marshall's system and possibly the poster-child for how he wants the team to play.
                                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                                X