No announcement yet.

MVC Standings Predictions thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you go undefeated in Jan. - Feb. it has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with what's between the ears. There is almost always a valley sometime for every team. There won't be another 3 or4 losses in a row this year but we won't go undefeated either.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      The Shox are stacked, but I won't predict an 18-0 finish. They always seem to find a way to not show up for a few games a year. I'd say 16-2, 2 games in front of the Trees.
      I agree in the sense that we seem to "go through the motions" for a game or two and lose to someone we shouldn't. Keep in mind too, we will have the sole target on our chest. With sCUm gone we are the lone superpower in the conference and will be everyone's championship game. That aside I think we are up for the challenge and will leave everyone in the dust.

With Armstead and Hall gone, we have no proven leaders on the squad. While I see Early as a different person from last year to this, he may assume the leadership role and seems to have the focus--definitely the talent. Hard to believe that Tekele is now the most experienced on the team as a Junior--he may lead by quiet example--Baker and FVV too.

What I like about HCGM is his ability to adapt. He realized the differences between what was needed to be successful at Winthrop versus WSU--and adjusted accordingly. As a result we are primed for national prominence year over year. The last thing I think is important is that we are now in the same position that Louisville was the year before last. They made a FF appearance and fell short, but tasted the success and realized what additional motivation and attention was needed to go the extra step and win a National Championship--that is where we are this year. Cle, Baker, FVV, Cotton, and the rest of the team got a taste of success and now have the focus to push through. I think the Valley and OOC will give us an idea of how well they listened from last year, and we will indeed see the result--absolutely can't wait.
      Last edited by shocksrbest; July 14, 2013, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
        Lots of talk about MSU being a decent MVC team this year, and they have some talent and will add Gulley back to the roster this year as well as some immediate help recruits. Still, we are talking about a HUGE jump from last year if you put them in the top 4.
        Yep. MSU will absolutely be better. They'll be better and the Valley will be worse. But they were TERRIBLE last year.

Just remember that when WSU went 11-20 in Marshall's first year, we only improved to 17-17 the second year. I'm absolutely not willing to say that MSU is going to turn things around faster than we did. Lusk is not Marshall. Adding Gulley is good, and he might be an upgrade over Downing ... but I think 18 wins is their ceiling. Unless the Valley is even worse than I thought. I think we still beat them by double digits in every game we play.
        Last edited by Rlh04d; July 14, 2013, 12:20 PM.
        Originally posted by BleacherReport
        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

A perfect Valley record doesn't happen often. Something like once or twice if I remember right from reading that prediction from CU fans last year.
          In the fast lane

Comment

It is probably a stretch, but CU was predicting that kind of record in a year where several schools had reasonably strong senior classes. It is no surprise they had some losses even though they were pretty good. This year I can barely find a team that has any level of known intimidation at all other than ISUb.

If I predict a loss it would be because it seems logical to hedge my bets, not because I see a team that looks good enough to do it

Comment

I haven't looked that close at the Valley teams yet, but I am surprised at where a number of posters have a few of the teams.

MSU 2nd by some? They have some nice young players who will improve, but their recruiting class is just OK at best. They swapped in Gulley for Downing. MSU finishing in the top 4 spots will only come from a case of not only their improvement, but from a log jam in the Valley coming down to meet them.

Evansville in the top half? Wow! Marty's very good, but that would be his best yet. The Aces didn't just lose Ryan. They will also be without Cox (#2 in scoring and minutes), Taylor (# 4 scoring, #3 minutes), Jones (#5 in scoring, minutes), plus reserve Nelson who transfers (8 mpg), and Jahr who they kicked off at mid-season who had been playing over 14 mpg. That's a lot of points, minutes, and senior leadership to replace. Excuse me if Simmons reloads like Marshall, but I think their recruiting class is so-so over all.

Be careful underestimating the Redbirds. Yes, they've put together a lot of new faces, but their recruits appear to be quality players. 2 of their 5 JUCO players will be coming in with 3 years eligibility as well. So they should have a tough time, particularly in the OOC. That's the problem for the rest of the Valley. If they are able to put some team chemistry into the mix by conference time, they may not be the pushovers some think.

Ill St may have as good a chance as UE or MSU to finish in the top half. Why? This could be another year like 11-12 where 5 teams tied for 3rd place. Of course, I looked at that as 5 teams also tied for 7th place, one game out of 8th.

Comment

I think WSU at 16-2 is a reasonable and would put the O/U at 15 conference wins. Indiana State will be good and a loss to them on the road wouldn't surprise. A second or third loss to whomever is likely.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 05:06 PM.

Comment

I agree with the one loss 89 is predicting. Not sure the Gerry Pollards, John Higgins, and other crews will allow us to go undefeated.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Drake the last to go 18-0 in 2008?

Dear God, we gotta change that.

Comment

Originally posted by SirShoxAlot View Post

Drake went 15-3 that year
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SirShoxAlot View Post

It's been done twice. Bradley went 16-0 in 1986. Of course Larry Bird's Indiana State is the other.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

Not sure where to put this and didn't want to start a new thread. Here's an article on Balentine of UE and their plans this season. Sounds as if Marty and company want to get out and run a little this season. Personally, I'd be a little surprise if the Pimps tried to run with us, but we can hope they want to get up and down a bit more.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              Not sure where to put this and didn't want to start a new thread. Here's an article on Balentine of UE and their plans this season. Sounds as if Marty and company want to get out and run a little this season. Personally, I'd be a little surprise if the Pimps tried to run with us, but we can hope they want to get up and down a bit more.
                              It's thinking like this from other coaches that could help push WSU being closer to going undefeated in conference. UE muddies it up against WSU. It's the main reason they seem to beat WSU or atleast keep the games close most of the time.
                              Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
                              Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by capnkirk View Post
                                It's thinking like this from other coaches that could help push WSU being closer to going undefeated in conference. UE muddies it up against WSU. It's the main reason they seem to beat WSU or atleast keep the games close most of the time.
                                On the flip side, they might try running more for the most part, but change the gameplan against WSU. They will know the best chance they have is to make the game ugly. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of teams do that next year, knowing it gives them the best chance to win. Not that they will be able to hold us down for the whole game.
                                You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Working...
                                X