CBS contract for basketball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    I was looking for coverage and didn't think KNSS had quite this kind of range. I'm not familiar with what stations are where and who could even be interested in broadcasting WSU games if done right, but it would be nice if we had a few.
    WSU used to have some other stations that picked up Shocker basketball games. Back in the 80s my dad listened to games on a Concordia station. In more recent years a Wellington station used to carry all of the games and WIBW in Topeka used to carry some games (WIBW is a good station to have because they have a huge range).

For afternoon baseball games I can usually start picking up the KNSS signal right outside of Topeka and get it all the way to Wichita. In Topeka itself it is very hard to pick up, I think there is too much interference (although sometimes I can get the signal in Topeka too).

Comment

I think this map is the more correct map for KNSS (it says 1240 but I think they have the maps reversed).

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
        I think this map is the more correct map for KNSS (it says 1240 but I think they have the maps reversed).

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin...atus=L&hours=U
        AM radio is a funny animal. Unlike FM, which travels through the air (Line of sight), AM radio travels trough the ground. Type of soil, magnetism and time of day come into play. Lots of things have an effect on AM. Interesting tidbit, the lower on the dial an AM station is located, the further it's signal will travel. A 5,000 watt station located at 600 on the dial can quite possibly be picked up further away than a 50,000 watt station located at 1400 on the dial. And all of that goes back to conditions as well.

End of my Cliff Claven
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I was playing around on the radio-locator site but apparently you can only look up so many things before it blocks you for the day. It appeared that with just five stations or so we could cover most of central and south central as well as southeast kansas with some western push. Granted, it would depend on which stations and I was only looking at AM.

I'm not sure what would be needed for other stations to find Shocker basketball valuable, but it'd be nice if we could make it attractive to a handful of them. I didn't have a chance to cross-reference what stations KU/KSU use as that would eliminate who we could use on a regular basis. WIBW carries KU. But there appeared to be some stations in and around Salina, Great Bend and Pratt that had pretty decent coverage. I was just looking into SE KS when I used up my daily allowence of searches as I noticed some decent coverage in the Pittsburg, Coffeyville, Independance areas. You'd only need one in one of those cities, or another in the area, to cover the SE part of the state. Or at least a decent portion of it.

Hopefully the WSU brand increases around here and we can eventually get a network of stations going again. And it doesn't have to be as spread out as I was looking to make it.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            Cox it is
            Well, crap! Upon reading the thread title, I was really hoping for a more readily available viewing option. Maybe with continued success, more games will be picked up by other stations and Cox 22 will be squeezed out.
            “Confrontation simply means meeting the truth head-on.”

Mike Krzyzewski

Comment

This thread is worthless without pics

This would appear to be the Evie Haertl being discussed
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopsnut View Post
                Well, crap! Upon reading the thread title, I was really hoping for a more readily available viewing option. Maybe with continued success, more games will be picked up by other stations and Cox 22 will be squeezed out.
                I believe Cox has the contract for at least a couple more years. I understand the pros and cons to them having the games. Perhaps one of the other networks will see us as a valuable asset and up the bid next time it's up for grabs. I'd rather us be on KWCH/KAKE/Fox/WB/Whatever the other station is so everyone could have access no matter what provider they had. But money goes a long way. Hopefully we keep making some runs in March and our value goes up in the eyes of the execs at those other networks. Good news is if we do keep making runs, we could find ourselves with more national games as well.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

this is Evie Haertl

and more shocker pride...

Attached Files
                  "Valley-shaking, nation-waking 29-game win streak." - Paul Suellentrop, The Wichita Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by Spaulding View Post
                    ADES should be run out of town! That no good AD has done nothing fir WSU. He's just a fundraiser. I bet Jim Schaus had this lined up before he left.
                    AD Sexton wears cuff links.

How will the average fan ever know the income benefit from the CBS deal?

Three million per year?
                    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                      I have a hard time believing WSU's Tier 3 rights are worth as much as Creighton's Tier 1/2 rights.

I mean, I'd love to believe it, but it'd take some convincing. $3-4 million a year for Tier 3 rights would be a shockingly good deal. Very few schools get that much for those rights. Although Kansas is a basketball state, and KU's radio rights are worth a ton because of it.
                      You are so correcto.

Just a little bit of mental math tells me that $3 million per year is a stretch - a long stretch.
                      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3 View Post

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin...atus=L&hours=U
                        That one is definitely more accurate than the previous one posted. Reception around Hutch is very spotty after dark. On the way home from games the signal becomes almost unlistenable about five miles SE of Hutch.

Since pretty much all games are at night, I'd rather have them on an FM station I can actually pull in consistently in Buhler. But that's just me and a few hundred others, I'm sure. The volleyball games on 103.7 come in fantastic.

Comment

she's obviously a wichita state fan. so more power to her. shockers win, we all win.

but I want some national championship talk. c'mon folks.. let's hear it. there's a two fisted attack, every angle, coming up from wichita state this year. they should be ranked top-5 preseason. any dissenters here?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                            That one is definitely more accurate than the previous one posted. Reception around Hutch is very spotty after dark. On the way home from games the signal becomes almost unlistenable about five miles SE of Hutch.

Since pretty much all games are at night, I'd rather have them on an FM station I can actually pull in consistently in Buhler. But that's just me and a few hundred others, I'm sure. The volleyball games on 103.7 come in fantastic.
                            Same deal for me. Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by HarpBros View Post
                              and more shocker pride...

As a long time Bruce Haertl fan I strongly object to this type of ..... aaaaah screw Bruce. HELLLLLOOOO Evie!!
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I really hope Bruce doesn't look at Shockernet. I get it that what's available online is entirely up to her, and granted, she looks great, but I'm not sure what I think...

Comment

Working...
                                X