No announcement yet.

Look Ahead - MVC 2008-2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If HCGM can pick up a power forward bookend oposite GS then I think next years team compares favorably to the 79-80 team. The newcomers were AC, Goodnews and Ozell (all freshmen). Mike Jones and Randy Smithson (a transfer and a juco). The seniors on that team were Ray Shirley, John Kobar and Richard Willams. That team went 17-12 and went to the NIT and lost to UTEP. There are a lot of similarities. Hawkins and Hanna (a transfer and a Juco) and some excellent freshman in G Stutz, D Kyles, T Murry and EO. The returning players might be a little better (Gal, JT, AE and GH). Deja Vu...I hope so.
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
    which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

On paper, SIU has a very nice (better than WSU) class coming in, with a few decent to good players coming back (Mullins, Bone, Fay). I suspect our two teams will be similar in their composition.

We are starting to see if Lowery brings a full briefcase to the table (recruiting and coaching). Right now he's coaching the pre-season favorite to a middle-of-the-pack finish. The next two years will be very telling in Carbondale.

Here are my guesses for next year, which I think will be another down year for the MVC (Drake is making the league look good, but top-to-bottom we are down this season, IMO):

Clear Favorite
      CU - Good talent plus the Altman factor.

Top Tier
      ISU (blue) - Wins the war of offseason attrition.
      DU - Can Keno replicate this season? If so, will he bolt?

Middle Tier - Could challenge for top tier
      WSU - Young and exciting. Comes on late.
      SIU - Not a huge dropoff if newcomers produce.
      ISU (red) - Osiris will need help. Decent recruits coming in.

Almost Middle Tier
      UNI - Can Eglseder and Koch absorb the loss of Coleman?
      BU - No Ruffin. No Crouch. Maniscalco solid.

The Rest
      MSU - Lose a lot, but Burrah could be back. He is a Title IX favorite (works for peanuts, err, a women's coach's salary).
      UE - They will need a year or two to purge the old and get some new.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerKhan
        If HCGM can pick up a power forward bookend oposite GS then I think next years team compares favorably to the 79-80 team. The newcomers were AC, Goodnews and Ozell (all freshmen). Mike Jones and Randy Smithson (a transfer and a juco). The seniors on that team were Ray Shirley, John Kobar and Richard Willams. That team went 17-12 and went to the NIT and lost to UTEP. There are a lot of similarities. Hawkins and Hanna (a transfer and a Juco) and some excellent freshman in G Stutz, D Kyles, T Murry and EO. The returning players might be a little better (Gal, JT, AE and GH). Deja Vu...I hope so.
        Holy cow, if we could be 1/2 as good. I think this is the team that scored 100 pts 4+ times including a 125 pt effort against Drake (I still have the ticket stub from that game). (If it wasn't 125 pts it seemed like it).
        I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Comment

PG- Hannah & Beckham
          2G- Murry, Kyles & Preadom
          Wing- Hawkins, Griskenas & Kyles
          PF-Clemente, Ellis
          C- Flowers & Stutz
          RS-Orupke

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
            PG- Hannah & Beckham
            PF-Clemente, Ellis
            C- Flowers & Stutz
            RS-Orupke
            You forgot Gal. I still think he will be back this year. He is learning a lot this year (typical for a Sophomore getting a lot of playing time), and has handled it well. He starts at the 1 or 2 next year.

Comment

No, I didn't

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                PG- Hannah & Beckham
                PF-Clemente, Ellis
                C- Flowers & Stutz
                RS-Orupke

Wow, Pin, getting rid of Durley, eh?

Comment

Doc,

You think with the growth he has shown that Mekel will be back? Coach has said he is one of the hardest workers, takes coaching well, and is really showing a better understanding of the game. He would greatly benefit from a big guy inside, as well as a couple of guys who can drive and dish to help his shot. He hasn't been able to create his own, but with those pieces in place I see him lighting it up next year.

Comment

While this isn't the perfect system for Gal, HCGM does like the effort and fight that Gal has, plus he is a leader.

Gal will be welcomed back without question. The real decision will be whether or not he chooses to return, which will be a question mark every year (as it has been so far).

If he returns, Gal will start at the 2 imho.

Comment

I have a qustion, if EO shows up for next season, can he still Redshirt next year, since he was techincally on our roster this year.
                      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

yep, no motor

Comment

I really think he likes Marshall's system. It gives him some freedom. Marshall is trying to instill in him to play smart, but without handcuffing him. I think his game would expand greatly with another season, and with the other pieces we have coming in, I hope he does choose to stay.

I know many have issues with Mekel, but he is playing well for a Sophomore, especially considering the circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
                            I have a qustion, if EO shows up for next season, can he still Redshirt next year, since he was techincally on our roster this year.
                            He has 5 years to complete 4 seasons. This one is 1.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                              Originally posted by newshock1234
                              He has 5 years to complete 4 seasons. This one is 1.
                              How can you count this as one year when he's not even enrolled?

We don't even know if he has a passing grade to enroll in a US university (I have no doubt he'll qualify).
                              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                              -John Wooden

Comment

Dr WU,
                                Why does this year count? Wouldn't the coaching staff have given his scholarship to a walk-on for the current year since he isn't even a student? He in no way is a part of shocker basketball other than being on the roster. Does him being on the roster factor into this?
                                Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

Working...
                                X