Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look Ahead - MVC 2008-2009

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Look Ahead - MVC 2008-2009

    Groundrules:


    1)I have not given up on this season, only focusing on the one positive at this point.

    2)I will only discuss who should be back. You can discuss other possibilities, I will not until they come from the offices.

    3)Unfortunately, I know little of the other team's incoming classes. I realize that this will skew the analysis a bit. Perhaps some of our visitors can help us out.


    CU - They lose Bahe, Hibma and Watts. Solid if unspectacular players. Next year's BJ team will be more talented and young and athletic.....and good. I'd be shocked if they aren't picked to win the conference and follow through on that selection. One positive is that I won't have to watch Hibma run like a girl ever again, thank God.

    ILL ST - They lose Dyer, Dom Johnson, Slack and Boo. That's a ton. However O is back and he is probably the best in the league and he isn't exactly alone. Top half finish.

    IN ST - They only lose Gabe Moore of substance. Coach McKenna seems to be doing a nice job and they are very young and pretty darned talented. I expect a top half finish. If they get any help coming in they could be really tough.

    SIU - Falker, Shaw and Green are out. That hurts. They do have a lot of talent coming in. My guess is start slow and finish strong enough for a middle of the pack finish.

    DU - Emmemmemmemmemmemmeker, Korver and Houston are out. Count me in the skeptical crowd with the Geese. They are having a great year. Everything that is going wrong for us is going right for them. I just don't think they have what is needed to win at this level for long. I will be the first to congratulate them if they do.

    UNI - Josten, Viet and Coleman depart. UNI is going to be UNI. Well coached and not terribly athletic. I see another step back for the Panthers although I really do like some of the pieces they have in place, especially Koch.

    UE - They lose only 1 Senior, Victor Gomez. Problem is everyone else is back. They will be better, but in all likelyhood, still in need of 4 wins to make the dance.

    BU - Crouch, Ruffin and Salley leave. That's a tough bunch to lose. BU struggled without Ruffin this year. They have talent there and I like Maniscalco but.....I think it's a low finish for the Braves.

    MSU - They lose Deven Mitchell, Dex Maswell, Dale Lamberth, Spencer Laurie and Drew Richards (out already). Given a mid to bottom finish this year and coaching struggles and lack of support.....this is my pick for cellar dweller.


    WSU - Ok.....now the important part. We will plan to start Clevin at the 1, Gal at the 2, AJ at the 3 and Ramon at the 4 with the other post player TBD. That's not much to look at right now. We will have a ton of talent waiting to enter the game and provide real matchup problems for almost everyone in our league. There aren't any Ryan Bradleys coming in folks. These guys are going to make an impact and fast. However, counting on Freshman to carry a big burden in this league is not a recipe for a lot of success. Next year really does offer a lot of opportunity for us, however. There is not a lot of depth returning at most of the schools. The chance is there for WSU to really jump up.

    My guess is that we will be projected in the play in game. We might be there.....but if we stay healthy and get everyone we anticipate....with the coaching that we are getting this year......we'll just be watching Thursday and every other team will be praying they don't have to play us.


    :goshocks: osterwu: osterwsu:

  • #2
    Re: Look Ahead - MVC 2008-2009

    Originally posted by WuDrWu
    Groundrules:


    1)I have not given up on this season, only focusing on the one positive at this point.

    2)I will only discuss who should be back. You can discuss other possibilities, I will not until they come from the offices.

    3)Unfortunately, I know little of the other team's incoming classes. I realize that this will skew the analysis a bit. Perhaps some of our visitors can help us out.


    CU - They lose Bahe, Hibma and Watts. Solid if unspectacular players. Next year's BJ team will be more talented and young and athletic.....and good. I'd be shocked if they aren't picked to win the conference and follow through on that selection. One positive is that I won't have to watch Hibma run like a girl ever again, thank God.

    ILL ST - They lose Dyer, Dom Johnson, Slack and Boo. That's a ton. However O is back and he is probably the best in the league and he isn't exactly alone. Top half finish.

    IN ST - They only lose Gabe Moore of substance. Coach McKenna seems to be doing a nice job and they are very young and pretty darned talented. I expect a top half finish. If they get any help coming in they could be really tough.

    SIU - Falker, Shaw and Green are out. That hurts. They do have a lot of talent coming in. My guess is start slow and finish strong enough for a middle of the pack finish.

    DU - Emmemmemmemmemmemmeker, Korver and Houston are out. Count me in the skeptical crowd with the Geese. They are having a great year. Everything that is going wrong for us is going right for them. I just don't think they have what is needed to win at this level for long. I will be the first to congratulate them if they do.

    UNI - Josten, Viet and Coleman depart. UNI is going to be UNI. Well coached and not terribly athletic. I see another step back for the Panthers although I really do like some of the pieces they have in place, especially Koch.

    UE - They lose only 1 Senior, Victor Gomez. Problem is everyone else is back. They will be better, but in all likelyhood, still in need of 4 wins to make the dance.

    BU - Crouch, Ruffin and Salley leave. That's a tough bunch to lose. BU struggled without Ruffin this year. They have talent there and I like Maniscalco but.....I think it's a low finish for the Braves.

    MSU - They lose Deven Mitchell, Dex Maswell, Dale Lamberth, Spencer Laurie and Drew Richards (out already). Given a mid to bottom finish this year and coaching struggles and lack of support.....this is my pick for cellar dweller.


    WSU - Ok.....now the important part. We will plan to start Clevin at the 1, Gal at the 2, AJ at the 3 and Ramon at the 4 with the other post player TBD. That's not much to look at right now. We will have a ton of talent waiting to enter the game and provide real matchup problems for almost everyone in our league. There aren't any Ryan Bradleys coming in folks. These guys are going to make an impact and fast. However, counting on Freshman to carry a big burden in this league is not a recipe for a lot of success. Next year really does offer a lot of opportunity for us, however. There is not a lot of depth returning at most of the schools. The chance is there for WSU to really jump up.

    My guess is that we will be projected in the play in game. We might be there.....but if we stay healthy and get everyone we anticipate....with the coaching that we are getting this year......we'll just be watching Thursday and every other team will be praying they don't have to play us.


    :goshocks: osterwu: osterwsu:
    other teams recruit players as well, I hope you know that. How do we know that SIU is not bringing the same type of players we are getting. I think we will be fine, but dont count any other team the Valley OUT.
    ________
    Chrysler Phaeton
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

    Comment


    • #3
      I honestly think next year will kind be like the year when Burns, howard, and co. were all freshmen. Im thinking a middle of the pack, 4th or 5th.
      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Look Ahead - MVC 2008-2009

        Originally posted by goshocks
        other teams recruit players as well, I hope you know that. How do we know that SIU is not bringing the same type of players we are getting. I think we will be fine, but dont count any other team the Valley OUT.



        Originally posted by WuDrWu

        Groundrules:


        3)Unfortunately, I know little of the other team's incoming classes. I realize that this will skew the analysis a bit. Perhaps some of our visitors can help us out.


        SIU - Falker, Shaw and Green are out. That hurts. They do have a lot of talent coming in. My guess is start slow and finish strong enough for a middle of the pack finish.

        Ok, reread. Now, I am not counting anyone out BUT I will say that if other teams had talent like WSU coming in (SIU very well may) then it is likely that I would know something about it. Besides, my analysis and projections are based much more upon returning talent than expected incoming, even with WSU as I have predicted them on the bubble of the playin game.

        Comment


        • #5
          newshock, I think a better comparison would be the 2004-05 year (just not in terms of success).

          In the year you mention, a lot of those guys were starters. I don't see that next year.

          But I do think it will be obvious near the end of the season (as it was in 04-05) that the freshman class as a whole out-talents the upper-classmen.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm hoping for a middle of the pack finish, but that will depend on each team's new incomers and how many will have some juco experience vs who has the raw freshmen.

            We keep hearing about how great the incoming freshmen are currently doing in HS, but this may not be an indication of how they will adjust to the college sized defenders and the change in pace. I would expect a 7 footer in high school to put up some incredible numbers, being guarded by 6' 4" defenders, but the story might be different when facing a similar height and possibly more weight & experience.

            Comment


            • #7
              I've read that SIU has a good class coming in, but that the best guy is still questionable. If they get the whole class, then they should be good, but who knows.

              CU surely has someone good coming in.

              Drake, with their new found success, could have a surprise decide to go there. They are ranked 23rd in the country right now, fwiw.

              MSU will be struggling with losing alot of major contributors and a coaching staff. They'll be in trouble.

              Evansville always will give anyone a run for their money for 10th place, no matter who they bring in.

              For me, ILL St. and Bradley are always question marks. They sit right around that basketball talent hotbed called Chicago. There is always a chance, plus the Redbirds coach isn't a slouch in the recruiting department either. He'll come up with something that no one sees coming.

              UNI will probably struggle.

              And I have no clue about Ind. St.

              As for WSU, they might be picked last, for all I care, but won't finish near there. They might get walked all over in the OOC, but come MVC time, no one will want a piece of the shox.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rrshock
                Drake, with their new found success, could have a surprise decide to go there. They are ranked 23rd in the country right now, fwiw
                ygtbsm... :shock:
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

                NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

                NIT Championships - 1 (2011)

                AP Poll History of Wichita State:
                Number of Times Ranked: 153
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

                Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

                Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished the 2013 Season #4

                Comment


                • #9
                  I thought Roundtree was firm now? He's a great get for SIU. He lit up Conner Teahan last year in the state championship game. I'm gonna do a little research now and get back with ya.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Downsizing Government - Part of the Cato Institute
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  Cato Institute - A libertarian take on the issues
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  MVCFans Alternative, Where ALL Voices Can Be Heard - Come join the party

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Some things will probably change once i see the recruiting ranks for the valley but this is what i see for next year right now with a biased opinion.

                    1. Creighton
                    2. Drake
                    3. Illinois State
                    4. Wichita State
                    5. Indiana State
                    6. Southern Illinois
                    7. Northern Iowa
                    8. Bradley
                    9. Evansville
                    10. Missouri State

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Current Commitments

                      BU:
                      Eddren McCain PG Rivals 2star.McCain
                      Chris Roberts SG (JC) Rivals 2start Roberts

                      CU:
                      Antoine Young PG Rivals 3star Young
                      Josh Jones SG Rivals 2star Jones
                      Tom Whitehead SF (JC) Whitehead

                      DU:
                      Jared Vlastuin SF Vlastuin
                      Alex Weldon SF Rivals 2star Weldon
                      Wendell Faines PF Rivals 3star Faines
                      Sean Jones C Rivals 2star Jones

                      UE:
                      Denver Holmes SG Rivals 3star Holmes
                      CJ Erickson SF Rivals 2star Erickson

                      IlSU:
                      Kenyon Smith PG Rivals 2star Smith
                      Bobby Hill SF (JC) Rivals 2star Hill
                      Ty Modupe PF Modupe
                      Jeremy Robinson C Rivals 3star Robinson

                      InSU:
                      Tyler Cutter PG Rivals 3star Cutter
                      Kuang Duluony SF Rivals 2star Duluony
                      Carl Richard SF Rivals 2star Richard

                      MSU:
                      Ken Holdman PG Rivals 3star Holdman
                      Damen Bell-Holter C Rivals 2star Bell-Holter
                      Isaiah Rhine C Rivals 2star Rhine

                      UNI:
                      John Moran PG Rivals 3star Moran
                      Jake Koch PF Koch
                      Austin Pehl PF Rivals 2star Pehl

                      SIU:
                      Kevin Dillard PG. Rivals 135 (32) Dillard
                      Torres Roundtree SG Rivals 3star Roundtree
                      Chris Parrish SF Rivals 2star Parrish
                      Anthony Booker PF Rivals 29 (9) Booker


                      I guess I didn't realize who else they'd signed. That's a pretty good recruiting class for SIU. Mullins is still a solid PG and Bone looked pretty good against us. They could very well stay in the mix if any of the FR make an impact.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Downsizing Government - Part of the Cato Institute
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      Cato Institute - A libertarian take on the issues
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      MVCFans Alternative, Where ALL Voices Can Be Heard - Come join the party

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by AZ Shocker
                        Originally posted by rrshock
                        Drake, with their new found success, could have a surprise decide to go there. They are ranked 23rd in the country right now, fwiw
                        ygtbsm... :shock:
                        I thought the same thing when I saw it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          That 4 Star Anthony Booker that SIU got. On him I heard he really took off over the summer and started dominating, and before this summer he wasn't there best signing...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rrshock
                            Originally posted by AZ Shocker
                            Originally posted by rrshock
                            Drake, with their new found success, could have a surprise decide to go there. They are ranked 23rd in the country right now, fwiw
                            ygtbsm... :shock:
                            I thought the same thing when I saw it.
                            lol - but I guess good for Drake. It's been a long time for them.
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

                            NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

                            NIT Championships - 1 (2011)

                            AP Poll History of Wichita State:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 153
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

                            Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

                            Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished the 2013 Season #4

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Anthony Booker PF 6-8 210 Florissant, MO PF #20 88 Signed Southern Illinois
                              Kevin Dillard PG 5-10 165 Homewood, IL PG #30 80 Signed Southern Illinois
                              Chris Parrish SF 6-3 Riverside, IL Verbal Southern Illinois
                              Torres Roundtree SG 6-1 185 Florissant, MO Signed Southern Illinois

                              from espn recruiting...
                              veni, vidi, vici

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X