No announcement yet.

Message for the Old-Timers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever seem the movie "better times than these" ? I feel like the old guy at the end of the game holding the sign "we win" with the lightning striking in the background. he represented all the old guys that sat through a lot of rough seasons over a long period of time. as I've mentioned before, I can remember paying 25 cents for general admission tickets the year the roundhouse opened. mushy or not it was a nice post by cold......could it be I am warming up to him? btw, I remember watching ohio state with jerry lucas, john havlicek and bobby knight..........1960 I think

Comment

Perspective. This morning. Perspective.

As "Shockers in the Elite 8" sinks in, all I could think about this morning is how the benchmark for pie in the sky Shocker glory for me has always been the run to the E8 when I was just a kid. An Elite 8 with AC and Cliff short shorts and all. That is childhood glory for me. That is it! That was the best my 43 year old brain can remember.

We have now done that. Holy crap! We have now done that! And we aren't finished. The naysayers. The we can't win at this level people. The power shift, money and talent to the BCS conferences group. The mid-major group. All of these forces for years have created an air of "we can't do this." I know Butler and GM proved smaller schools can get there. But they did. We didn't. Now we have proven what we knew all along. It's getting tougher and tougher to ignore the Shockers.

Here we go. Here we go. We are not satisfied. I know the fellas aren't.

Stoked for Saturday. No sleep for me.

Comment

Like @ISASO:, I too was a youngster in high school when we last went to the Elite 8. I missed the Final Four by just a few months....played just before I was born.

We always want to celebrate, and rightly so, the special moments like these. Sometimes I want to take a step back because I don't want to diminish, in any way, shape or form, the accomplishments of past folks involved with the program. All Shockers everywhere have a hand in this, right here and right now.

Lots of emotions coursing through this tired old body right now...tough to keep things in check and I suspect it's not going to get any easier over the next 48 hours or so....but that's life and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Proud of these student athletes, these coaches, this program, this University, these fans and this city. These times belong to all of us....

Go Shocks!

This is a great run, and I don't believe it's over.

Comment

Having attended games every single season since our days on campus, my wife and I have seen a heck of a lot of good and some not so good. We were young newlyweds when the Shockers got to the round of 8 - watching on our lo-def TV. Getting these feelings again is so amazing. You're proud of the players and coaches and their ability to pull together to build a winning strategy. You're proud of our University and the national recognition. You're proud of all of the athletes, even from other sports, who represent Shocker Nation so well. The list is very long. In many ways, the dark years are forgotten, but maybe we don't get to this level -the highest of highs - without experiencing the lowest of lows.

The Shockers aren't done. Ohio State is beatable. I have a lot of confidence in Marshall, Jans, et. al. to come up with a game plan that will have the Shockers right there at the end ready to grab a spot heading for Atlanta.

Go Shocks!
          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Thanks Cold. I sure felt like an old-timer limping back to the hotel from staples last night. But damn! I started with Smithson, barely got to know Fogler before he bailed, always wondered "what the hell" with Cohen, really liked Scott Thompson, defended Randy (team B!), did all I could to help Turgeon, and absolutely love Marshall. In 30 plus years of games we've seen the gamut of bad to brilliant on the court. I joined this esteemed forum soon after Royalcat (who deserves great props from those who post here) started it and was a regular poster (now more of a lurker!) back in the day. Last night, with family in tow at staples, was as good as its been! I can't wait til tomorrow because it will be even better!

Play angry....Stay angry!!
            Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Having been in school during the Smithson to Turgeon days, this program has come a long way. I became a fan at the end of the Fogler era and remember Cohen and Thompson a little.

This program is great for our school and area. The administration has done a heckuva job lately and this will only help them do more, bigger and better things.

I am greatful for all of the support that our university recieves whether it is from the old timers to the recent fall class of 2012 to the kids that are applying for admission to our beloved school as we speak.

I was 2 when the 81 run happened. I, as well as, everyone else on here am Proud to be a Shocker. I can't ever recall an emotional roller coaster like I have been on the past two weeks. This is awesome!

Comment

Whoa! Congrats again!

T

...:cool:

Comment

This is even sweeter than the Battle of New Orleans win!!!
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Do we actually have Shockers on here that were of adult age the last time we went to the Final Four?

T

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                      Do we actually have Shockers on here that were of adult age the last time we went to the Final Four?

T

Only a young 13 my own self. We always long for Shocker publicity. Today with this win, the price of poker just went sky high. Solid future recruits witnessed the whole thing, and get 3G a HUGE RAISE in pay NOW!!! We will still be the underdog but we fear no team and respect them all, can beat any team left standing when we play Shocker ball, and we have yet to reach the crest of our peaking because we play angry and are NOT satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                        This is even sweeter than the Battle of New Orleans win!!!
                        My Mom and Dad are 88. They were on the charter 747 that went to New Orleans in 81. My Dad made a 6' tall Wu he puts in their front yard every game. Tonight they were in my living room screaming with everyone else including my 2 year old grandson. Four generations of Shocker fans. Once a Shocker, always a Shocker.
                        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

This is for the long time season ticket holders who cheered through every game, good or bad.

Thank You, and keep enjoying the ride.
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

we've always expected this. 90's folks had no idea. wichita state should have a national championship is how we see it.

Comment

I was borned at an early age--was a Shocker Fan when I was knee high to a grasshoppa--then I met Dave Stallworth and the Shocks will always be my favorite team in all of sports.

Here is a T-shirt to have made for our Grandkids. "My Grandparents are away to Atlanta to see our beloved Shockers play and I am lucky to receive this awesome black and yellow Shocker 'play angry' T-Shirt!!!!!!!"

Comment

I can remember watching the Shockers in the Final Four at my uncles house when I was in Junior High. It's been a long, long time.

Comment

Working...
                                X