NCAA Tournament Other Games Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    Not exactly a choke when a 7 loses to a 2 but this is really not a very good performance. Of course, team D is Coach K's strong point.
    CU going 2/17 from 3 is a choke. McDermott going 4/16 is a choke. They're better than that. They saw the letters D-U-K-E on the front of the opponents unis and got the yips.

SoW's NBA stock just took a major hit.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
      If you would have told me #222 holds Duke to low 60's and I would have told you they're joining us in the Sweet Sixteen.

Rough night for Cretins not named Dougie.

I would say it was a rough night for Dougie too. He did not shoot well
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• wow that was shame well thanks for NCAA money ...bah bye
        "Valley-shaking, nation-waking 29-game win streak." - Paul Suellentrop, The Wichita Eagle

Comment

• Creighton has still never won consecutive games in the NCAA Tournament.

Comment

• While Creighton missed a few open looks Duke's defense stymied them. Wragge couldn't even sniff his comfort zone.

When things weren't going easy for them that's when they acted bewildered and scared.

I am not a Duke fan but that SOB has shut down more than a few good offenses.

Comment

Not exactly a choke when a 7 loses to a 2 but this is really not a very good performance. Of course, team D is Coach K's strong point.
              Losing the game is not a choke by any means. That's not what I mean.

Creighton shooting 32% overall and 13% from 3 is choking. 50 points from one of the best offensive teams in the country is choking. McDermott as a Player of the Year candidate shooting 25% on the biggest stage is choking.

Creighton absolutely could have lost this game without it being considered a choke ... they obviously weren't expected to win. But Creighton should have at least made this a game. Losing by 16 with those numbers is pathetic. Losing by 16 even is an understatement, as I don't think the game was even that close. I wouldn't have been upset with us losing to Gonzaga with the effort we played that game with ... disappointed but not upset; I would have been very upset if we just did what Creighton did. That was embarrassing.

I'll miss Creighton in a lot of ways, but I won't miss them consistently making the MVC look bad in the NCAA tournament. Since 1999, the MVC sans Creighton has seven trips to the Sweet 16 in 21 trips. Creighton has zero in nine trips. In those nine trips, only one was an at-large bid.
              Last edited by Rlh04d; March 24, 2013, 11:19 PM.
              Originally posted by BleacherReport
              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                Losing the game is not a choke by any means. That's not what I mean.

Creighton shooting 32% overall and 13% from 3 is choking. 50 points from one of the best offensive teams in the country is choking. McDermott as a Player of the Year candidate shooting 25% on the biggest stage is choking.

Creighton absolutely could have lost this game without it being considered a choke ... they obviously weren't expected to win. But Creighton should have at least made this a game. Losing by 16 with those numbers is pathetic. Losing by 16 even is an understatement, as I don't think the game was even that close.

I'll miss Creighton in a lot of ways, but I won't miss them consistently making the MVC look bad in the NCAA tournament. Since 1999, the MVC sans Creighton has seven trips to the Sweet 16 in 21 trips. Creighton has zero in nine trips.
                Understand....I just have to give Duke credit for the way they switch on D, don't give up many open looks, etc.

A team that dribble drives can give Duke fits...Creighton is not that.

Comment

Understand....I just have to give Duke credit for the way they switch on D, don't give up many open looks, etc.

A team that dribble drives can give Duke fits...Creighton is not that.
                  I definitely think the credit goes to Duke. They have excellent defense. I definitely don't mean that Creighton lost the game rather than Duke winning it.

But Duke didn't play a very good game offensively. And while Duke put up a good defense, Creighton also just played very poor on offense. If we played Creighton with that same defense outside of the NCAA tournament, they would have played much better. They were beaten by the name on the jersey, the seed number next to the name, and the stage of March Madness before they even got on the court, though.

Creighton is a good team. Duke is a better team. Duke isn't so much better than Creighton that the game should never even be in doubt, though, and Duke's defense isn't so good that one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the country should shoot for 10% against them.
                  Last edited by Rlh04d; March 25, 2013, 01:40 AM.
                  Originally posted by BleacherReport
                  Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• When Suburban Horse fails, your options run thin.

We won two styles of play to reach yet another Sweet 16. Creighton meanwhile, with their best team in program history, falls short yet again and is still Sweet 16-less.

And now to the land of mediocrity..
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Pulled this jewel off of the Creighton board:

It's simple. We are scared shitless of the name on their shirts.

Duke has played like **** and they lead by 11. That's 100% on us.

Hopefully if we go down like damp vaginas it burns in Doug's gut so bad that he makes an encore performance next year.

I actually feel for this guy because it is exactly what it looks like.
                      I agree with this statement. I was surprised in watching the final seconds and the handshakes after that in my opinion the players wore an expression of being satisfied with having the opportunity to play Duke. None seemed disappointed in a loss...

Comment

• Conference Records Through the First 3 rounds (record in First 4 games in parenthesis):

Big 10: 10-3
                        Big East: 6-5
                        ACC: 5-2
                        PAC 12: 5-3
                        Atlantic 10: 7-4 (1-0)
                        MVC: 3-1
                        A-Sun: 2-0
                        SEC: 3-2
                        WCC: 2-2 (1-0)
                        Big 12: 3-4
                        MWC: 1-5 (0-1)
                        CUSA: 1-1
                        Ivy: 1-1
                        MEAC: 1-1 (1-0)
                        CAA: 1-1 (1-0)
                        Sun Belt: 0-2 (0-1)
                        13 Other One Bid Conferences: 0-13
                        Big South and NEC: 0-2 (0-2)

Big 10 has 4 of the 16 teams still standing.
                        Big East has 3.
                        ACC and PAC 12 has 2.
                        Big 12, A-10, MVC, A-Sun, SEC with 1 each.

Good weekend for the Big East (3-0) and the Big Ten (4-2).

The 3rd round wasn't nearly as kind to the A-10 as the previous 2 rounds as they went 1-4 on the weekend with thier only survivor, LaSalle, up next for the Shocks.

MWC had finsiished off a disappointing tournament losing both of their remaining teams and having only Boise States' First-Four win on the left side of the ledger to show for their efforts.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 25, 2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                          He'll have time to lament with his Gone-Zaga buddies on being ousted in round 2, while those lowly Shockers keep rolling towards a final four date in Atlanta in a couple of weeks.
                          One game at a time please... I really don't want a discussion next week about how we choked against LaSalle...
                          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• 12 States still represented in the NCAA Tournament

Florida - 3 teams
                            Kansas - 2
                            Michigan - 2
                            Indiana, New York, Kentucky, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Arizona, Oregon, Pennsylvania - 1 each

Comment

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                              One game at a time please... I really don't want a discussion next week about how we choked against LaSalle...
                              In case you couldn't tell, tongue in cheek. Just trying to create some fun about GG and his connection with the Zags.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                                12 States still represented in the NCAA Tournament

Florida - 3 teams
                                Kansas - 2
                                Michigan - 2
                                Indiana, New York, Kentucky, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Arizona, Oregon, Pennsylvania - 1 each
                                Who would have guessed at the start of the year Miami & FGCU would be 2 of the 3 from Florida?

Comment

Working...
                                X