Discipline for Paul Janzen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerEngr View Post
    I believe the comment was IF he had connected with TC's face.

As it was, it was still a pretty good hit.
    Yes. I must have left out a word or two in there. No one got hurt. We won. All is good. I still hope the MVC office reviews it and has something to say to Janzen and/or Carmichael.

Comment

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

IMO, the way games are officiated at the end of a game really needs to be looked at by the league. This thought that 'the players should decide the game' at the end where officials swallow their whistles is ludicrous. If an official doesn't blow his whistle at an obvious foul in the final seconds, he is, in fact, deciding the game just as much as if he blew the whistle, so doesn't it make more sense to just go ahead and call it as the rule book states you should at ALL TIMES. Compounding the problem is that there is no defined set of 'unwritten' rules that declares what they will or won't call in the final seconds. We've certainly been on the wrong side of it several times in the last few seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed View Post
          Clip in in ncaab section at www.espn.com
          Where specifically? I've been looking all day to no avail.
          Go Shocks!!

Comment

I don't think the rulebook should change depending on time of the game.

Comment

I do think it was deliberate but not malicious in intent. Keep in mind, this whole thought process (which I could reasonably understand) probably occurred in less than one second:

JC is in the air grabbing the ball, seeing Cotton pivot into his path.
              First reaction - and ultimately a poor judgement - is to protect the area where you anticipate landing.
              So he extends his leg - an excessive, non-basketball play action - as a follow-through on his instinct to "clear for landing".
              Naturally, you're going to focus your eyes on that which you think you're defending yourself from.

As I said in the game thread it would be colossally stupid for a 5th-year senior to do something like that in the last minute of a tightening game. So common sense tells me it wasn't malicious, but was deliberate and a lapse in split-second judgement. Not like the dirty play by Wilkins last season.

Some of the ISU fans' attempts at defending it are ridiculous and even though the refs blew the call at the moment, they at least got it right after Marshall asked for the review.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                I do think it was deliberate but not malicious in intent. Keep in mind, this whole thought process (which I could reasonably understand) probably occurred in less than one second:

JC is in the air grabbing the ball, seeing Cotton pivot into his path.
                First reaction - and ultimately a poor judgement - is to protect the area where you anticipate landing.
                So he extends his leg - an excessive, non-basketball play action - as a follow-through on his instinct to "clear for landing".
                Naturally, you're going to focus your eyes on that which you think you're defending yourself from.

As I said in the game thread it would be colossally stupid for a 5th-year senior to do something like that in the last minute of a tightening game. So common sense tells me it wasn't malicious, but was deliberate and a lapse in split-second judgement. Not like the dirty play by Wilkins last season.

Some of the ISU fans' attempts at defending it are ridiculous and even though the refs blew the call at the moment, they at least got it right after Marshall asked for the review.
                If premeditation for murder can be formed in a split second, so can premeditation for a flagrant foul.
                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

An example of a Flagrant 1 foul would be when a player swings an elbow and makes illegal, non-excessive contact with an opponent above the shoulders. The team whose player was struck would receive two free throws and possession of the ball. Previously, this type of foul was called an intentional foul. The committee wanted to move away from the word “intentional,” because a player’s intent was never the point to the rule.
                  Intent has nothing to do with the call.

Comment

My bad guys. Didn't see the word "if". I now agree

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                      My bad guys. Didn't see the word "if". I now agree
                      I added it after it was pointed out.

Comment

Working...
                      X