Why is Jiake White shooting 3s??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
    As Cleanthony Early goes, so go the Shockers. In three of our four losses, Early has fouled out. The only exception was the Indiana State game. Even his 15 points and 11 rebounds couldn't help us in that one.
    interesting.

i would say get the ball to early.. and often. post him up here and there, and make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
      Just a reminder. Despite pre-season hype, Baker is only a 32.0% 3 ball maker. For all field goal attempts, Baker in making 36.5%.
      He was taking a lot of attempts that were a higher degree of difficulty and still hitting a descent percentage. He wa also playing with the fracture.

Comment

1979 is so right. "As Cleanthony goes, so go the SHOX." Cle whines and cries about every foul, and so does everyone on here. Cle, please learn how to keep your mouth shut, and everyone on here, accept the fact that we got beaten, and just get ready for the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
          interesting.

i would say get the ball to early.. and often. post him up here and there, and make it work.
          A

and when it does go to Early, set up Hall or Wiggins.
          In the fast lane

Comment

[QUOTE=ShauXTyme;367243]1979 is so right. "As Cleanthony goes, so go the SHOX." Cle whines and cries about every foul, and so does everyone on here. Cle, please learn how to keep your mouth shut, and everyone on here, accept the fact that we got beaten, and just get ready for the next one.[/QUO

Actually, I thought Cle did foul on #5 and 70' from the basket. 3G will explain how much more we needed him on the floor than on the pine for the rest of the game. Cle and Hall can make the difference for us from this moment on and I hope they do. We need to draw more fouls and foul less. The 2 games we just lost, our rebounding was subpar for us, we committed more turnovers than our opponents, and we fouled more than they did which gave them more throws. These issues are correctable. Until we get to hitting more from the outside, somehow, someway we need to earn easier shots inside with Hall and Cle or our guards along with Cotton and Wiggy penetrating with dishes or pull up jumpers for closer range to avoid the charging calls. Look for us to get back on track Tuesday night.
            Last edited by forevershockerfan; February 3, 2013, 10:36 PM.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
              Read the posting guidelines:

"ShockerNet staff reserves the right to edit or delete posts at their discretion! Posts should not contain any of the following content:

... unconstructive criticism of WSU, the coaches, or players."
              Far be it from me to defend Dofo or to criticize either White, a great hustler, or Marshall and his willingness to allow his guys to shoot open threes.

Still, White has clearly lost confidence in his three-point shooting, and understandably so. What basis for confidence does he have at this point? It's hard to see how the Shocks would not be better off if Jake simply decided, without telling anyone, not to shoot another three the rest of the season. And what's unconstructive about any of that? Besides, you really DO have to be at least in the vicinity on an open three pointer, don't you?

Comment

I guess I'm just confused. I could've swore on the coach's show last week (maybe two weeks ago now?) that Marshall finally gave the red light to Jake on 3 point shooting. Did Jake just ignore Marshall or did Marshall not tell him? I mean, it hurts even more that White seems to take the 3's in the most pressured of situations, when we desperately need baskets late in a game. Wouldn't that even make less sense for an 8% 3 point shooter to do?

I just don't understand it. 8% is 8%.

And for the record, I agree that less Dofo, the better.
                Last edited by ShockerFever; February 3, 2013, 11:32 PM.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                  Just a reminder. Despite pre-season hype, Baker is only a 32.0% 3 ball maker. For all field goal attempts, Baker in making 36.5%.
                  As I've noted before, 32% on threes = 48% on twos, Ricky. Not great, but certainly not awful, especially when you consider that he may have been physically at less than 100% for some of the games in which he put up those numbers. And the reason Baker is hitting only 36.5% overall is that he isn't shooting many twos: 13 in 10 games, of which he has made more than half, which is perfectly respectable. Look behind the stats, not just at the percentages without further analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    I guess I'm just confused. I could've swore on the coach's show last week (maybe two weeks ago now?) that Marshall finally gave the red light to Jake on 3 point shooting. Did Jake just ignore Marshall or did Marshall not tell him? I mean, it hurts even more that White seems to take the 3's in the most pressured of situations, when we desperately need baskets late in a game. Wouldn't that even make less sense for an 8% 3 point shooter to do?

I just don't understand it. 8% is 8%.

And for the record, I agree that less Dofo, the better.
                    I believe Marshall just said that's enough 3-pt shooting for the night.

Comment

I frankly thought white took that shot was because be was the only one who had any courage do it. Nobody else looked like they wanted anything to do with it. I really thought he was going to knock it down...boy was I wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                        As I've noted before, 32% on threes = 48% on twos, Ricky. Not great, but certainly not awful, especially when you consider that he may have been physically at less than 100% for some of the games in which he put up those numbers. And the reason Baker is hitting only 36.5% overall is that he isn't shooting many twos: 13 in 10 games, of which he has made more than half, which is perfectly respectable. Look behind the stats, not just at the percentages without further analysis.
                        I agree that 32% from 3 is not bad and that Baker is going to provide a boost if he comes back. I don't think it is as simple as being worth 48% on twos, however. You get fouled a lot more on shots in the lane. You probably get more rebounds though I'm not sure on that. You get more rebounds close to the basket for sure. You need the three percentage to exceed the comparative value of twos to counterbalance the other invisible benefits of being in the lane.
                        Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                          I frankly thought white took that shot was because be was the only one who had any courage do it. Nobody else looked like they wanted anything to do with it. I really thought he was going to knock it down...boy was I wrong.
                          Yes, it seems to me we have a total lack of confidence in our own shooting (I'm not talking Shockernetters, I'm talking the players themseleves). If the players don't believe they are going to go in, or they are not confident enough to take the shot, they will most likely miss.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post

Thank you for the lecture.

I did not make any analysis or an argument. I merely presented some statistical data.
                            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

You're welcome, Ricky. And I hope you appreciate my brevity and conciseness -- it's been a long time since I was in college, but I believe I can still recall through the mists of time that the lectures I heard back then were much longer than the one of mine you quoted.

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
                                I agree that 32% from 3 is not bad and that Baker is going to provide a boost if he comes back. I don't think it is as simple as being worth 48% on twos, however. You get fouled a lot more on shots in the lane. You probably get more rebounds though I'm not sure on that. You get more rebounds close to the basket for sure. You need the three percentage to exceed the comparative value of twos to counterbalance the other invisible benefits of being in the lane.
                                Very fair points about the less easily quantified benefits of shooting inside the arc, Mad.

The main thing I was getting at was simply that a guy who shoots mostly from three (roughly 80% of his attempts) will almost always have a significantly lower percentage than one who takes a more traditional mix of shots.

Comment

Working...
                                X