Hall's role upon returning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall's role upon returning

I'm not much of a thread-starter, but I couldn't let this one go. I've seen several comments now along the lines of 'Hall could go back to his 6th man role' or 'I wonder how we're going to reintegrate Hall into the lineup because Early and EO are playing so well.'

People... The Beast was our best player when he got hurt, and no matter how well Early has played, he will be our best player when he comes back. If he's healthy, he needs to start and play 30 minutes a game, end of story. If that means less White and Lufile, so be it. Two scenarios can happen:

1. Beast starts at the 5, Early at the 4, EO comes off the bench
    2. Beast starts at 4, EO at 5, and Early comes off the bench

Either way, we'll be just fine. But please, no more of this 'Hall off the bench' business. If everyone disagrees with me, well, I can handle that.

I see Carl coming off the bench initally until he gets back in basketball shape. Once that happens we move Early to the 3 and start the biggest lineup we've had since Carr, Levingston and Jones. Seems appropriate based on how far I expect us to go in the post season.
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

It's not as important who starts, but who is on the floor in crunch time.....Beast will get his minutes.

Comment

Hall's returning role will depend on whether or not Cleanthony Early has learned enough to play the 3. Remember, we are also down our starting small forward in Wessel, and we do give up a lot of height with Cotton (he makes it up with grit and effort though). Our best line-up will probably be Armstead, DW, Early, Hall, Orukpe. Alternatively, I think coach will allow Hall to ease his way back and let the current starting lineup stand.

In that case, Hall would sub out Orukpe and Cleanthony Early would spend almost all his time at the 4. This may be the most likely scenario, but I still want to see Early, Hall, and EO on the court at the same time.

Comment

I think most of us would like beast, eo and early together.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
            I think most of us would like beast, eo and early together.
            I'm not sure I do. I worry with EO in the lineup with Carl we may be clogging the lane a bit much, we haven't really seen Carl's improved range (mostly because he hasn't needed it), but with the thumb I'd be surprised to see him take a lot of jump shots. Defensively it would be incredible, but I don't think the offense will be as smooth overall.
            You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
              I'm not sure I do. I worry with EO in the lineup with Carl we may be clogging the lane a bit much, we haven't really seen Carl's improved range (mostly because he hasn't needed it), but with the thumb I'd be surprised to see him take a lot of jump shots. Defensively it would be incredible, but I don't think the offense will be as smooth overall.
              The way the league is shaping up defensively right now, having 3 ball handlers on the court seems to be the most productive. Many teams are applying pressure at 3/4 court or at least high pressure across mid-court. Quick perimeter ball movement and ball-screening high works well to free up space for the big men to maneuver. This makes me think that we will see less time with Hall, Orupke and Early on the court together than two of those combined with 3 guards. Marshall might switch back to his post offense for some stretches to accommodate the 3 bigs as he was running earlier in the season, but only if the turnovers don't go way up due to ball pressure. We'll see.

--'85.
              Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Depending on the game, I think we'll see EO, Hall, Early spliting up the 4/5, Cotton and Wiggins the 3, and Armstead, Williams, FVV the 1/2.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                  I don't think you go with EO, Early, and Hall the entire game, but I think it would be a good thing to set the tone against a team. It shouldn't clog the lane up too much, because

1. Marshall really likes to use EO as a screener at the top of the key
                  2. Carl Hall operated a lot from the short corner rather than the low post (he seemed to like driving from the short corner, and it does draw more fouls)
                  3. Early is most effective on the wing, not in the post

Obviously you don't run with that line-up all game, because smart teams will try to attack our limited number of on-court ball-handlers. But I could see it working for stretches, and it would just be another tool in the toolbox for Marshall to use.

Comment

No way EO does anything but start the rest of our games.

The Beast might need to come off the bench for a game--maybe two--and play limited minutes to get back into form. He'll start at the 4 after that.
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

yes, let's sit Early or just start with our best inside player (Hall) on the bench. EO is good but I don't he's not as good as Early or Hall. Early isn't ready to go to the 3 yet and if he does, we sit down our best defensive player and ball getter (Cotton). I don't think that Hall starts immediately but I do think that he starts sometime. I don't know who sits to begin the game when he does re-enter the starting lineup. EO, Hall, and Cotton all will play more than 20-25 minutes a game.

Comment

To me it's a simple role playing decision. Hall has good inside d and better offense than EO. However EO has a defensive presence that is different than halls. In specific situations one is better than the other.

The same goes with hall and early at the 4. Coach will be doing his usual incredible coaching job of situational subbing and basketball chess with all three of these guys.

Regardless of who is in at what time, they will all get significant minutes and we will be winning.

I do think hall will ease back into his role on some level, so it seems like you keep going with EO and cle because they have earned the start by winning.

Then hall will quickly make his own case and resume his role as a starter once the game comes to him again (sooner than later). I predict it will displace early sooner than EO because that's how the season began.

Comment

The reason that Hall is so important is because he is our only true back to the basket threat. EO will not be nearly as big of a threat to play with his back to the basket. It helps open up the outside for Early, Williams, Armstead, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                            The reason that Hall is so important is because he is our only true back to the basket threat. EO will not be nearly as big of a threat to play with his back to the basket. It helps open up the outside for Early, Williams, Armstead, etc.
                            Exactly. Hall is a completely different asset on the team that will turn our defensive close calls into double digit wins again. We we be adding post offense back onto this team and it will be huge.

There is no way to choose between hall EO and cle because they are all complimentary in every way. Marshall will get another entirely different and awesomely solid chess piece back when hall returns. I absolutely can't wait.

Comment

Lots of talk about offense and interior defense. With the make up of many Valley teams....would the winning formula be altered by being not as strong on overall defensive pressure against a small 3?
                              Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

Working...
                              X