Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Taking Stock, Hoop Thoughts-Style: Which..." by Seth Davis of Sports Illustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win Sunday against the Braves and we will replace the loser of the K State vs Okie State game in the rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
      But 13-1 isn't getting the attention that teams from other conferences would be getting with the same record. There is attention, but there should be more from the pollsters.
      I agree. Unfortunately, we don't have that marque win (in the eyes of the media, the VCU win doesn't count since they're a mid too).

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
        I agree. Unfortunately, we don't have that marque win (in the eyes of the media, the VCU win doesn't count since they're a mid too).
        That's BS. The media is oozing over VCU. Which is ironic since we have the win over them and a better record than them. The VCU win is the reason why we're getting any mentions at all.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The win over VCU was early. The Tennessee loss nullified it in the minds of voters. Now we have to wait for those in front of us to lose questionable games to move up.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            The win over VCU was early. The Tennessee loss nullified it in the minds of voters. Now we have to wait for those in front of us to lose questionable games to move up.
            I think you are right. But one loss at a BCS school that was picked to finish 4th in the SEC, undefeated at home and projected to go to the ncaa tournament should NOT hurt you. But it really did in our case.

I do find it interesting that losing at home to a non-BCS team that is NOT projected to be in the ncaa tournament did NOT keep Cu out of the top 25. I do think Cu helped themselves a lot by beating St. Joes in Omaha by 20 points in their next game. But St. Joes is not appearing to be a ncaa tournament team, so it is funny how things are working out.

Comment

According to the Massey Comparison Ranking, WSU & VCU are the two teams in the top 20 not to be ranked in either poll. 14th and 16th respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                I think you are right. But one loss at a BCS school that was picked to finish 4th in the SEC, undefeated at home and projected to go to the ncaa tournament should NOT hurt you. But it really did in our case.

I do find it interesting that losing at home to a non-BCS team that is NOT projected to be in the ncaa tournament did NOT keep Cu out of the top 25. I do think Cu helped themselves a lot by beating St. Joes in Omaha by 20 points in their next game. But St. Joes is not appearing to be a ncaa tournament team, so it is funny how things are working out.
                CU also has wins over Wisconsin, @California, Akron (all have higher projected RPIs than TN), and Arizona St. They are 5-1 OOC among the Top 100 projected RPI. WSU is 3-1.

Comment

Shockers about to get their freak on !!

You are absolutely correct. This will be a totally different team with Beast back. :)
                  Yes we will be better with the Beast back ,but we have been really good without him as well. This was actually a blessing in disguise. Especially since the bench players have gotten more confidence with more playing time. With the increased confidence and performance of the bench players coupled with Hall's return,we will be better than ever. NO team is safe now. :tyrannosaurus: EPIC .

Comment

You are absolutely correct. This will be a totally different team with Beast back. :)
                    interior defense goes up a notch when hall returns (+perimeter defense is going hard right now- armstead, van vleet, cotton and williams)

hall, early and orupke block shots. plug hall's inside intimidation to what's going on now.. and, well.. seth davis may be on to something. buy-plus

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post

sCUm was also in the Top 12 or 13 at the time. They're not gonna fall 12 spots for one loss to a team that is actually turning out to be pretty good.

We were at No.23. We didn't look good on TV with that loss. If any voters were watching that night, I don't think many would blame them leaving us off their ballot. You also have to consider other teams in front of us are still winning. You can't leapfrog the Shocks just for wins over Southern Miss and Drake.

Now if more voters knew that we've done it minus 3 starters, I think that'd really impress them. Hopefully, a lot of them read Seth's comments in the article.

A win on Sunday night may be our ticket back in.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                        That's BS. The media is oozing over VCU. Which is ironic since we have the win over them and a better record than them. The VCU win is the reason why we're getting any mentions at all.
                        . True dat. I only said that because of how KSU can suddenly jump us based on one win against Florida. KSUs RPI and SOS are vastly worse than ours, in addition they have only beat one team with a winning record (Florida) and they suddenly jump us. It's BCS bias at its best and just affirms the razor's edge we walk when it comes to poll respect.

Comment

. True dat. I only said that because of how KSU can suddenly jump us based on one win against Florida. KSUs RPI and SOS are vastly worse than ours, in addition they have only beat one team with a winning record (Florida) and they suddenly jump us. It's BCS bias at its best and just affirms the razor's edge we walk when it comes to poll respect.
                          Good point with KSuck. They are undoubtedly overrated. Their fluke win practically at home against Florida doesn't make up for the fact they're lagging in a lot of other areas. Whatever though. I have a feeling the Big 12 is gonna even things out with them.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Regarding Tennessee and their 4th-place SEC prediction, wasn't that with their best player?

I have to think the pollsters expected us to beat UT in their weakened state. WSU didn't meet those expectations and they were penalized in the polls as a result. Now poll mechanics will trump records and resume comparisons.

Comment

We will be ranked if we beat Bradley.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                                Good point with KSuck. They are undoubtedly overrated. Their fluke win practically at home against Florida doesn't make up for the fact they're lagging in a lot of other areas. Whatever though. I have a feeling the Big 12 is gonna even things out with them.
                                Even if they are a bit overrated, I'd like to see them stay in the polls just long enough to still be there when we get back in. That way, the state of Kansas gets the national pub for getting all three of our DI schools in.

Comment

Working...
                                X