Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right now my wish on WSU and Conference realignment is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ixiah, those were interesting. Sounds like some seem to have an understanding of how mu h we could help out there.

Comment

My choice would be to start football....after all we couldn't be too far behind where ku is now and then join the big12.

Comment

I have wondered if it would be easier to get into the MWC if we declared that we would start up football in x number of years...
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Tulsa, Memphis, SMU, Houston, perhaps Tulane. Add some MVC schools...(WSU, CU etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
            Tulsa, Memphis, SMU, Houston, perhaps Tulane. Add some MVC schools...(WSU, CU etc.)
            Problem is those 5 play football. They would want more football schools with them.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              I have wondered if it would be easier to get into the MWC if we declared that we would start up football in x number of years...
              After reading those forum topics from the MWC, I was wondering the same thing. We have the ability to add football at some point. I don't believe Gonzaga and Creighton do. That could be a final determining factor for the MWC as well.

Comment

You really should. It adds a lot of unquantifiable assets to your school. Whenever I am in Wichita I see that stadium of yours and think it could be refurbished without a lot of difficulty. It would be serviceable at least in short order.

But yeah I would love having a football rivalry with your school. It would be great for the fans.

Comment

If we bring back football, it has nothing to do with any potential rivalry with HSU and everything to do with upgrading conferences.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

One reason I'm a fan of college sports is tradition. After 67 years in the Valley, I'd prefer to see WSU stay in the MVC and work to make it a great conference again. Maybe that means replacing Elgin. Maybe that means bringing in, or bringing back in, a few decent (good history and tradition) basketball programs. There is something to be said for stability. After all, look at all the hand wringing and fretting going on here at ShockerNet over this one issue. And I think a lot of the conferences that are being discussed here are still unstable. The MWC since 2011 has lost BYU, Utah, TCU, Boise State (oh wait), SDSU (oh wait again). Teams are jumping off the Big Easy like rats from a burning ship, (UConn, Cincy, and new members Temple, and Memphis won't be far behind). The A-10 MAY lose some of it's top members to the new C-7, which could effectively break-up what would be left of that conference. And CUSA has been really bad since it started falling apart in 2005, and it hasn't been stable since.

And consider this; according to teamrankings.com, the MVC has finished every season since 03-04 (except 10-11 when we finished 11th) as a top 10 RPI conference. So as bad as the MVC seems to be to us, it may not look so bad to others. A top 10, stable basketball conference might look pretty nice to a few decent basketball programs that just happen to get left out of the mix in their conference shake-up. And adding just a few of those decent (and good fit) programs could help to once again raise the stature of the MVC in college basketball.

So considering where the MVC sits today, and the current instability of some of the other conferences, leaving the MVC now may be a bit like cutting off our nose to spite our face. Of course if the MVC is weakened due to circumstances beyond our control (the cretins leave), and/or the conference as a whole decides it doesn't want to do anything to become stronger,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then forget everything I just said, and HEAD FOR THE HILLS OF THE MWC.
                    "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

I don't know that staying in the MVC will be a viable option in the next couple of years. I just don't see how Creighton stays. If they leave, it is toast. If the opportunity to move to a better conference comes along, then WSU must take it. The MWC is a better basketball conference than WSU has. And I don't believe there are any Evansvilles in the MWC.

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
                        One reason I'm a fan of college sports is tradition. After 67 years in the Valley, I'd prefer to see WSU stay in the MVC and work to make it a great conference again. Maybe that means replacing Elgin. Maybe that means bringing in, or bringing back in, a few decent (good history and tradition) basketball programs. There is something to be said for stability. After all, look at all the hand wringing and fretting going on here at ShockerNet over this one issue. And I think a lot of the conferences that are being discussed here are still unstable. The MWC since 2011 has lost BYU, Utah, TCU, Boise State (oh wait), SDSU (oh wait again). Teams are jumping off the Big Easy like rats from a burning ship, (UConn, Cincy, and new members Temple, and Memphis won't be far behind). The A-10 MAY lose some of it's top members to the new C-7, which could effectively break-up what would be left of that conference. And CUSA has been really bad since it started falling apart in 2005, and it hasn't been stable since.

And consider this; according to teamrankings.com, the MVC has finished every season since 03-04 (except 10-11 when we finished 11th) as a top 10 RPI conference. So as bad as the MVC seems to be to us, it may not look so bad to others. A top 10, stable basketball conference might look pretty nice to a few decent basketball programs that just happen to get left out of the mix in their conference shake-up. And adding just a few of those decent (and good fit) programs could help to once again raise the stature of the MVC in college basketball.

So considering where the MVC sits today, and the current instability of some of the other conferences, leaving the MVC now may be a bit like cutting off our nose to spite our face. Of course if the MVC is weakened due to circumstances beyond our control (the cretins leave), and/or the conference as a whole decides it doesn't want to do anything to become stronger,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then forget everything I just said, and HEAD FOR THE HILLS OF THE MWC.
                        If CU goes, we're probably not a top 10 conference. UNI and ISU have explored moving football up and will leave. ISU wants it for sure. Stability isn't going to be around long. And if we get a chance to join a conference that is better than our current one, why not? And the MWC isn't going to fall apart. The BE threat is gone. The PAC isn't interested in any of them. The XII MAY take one eventually, but that's a long shot right now.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

It's tough for a 1,000' elevation team to win in the MWC. There are a lot of high altitude campuses in the MOUNTAIN West.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            It's tough for a 1,000' elevation team to win in the MWC. There are a lot of high altitude campuses in the MOUNTAIN West.
                            It's really not that huge of a deal. Wichita sits at about 1300. At what point do you become concerned with elevation? We're at a higher elevation than two schools currently in and a third that should be in soon. Utah State has the highest at a little over 8k. Next is Wyoming around 7300. Then AFA at about 6k. I wouldn't be overly concerned as a whole.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              Wichita, KS - 1,299 ft
                              Air Force Academy - 5,500 ft
                              Utah Sate - 4,500ft
                              San Jose State - 85 ft
                              UNLV - 2,050 ft
                              CSU - 5,003 ft
                              San Diego State - 72 ft
                              Boise - 2,730 ft
                              University of Wyo - 7,165 ft
                              UNM - 5,300 ft
                              Nevada - 4,500 ft
                              Fresno St - 283 ft.
                              The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

It's really not that huge of a deal. Wichita sits at about 1300. At what point do you become concerned with elevation? We're at a higher elevation than two schools currently in and a third that should be in soon. Utah State has the highest at a little over 8k. Next is Wyoming around 7300. Then AFA at about 6k. I wouldn't be overly concerned as a whole.
                                Where do you find USU at 8,000? I've been there and it's not close to that.

Laramie would be of concern the most, there's nothing there, I didn't like the campus the times I've been there.
                                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Working...
                                X