Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right now my wish on WSU and Conference realignment is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure if there's a MWC school that the PAC would look favorably upon. If the PAC expands, they're going after Texahoma
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Just a lot of questions out there regardless which direction you look at.

1) I'd prefer the MWC. Better conference, much better locations as a fan to travel to, IMHO. Big questions: What would happen if Hawaii left the MWC? As the only basketball-only school, we would be a minority of just that, one. So how vunerable would we be to the whims of all the football schools?

2) Revamped MVC. With (preferred) or without CU, as long as the Valley has quality left-overs from the A-10 to invite (Dayton and St Louis), NM St, Denver, and Murray St, getting at least 2 if CU stays, 3 if they leave. Would also prefer Evansville and one other Valley team that doesn't want to pony-up enough to have a quality basketball program to leave and add 2 more of the above. Questions: Would Dayton, St. Louis, and CU be leaving soon after? What in Ill St, UNI, IN St and MSU's football future?

3) A more distant 3rd is to get an offer from the C7 to be what most likely will be a 14 team conference. Questions: Can the original C7 and their minions be trusted to do what's best for all, not just themselves? Also, for all the WSU teams, travel, travel, travel (and as for me, a fan, not many places where I'd prefer to go).

4) Further down the line, stay as is MVC. Questions: Will CU eventually bolt to the Whatever C7? Feel very uneasy about some of the football schools (just losing one, Ill St would hurt)? Too many Sisters of the Poor, whether it's due to paying for football first or they just don't have the funds, makes for a weakening basketball conference.

5) Can't even see joining a weakened Atl-10? Why? If what's left is not all far to the East, the few that may be left in the West should join the Valley.

Comment

If the Valley could pick up Dayton and/or St. Louis from the A-10 after all is said and done, staying in the Valley might be just fine. (Especially if the Valley dumps Evansville to make room for one of them).

Comment

MWC.
          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
            3) A more distant 3rd is to get an offer from the C7 to be what most likely will be a 14 team conference. Questions: Can the original C7 and their minions be trusted to do what's best for all, not just themselves? Also, for all the WSU teams, travel, travel, travel (and as for me, a fan, not many places where I'd prefer to go).
            Such a sage post.

The politics in the Big Priest are potentially concerning for a couple of reasons: a) They have been through this before together and are likely to structure it with more control this time, b) even if you are elite you could end up like a star employee at a small family owned business. No matter how key you are to the business' success, if you don't share a last name with the owners you aren't getting rewarded.

This should be easy to sniff out when you receive an invitation, but you'd have to be thinking in those terms.

The same concerns probably hold true for MWC but to a lesser extent.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

This is a very difficult situation. Go back 5 years and look at the conferences. Look today. Now try and predict 5 years from now. Who knows what the picture will look like. For me, I would like to keep a midwestern flavor to our conference. I don't want to go to either coast. There is something to be said for regionalism.
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

MWC is by far our best option. Lots of quality programs, and if the speculation is somewhat true about Houston, UTEP, and Tulsa, travel won't be an issue with those schools and the Front Range schools. That would be a really good situation for us.
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

MWC

Comment

Upgrade the MVC. Officially change the name of conference to Valley of Death. Or the Big Valley of Death. Or the Big Major Valley of Power.

Comment

If you go to the MWC board, there is no mention or discussion of the possibility of us joining them. Unless I overlooked it. If I saw us being seriously discussed then I'd think it would be a baby step in the right direction, but the MWC expansion talk appears to only address programs with football.

I would like to see Elgin get off his ass and start looking to expand the Valley. But we are in no mans land due to our geographic location and lack of a football team. We're screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                        If you go to the MWC board, there is no mention or discussion of the possibility of us joining them. Unless I overlooked it. If I saw us being seriously discussed then I'd think it would be a baby step in the right direction, but the MWC expansion talk appears to only address programs with football.

I would like to see Elgin get off his ass and start looking to expand the Valley. But we are in no mans land due to our geographic location and lack of a football team. We're screwed.
                        Clearly message board chatter is the best way to determine if and when teams are joining new conferences.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                          Upgrade the MVC. Officially change the name of conference to Valley of Death. Or the Big Valley of Death. Or the Big Major Valley of Power.
                          Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you The Premier Conference.
                          Memphis, Middle Tennessee, Murray State, UTEP, S F Austin U, North Texas, ISUR, UNI, WSU, Ohio, Davidson, St. Louis/Bradley
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                            Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you The Premier Conference.
                            Memphis, Middle Tennessee, Murray State, UTEP, S F Austin U, North Texas, ISUR, UNI, WSU, Ohio, Davidson, St. Louis/Bradley
                            Okay if we are just picking teams I would prefer a conference more like this: WSU, CU, Tulsa, Memphis, St. Louis, Bradley, Illinois St, Dayton, Illinois-Chicago (or some other Chicago school, they appear to be the best in basketball right now), UTEP.

There are others I would prefer over some of these but I was trying to be somewhat realistic, picking teams that aren't in a BCS conference, the MWC, or aren't sure fire bets to be invited by the Catholic 7 (ie- Butler, Xavier).

I left off Missouri State. I would love to include them (proximity) but they would have to be more committed to basketball. Their basketball budget wreaks of small time.
                            Last edited by shox1989; January 3, 2013, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                              If you go to the MWC board, there is no mention or discussion of the possibility of us joining them.

???? There is quite a bit of talk about a WSU addition.

Thread specifically about adding WSU and inclusion in an expansion poll:

http://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?showtopic=44761
                              With BSU returning to the Mountain West Conference there are now 11 football teams and 10 Olympic or Basketball + schools in the conference. Assuming that the MWC wants a more even expansion, what options does the board prefer as to who gets invited to the conference in terms of Olympic sports? P...

There are several other threads discussing WSU - here are a couple of examples.

For oly sports I would love it. But we have a sweet indy football gig. Pick up BYU for oly sports along with Creighton and Wichita St.
                              Bring in Gonzaga or Wichita state as BB only schools to help with schedule balance.

http://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?showtopic=44928&st=0&p=979746
                              So someone else brought this up so it's not my idea, but I think it's the best idea for the MWC. with the rumblings that a new TV deal is being done, do this: off Cinci and Uconn a FB only home should they want to band with the catholic schools for BB only. This would give you 14 teams. Either st...

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                                Clearly message board chatter is the best way to determine if and when teams are joining new conferences.
                                I don't recall ever saying that message board material was thee best way or to be construed as gospel. It simply is a tool to measure the 'pulse of the people'. Had I observed our name being heavily discussed, it would give me a small measure of belief that the fans' administrators would be thinking the same thing. Capiche'?

Comment

Working...
                                X