Southern Miss game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by martymoose View Post
    The problem is, it's not as simple as placing 10,000 season ticket holders in a 15,000 seat arena. You have to keep in mind, both center court sections are taken by corporate poeple...not to mention all the all the Loge Boxes and Luxury boxes. That's probably 1000 - 2000 of the best seats in the house taken before you start handing anything out to season ticket holders.

All that said, I hope they sell the IBA game as they have done the last 2 seasons now. I don't mind spending $70 per ticket and sitting a few rows up near center court...I'd rather do that than have my 4 season tickets somewhere in the upper deck.
    And that's the thing. While a majority of the prices might have been a little steep, when you think about it, that's about the price of a ticket at Koch at mid court when you add in the SASO contributions... actually, it's probably a lot cheaper.

Quite simply, to get a good seat a Shocker game in the city of Wichita, it'll typically cost you. There's ways it can be trimmed up a bit. However, if anyone thinks it's possible to see the Shockers 10 rows up at midcourt for $15 or $20 at IBA, it's just not possible. I watched from an area behind the basket in the 109-110 areas. Now, I typically don't like that behind-the-basket view and don't have that angle with my season tickets. But for one night, it was something different and I enjoyed it. I was able to see the Shocks make their furious comeback. That's all I needed.

But you make a good point marty in your last paragraph. Season ticket holders complained with the Tulsa game about their seat assignments. That may have forced WSU to do the promoter thing. And now it's not part of the package and people can pick where they want, but nobody wants to pay cheap and sit in the upper bowl. It's a constant bitching session. It's a lose-lose situation. Sometimes you just gotta deal with it and suck it up for one game. The opponent needs to be better, I agree. Next year shouldn't be a problem in that regard. If WSU ever wants a big time opponent, that may only be possible with a promoter, unless it can be proven otherwise. So far, we haven't seen that it can be done on their own. If these IBA opponents are teams we can just get into Koch every year, then why isn't it happening?
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      And that's the thing. While a majority of the prices might have been a little steep, when you think about it, that's about the price of a ticket at Koch at mid court when you add in the SASO contributions... actually, it's probably a lot cheaper.

Quite simply, to get a good seat a Shocker game in the city of Wichita, it'll typically cost you. There's ways it can be trimmed up a bit. However, if anyone thinks it's possible to see the Shockers 10 rows up at midcourt for $15 or $20 at IBA, it's just not possible. I watched from an area behind the basket in the 109-110 areas. Now, I typically don't like that behind-the-basket view and don't have that angle with my season tickets. But for one night, it was something different and I enjoyed it. I was able to see the Shocks make their furious comeback. That's all I needed.

But you make a good point marty in your last paragraph. Season ticket holders complained with the Tulsa game about their seat assignments. That may have forced WSU to do the promoter thing. And now it's not part of the package and people can pick where they want, but nobody wants to pay cheap and sit in the upper bowl. It's a constant bitching session. It's a lose-lose situation. Sometimes you just gotta deal with it and suck it up for one game. The opponent needs to be better, I agree. Next year shouldn't be a problem in that regard. If WSU ever wants a big time opponent, that may only be possible with a promoter, unless it can be proven otherwise. So far, we haven't seen that it can be done on their own. If these IBA opponents are teams we can just get into Koch every year, then why isn't it happening?
      Spot on - The athletic administration can't win on this one, but they know it is very good for the program.... I hope we see this game every year.

Comment

• WSU will keep playing games at IBA because 1) Marshall likes it, 2) It helps recruiting to be able to show players a nice arena that serves as WSU’s second home, 3) Tennessee likely won’t come to Wichita to play in Koch Arena and 4) In the past two seasons, WSU got Conference USA opponents coming off NCAA Tournament appearances in Wichita without needing to return the game. Really, all you need to know is that Marshall loves playing at IBA. As long as he wants to play there, WSU will. Next season’s game – better opponent, better date – will be a tough ticket.

Read more here: http://blogs.kansas.com/shockwaves/#storylink=cpy

I kind of like the idea of excluding the IBA game from the season ticket packages but I think the priority point system should be used in some way to give first claim to our biggest financial supporters. Maybe even a $10 per ticket discount added in. Once those right of first refusal options pass then the tickets go on sale to the general public.

It was interesting to note when SASO awarded the $3 million + check to President Bardo at halftime last night that that came from only 2,300 or so SASO members. Those 2,300 SASO members are very important folks in my view and need to be treated accordingly.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 23, 2012, 12:09 PM.

Comment

The problem is, it's not as simple as placing 10,000 season ticket holders in a 15,000 seat arena. You have to keep in mind, both center court sections are taken by corporate poeple...not to mention all the all the Loge Boxes and Luxury boxes. That's probably 1000 - 2000 of the best seats in the house taken before you start handing anything out to season ticket holders.

All that said, I hope they sell the IBA game as they have done the last 2 seasons now. I don't mind spending $70 per ticket and sitting a few rows up near center court...I'd rather do that than have my 4 season tickets somewhere in the upper deck.
          Absolutely correct Marty. I've opened my wallet to get lower bowl seat these last two years. I don't want to end up in the upper bowl like the Tulsa game. Sell em on a first come first serve basis so the rabid fans have an opportunity. I'm pretty sure that's Gregg's preference.
          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metalkatz View Post
            Also its real nice to be able to enjoy alcohol there. Think how much concessions money college teams are missing out by not offering alcohol. I would have figure by now the greedy folks in the NCAA would have allowed this and take a %
            Well, since most college students are under the age of 21, why would the NCAA allow something like this? Why does someone need alcohol in order to enjoy a game?

Comment

• 11-1 in non-con...I don't care how we got there...how pretty or ugly it was...11-1 is 11-1. I predicted our record to be 10-2 at this point prior to the start of the season. Our team is learning how to persevere through challenging issues they can't control. What they can control is attitude, hard work and caring about one another. Now, it's on to the Valley of Death. UNI is target number one. Enjoy the Christmas season Shocker Nation. The fun has just begun!!!

Comment

• What of they offered a discount of so many dollars to season ticket holders? Say the price of their ticket at Koch? Then they can either get better seats cheaper or get a free ticket, or get several free tickets and take some friends.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                  Uh-oh... supply side economics. Better not let any Democrats read this; they'll get very upset.

Of course, if they have eyes to see and brains to think, they also might be converted, because you're obviously right -- lowering marginal prices can generate more revenue if it sells enough extra tickets to make up for the illusory "reduced" revenue generated by the extra tickets sold. This is why when stores need to boost their sales numbers they lower prices, not raise them, and it can work at sporting events too -- another way to put it is that 600 tickets at $8.50 each raise more money than zero tickets at $12.50 apiece.

Having said all that, isn't at least some of this, if not most, the failure of the promoter rather than WSU -- who sets the conditions for games at IBA?
                  Guess it's not just Democrats.

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

But hey, thanks for once again showing us that for some Shocker fans, one can never pass-up the opportunity to come to the BASKETBALL FORUM and slam their fellow Shocker fans with a political or economic position.
                  "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
                    But hey, thanks for once again showing us that for some Shocker fans, one can never pass-up the opportunity to come to the BASKETBALL FORUM and slam their fellow Shocker fans with a political or economic position.
                    Lighten-up, Francis.
                    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

• Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
                      Guess it's not just Democrats.

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2005/09/16/DI2005091601510.html

www.nacda.com/sports/nacma/spec-rel/050812aab.html

boohoo
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I enjoyed my $70 seats as well. I also hope they do the same thing as the last 2 years. And I have complained about the prices being too high for this years opponent, but next year this price structure should be fine for Tennessee.

I love seeing the lower seats filled with real fans instead of corporate zombies.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Read more here: http://blogs.kansas.com/shockwaves/#storylink=cpy

I kind of like the idea of excluding the IBA game from the season ticket packages but I think the priority point system should be used in some way to give first claim to our biggest financial supporters. Maybe even a $10 per ticket discount added in. Once those right of first refusal options pass then the tickets go on sale to the general public.

It was interesting to note when SASO awarded the $3 million + check to President Bardo at halftime last night that that came from only 2,300 or so SASO members. Those 2,300 SASO members are very important folks in my view and need to be treated accordingly.

Yes they do need to be treated well. Since we don't have a football team that can bring in $20 million a year in TV revenue we have to have SASO and committed fans that are willing to pay top dollar to fund our basketball program at the highest level possible.

I like the $10 discount per ticket. I also think they should be allowed to buy some extra tickets at the discounted price as well (number depending on their SASO level or priority points level). I also like being able to buy your seats early before they go on sale to the public. I think that system works well. It rewards your supporters but gives an opportunity for the rabid fans to occupy the best seats.

Comment

• Can you believe this team winning this game last night with only eight players? This is crazy success so far this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                              I enjoyed my $70 seats as well. I also hope they do the same thing as the last 2 years. And I have complained about the prices being too high for this years opponent, but next year this price structure should be fine for Tennessee.

I love seeing the lower seats filled with real fans instead of corporate zombies.
                              I'd expect higher prices next year because it's a name opponent. No way they offer the same pricing as they have for lesser name schools.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                                I'd expect higher prices next year because it's a name opponent. No way they offer the same pricing as they have for lesser name schools.
                                Since next year's game doesn't have a promoter involved, prices will likely be similar, if not, hopefully lower. It's WSU's game at that point.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X