Southern Miss game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shocker22 View Post
    Coach needs to play WIggins more in the first half. He is slowly figuring it out and more minutes is how he is going to get it. We had some huge dunks last night. Wiggins was my favorite on the follow. His chin was above the rim when he caught the ball and slammed it down. His effort is there he just needs to learn to defend D1 players. He can certainly score. We need this week to get healthy obviously. But beyond the obvious Cotton is only at 70% with a bruised heal and EO isn't fully healed from his ankle. I heard White's back is bothering him but It is very disapointing he didn't man up and play like the other guys. Starting to lose some respect there for a kid I thought was tough. Cotton and Demetric set the tone defensively.

Like coach said these games aren't pretty but the guys are showing heart and grit. It is inspiring to watch...in the second half anyways. :) While it is a struggle now I think going through these tough times will pay big dividends at the end of the year.

Go Shox!
    Note the difference between Coach's reaction to Armstead saying no and Jake saying no. Jake has roughed through quite a bit over the last year and a half. He has shown his toughness, and Coach Didnt question him or call him out. I'm sure he went back to the training room to get some help to be able to play, not find an excuse not to.

Comment

• Back trouble can be very real.

Comment

• Originally posted by fastbow View Post
        103? If so, I was just in front of you in the Santa hat...

Man am I glad we pulled that one out. Living in Texas now, it's such a treat to actually get to see the Shox in person...
        I did see you and remember the Santa hat. Crazy energy coming from that area last night as with a vast majority of the crowd. What an excellent Christmas present the Shox delivered last night!
        When your not practicing, someone somewhere is and when you meet him...he'll beat you.

Comment

• Back injuries are no fun. Especially for a guy that's going to be banging underneath fighting for every rebound and loose ball. I don't question Jake's toughness one bit. If he could, I'm sure he would have played.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
            Uh-oh... supply side economics. Better not let any Democrats read this; they'll get very upset.

Of course, if they have eyes to see and brains to think, they also might be converted, because you're obviously right -- lowering marginal prices can generate more revenue if it sells enough extra tickets to make up for the illusory "reduced" revenue generated by the extra tickets sold. This is why when stores need to boost their sales numbers they lower prices, not raise them, and it can work at sporting events too -- another way to put it is that 600 tickets at $8.50 each raise more money than zero tickets at $12.50 apiece.

Having said all that, isn't at least some of this, if not most, the failure of the promoter rather than WSU -- who sets the conditions for games at IBA?
            Yep, supply-side is IMPOSSIBLE for them to understand, but we digress.

The game at IBA is good for the program, but the way it has been executed has not been ideal, IMO. I put the blame for this mostly on the promoter, but a little on WSU-ICAA for signing a contract that allows the game management to be the way it is.

There is no doubt it costs a lot more to hold a game at Intrust, note all the people in the concourse with dust pans and brooms, a bazillion ticket scanners, cops to pat us down, etc., but it can't be too hard to figure out how to price the tickets FAIRLY. If you want to offer those courtside tickets for $150, that's fine, but bring the remaining tickets in-line with other arenas/events. A game vs. a mediocre opponent shouldn't cost a family $200 to attend, IMO.

The atmosphere at IBA was great - when the Shocks finally changed-up the offense and brought the pressure the 2/3 full arena got LOUD. Imagine if the joint was full! I was a bit mystified by the scattered empty seats in the middle three sections in the lower bowl. There were a few large bunches all around. Still, you get the blue-hairs and the corporate ticket hoarders out of the mix and much more intensity is the result. The other thing that needs to happen is to get the students and the band down at the west end which looks to be closer to the court. And was there a student price offered? If not, shame on the promoter.

Other than the fact that I found probably the most uncomfortable seat (about 8 inches of leg room) in the whole place, the experience was great. The good news: there were plenty of empty seats in 117 where I could grab one and enjoy a great 2nd half.

Kudos to the coaches and the team for a great start and a wonderful Christmas present.

Merry Christmas to all!

--'85.
            Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

• The student tickets we're handed out free like usual. The tickets we're labeled $12, so I'm not sure whether the athletic department was forced to buy those tickets from the promoter or not.

However, 90% of students are already out of town (or don't care enough to make a short drive downtown).

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
                And was there a student price offered? If not, shame on the promoter.
                Students could pick up a free ticket at the Shocker ticket office.
                Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  Cle was absolutely WINDED last night with 8 minutes to play. Carl out. White out. Who's gonna sub for him? Nobody, that's who. I think the timeouts down the stretch were more to get Cle oxygen than strategy, LOL. And I'm only half kidding.
                  You're not even half kidding. It was all about getting those kids some rest. DWill 36 minutes, Cle 37 minutes. Merry Christmas, MEN. Make sure your families unwrap your presents, I don't want you getting winded or hurt.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                    Is that other guy going for EOs wallet?
                    Oh, I thought that was his wallet!

Comment

• If we only had 9,600 there last night, there is no reason any season ticket holder should have their back on the wall for next years Tenn igame. There might be a few in the upper bowl but if they are in the upper bowl they should be in the first few rows.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker22 View Post
                        I heard White's back is bothering him but It is very disapointing he didn't man up and play like the other guys. Starting to lose some respect there for a kid I thought was tough.
                        I think you're off base with this opinion. Jake is reported to have been suffering with back spasms. I don't know if you have ever had back spasms, but I have, and believe me they can be (and in my case were) totally debilitating. One of the most painful things I have ever experienced.

The thing is back spasm are usually a symptom of an underlying cause or condition. What that cause or condition is will determine how long Jake is out. Could be very short-term or could turn into something chronic. Backs can be very tricky.

Comment

• Well, we can play with 9, I think, for a while. 8 is something that we cannot do.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                            Well, we can play with 9, I think, for a while. 8 is something that we cannot do.
                            Let's hope Jake's issues prove to be minor and he makes a quick recovery.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerLager View Post
                              If we only had 9,600 there last night, there is no reason any season ticket holder should have their back on the wall for next years Tenn igame. There might be a few in the upper bowl but if they are in the upper bowl they should be in the first few rows.
                              The problem is, it's not as simple as placing 10,000 season ticket holders in a 15,000 seat arena. You have to keep in mind, both center court sections are taken by corporate poeple...not to mention all the all the Loge Boxes and Luxury boxes. That's probably 1000 - 2000 of the best seats in the house taken before you start handing anything out to season ticket holders.

All that said, I hope they sell the IBA game as they have done the last 2 seasons now. I don't mind spending $70 per ticket and sitting a few rows up near center court...I'd rather do that than have my 4 season tickets somewhere in the upper deck.

Comment

• Originally posted by martymoose View Post
                                The problem is, it's not as simple as placing 10,000 season ticket holders in a 15,000 seat arena. You have to keep in mind, both center court sections are taken by corporate poeple...not to mention all the all the Loge Boxes and Luxury boxes. That's probably 1000 - 2000 of the best seats in the house taken before you start handing anything out to season ticket holders.

All that said, I hope they sell the IBA game as they have done the last 2 seasons now. I don't mind spending $70 per ticket and sitting a few rows up near center court...I'd rather do that than have my 4 season tickets somewhere in the upper deck.
                                +1

Comment

Working...
                                X