The Valley So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Valley So Far

Rate the teams 1-10 on their play so far.

1. Creighton
    2. WSU
    3. Illinois State
    4. UNI
    5. Drake
    6. Indiana State
    7. Bradley
    8. SIU
    9. Evansville
    10. MSU

Thoughts?

I think you're right on the money. That would be my ranking, as well.

Comment

There should be a way to rank us lower than 10th place. We'll be lucky to win more than three Valley games. Oh well at least I can live vicariously through your school's successes. Cheers and Mahalo!

Comment

I would switch one and two, but I'm biased
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

It's hard to argue with Creighton as number 1 while they have the Offence right now... once our younger players catch yup to the speed of DI ball our offence with be more reliable and give us the balance team and bench to really take us far.
          Last edited by HarpBros; December 4, 2012, 12:41 AM. Reason: coherency
          "Valley-shaking, nation-waking 29-game win streak." - Paul Suellentrop, The Wichita Eagle

Comment

1 - Wichita
            2 - Creighton
            3 - ISU
            4 - UNI
            5 - Drake
            6 - Bradley
            7 - ISUb
            8 - SIU
            9 - Evansville
            0 - SWOMO
            Last edited by SubGod22; December 4, 2012, 09:23 AM. Reason: Screwed up SIU at 8
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by HarpBros View Post
              It's hard with Creighton as number while they have the Offence right now... once our younger players catch yup to the speed of DI ball our offence with be more reliable and give us the balance team and bench to really take us far.
              We are currently tied for12th in the nation in points per possession with 1.13 points per possession. That's compared to Creighton's 1.17 points per possesion which is good for a tie for second. Not much of a difference there.
              There certainly is a difference in defense. WSU ranks 17th in the nation by only giving up .92 points per possession. Creighton is at #222 with 1.03 points per possession. This info comes from StatSheet.com.
              In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                We are currently tied for12th in the nation in points per possession with 1.13 points per possession. That's compared to Creighton's 1.17 points per possesion which is good for a tie for second. Not much of a difference there.
                There certainly is a difference in defense. WSU ranks 17th in the nation by only giving up .92 points per possession. Creighton is at #222 with 1.03 points per possession. This info comes from StatSheet.com.
                Creighton is getting 78 possessions per game for 3rd best. Shockers with 67 per for 218th.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthroshock View Post
                  Creighton is getting 78 possessions per game for 3rd best. Shockers with 67 per for 218th.
                  That is just a matter of game pace (and reflective of the lack of defense on CU's part leading to more possessions in their games), which is precisely why points per possession is a better comparison than raw scoring. Since teams just alternate possessions in basketball, there is no thing as "best" in number of possessions because having more possessions per game means opponents also have more possessions per game. What you do with those possessions on both offense and defense are what count.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    1 - Wichita
                    2 - Creighton
                    3 - ISU
                    4 - UNI
                    5 - Drake
                    6 - Bradley
                    7 - ISUb
                    8 - ISU
                    9 - Evansville
                    0 - SWOMO
                    Exactly.

I'm totally expecting BJ to get hammered in January @ Koch Arena. I really think we are going to shake them up bad. I predict a lot of eyes will be opened on that evening and I will once again be making the plea to increase HCGM's salary to 2M.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                      I'm totally expecting BJ to get hammered in January @ Koch Arena. I really think we are going to shake them up bad. I predict a lot of eyes will be opened on that evening and I will once again be making the plea to increase HCGM's salary to 2M.
                      No offense to Coach Marshall, but don't you think he needs to win some NCAA tournament games before we throw another half million on the fire?
                      Last edited by n8; December 4, 2012, 03:42 AM.

Comment

I also would switch one and two...WSU's two good road wins trumps Creighton's lackluster loss to an admittedly improved Boise team...

Comment

I think you grabbed last years numbers. Looking at statsheet for 2012-2013 Creighton is 1.21(#5) / .93(#106) and WSU is 1.08 (#61) / .89 (#40) for offense / defense

Comment

I like WSU at one as well.

The only other team I wonder about is Bradley being better than six or seven.
                            They are 5-2 with an 8 point loss to number 3 Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by calfan View Post
                              I like WSU at one as well.

The only other team I wonder about is Bradley being better than six or seven.
                              They are 5-2 with an 8 point loss to number 3 Michigan.
                              I thought about that as well. But who do you leapfrog?

Comment

Working...
                              X