The Valley So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
    I also would switch one and two...WSU's two good road wins trumps Creighton's lackluster loss to an admittedly improved Boise team...
    Yes.

Boise st was picked 8th in the mwc this year. They knock off creighton and all the sudden Boise st is great and creighton is still just as highly regarded?

If we had seen Bradley win over a ranked team, would we vault them into the rankings or would we assume it was a huge (and awesome) fluke? Wouldn't we knock that ranked team way back, give Bradley a little credit and wait to see A LOT more before we decided they were great?

We know about the other strong valley teams ahead of bradley still and we would know they were still probably going to finish near where they were picked, and maybe a tad better (regarding boise st). We would also know that they exposed some big problems with the team they knocked off. That game does more to expose creighton than it does to elevate the almost last place mwc team. People can be so sold on believing in creighton that they look right past what really happened. They choked and Boise st is probably about as good as a middle of the road valley team toward the lower side.

All that to say, we haven't choked yet. Until further notice, we had the best valley start no matter how good people want to believe creighton is.
    Last edited by Dave Stalwart; December 4, 2012, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by n8 View Post
      No offense to Coach Marshall, but don't you think he needs to win some NCAA tournament games before we throw another half million on the fire?
      Hell no! Pay the man... he's worth every penny. I've never been more proud to be a Shocker fan and I don't want that to change just because the administration is asleep at the wheel.

Are Bill Self, Roy Williams, Mike Krzyzewski, and John ‘Crook’alipari more important to their respective universities than Gregg Marshall is to WSU? Although they are in an exclusive league by themselves, I say no, coach Marshall has the potential to bring us tremendous notoriety with a perennial top 20 program. I think he’s only scratched the surface at this point. He recruits outstanding citizens, great athletes, graduates players and best of all, he wins games. I don’t know what more we should expect out of him? The guy can coach at any level and has the tools to take us to a very high level.

No, coach Marshall isn’t perfect (none of us are); however he’s the PERFECT coach for WSU. He carries a ‘chip’ on his shoulder like the majority of Shocker fans that are continually ‘put down’ by our neighbors to the north.

What more could we expect out of him at this point? He continues to build and improve our program in the right way. Is there a coach in America (including the names listed above) that out work him? I hope that money would never be the reason for him to leave WSU. I say continue to pay the man a high level BCS wage (no, not KU, North Carolina, Duke or Kentucky level, but a top 20 program wage). Unlike many of our peers, we have the resources (alumni) to compete at the very highest level.

Other than our conference (the primary reason coach Marshall might consider leaving in the future), what is mid-major about WSU? Actually our conference is the only thing I can think of that isn’t BCS level from top to bottom.

I continue to ‘pinch myself’ and hope this isn’t a dream.

KC’s ‘mid-major’ rebuttal in 3, 2, 1…
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I prefer our "body of work" to date over Creighton's so if point of "Valley so far" is to compare that I put WSU at #1. However, if it is to project performance I still give CU the edge with all they returned and our relative inexperience. I like our chances as the season progresses, but I still forsee some bumps in the road in the early Valley season even though we are playing well above expectations so far. Not to knock this team one bit; I love what they've accomplished and think this is going to be a special season. Just saying I have to give CU an edge in the Valley race given what they bring.
        Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Creighton may still have 'what should happen' on their side, but they currently don't have 'what is happening' on their side. All that can change in a couple weeks time this month, but I don't think it will.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
            Boise st was picked 8th in the mwc this year. They knock off creighton and all the sudden Boise st is great and creighton is still just as highly regarded?
            Uh, we were picked 4th in the Valley this year--sometimes the predictions can be a little off. At any rate, BSU is 6-1, its only loss a nail biter to #15 Michigan State, and it's FAR from last place in one of the tougher conferences in the country this year. Yep, they sure spanked Creighton at home, but it's a little naive to think Creighton will just be a pushover this year and BSU just exposed how awful they are.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Creighton is still the team to beat regardless of current record. We will have our bumps in the road sooner or later. I expect CU to come out on top this year although I do think we will take 1 of 2 from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                Uh, we were picked 4th in the Valley this year--sometimes the predictions can be a little off. At any rate, BSU is 6-1, its only loss a nail biter to #15 Michigan State, and it's FAR from last place in one of the tougher conferences in the country this year. Yep, they sure spanked Creighton at home, but it's a little naive to think Creighton will just be a pushover this year and BSU just exposed how awful they are.
                Don't go so far with my words. When I say exposed I mean as beatable, not as a pushover. They are still the obvious pick to win the valley in my mind too. I said all that to make the point that our résumé so far is currently better than theirs and we had the best November. It is what it is.

Comment

Also there is a difference between getting picked a contested 4th and getting picked at the bottom of your conference. Boise st probably won't finish 8th. Ill give you that, but unless they win the mwc or at least take like third or fourth it was a choke job compared to what would be expected that exposes cu as beatable. I don't think Boise st will finish that strong.
                  Last edited by Dave Stalwart; December 4, 2012, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Beginning of the season I always thought of us as a 2nd or 3rd place team in the MVC. I'm prepared to throw 2nd & 3rd out the windah!
                    "Ralph Miller was one of the finest coaches in the history of intercollegiate basketball. His teams were always fundamentally sound, team oriented, well conditioned, and ran both their offense and defense with great patience. I know of no coach whose teams competed against his, whether it be at Wichita State, Iowa, or Oregon State, who did not have great respect for him."—John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Creighton is still the team to beat regardless of current record. We will have our bumps in the road sooner or later. I expect CU to come out on top this year although I do think we will take 1 of 2 from them.
                      I got a feeling we will take 2 of 3 from them this year.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

It's interesting to note that WSU's inexperienced bunch has handled adversity better than CU's more experienced bunch. When the going got tough, WSU went 2-0 (VCU and AFA). CU has gone 0-1.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                          It's interesting to note that WSU's inexperienced bunch has handled adversity better than CU's more experienced bunch. When the going got tough, WSU went 2-0 (VCU and AFA). CU has gone 0-1.

I don't think Wisconsin was any gimme. So I think really they are 1-1 in tough games.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            I got a feeling we will take 2 of 3 from them this year.
                            If you mean one loss in St. Lou then I agree.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                              Hell no! Pay the man... he's worth every penny. I've never been more proud to be a Shocker fan and I don't want that to change just because the administration is asleep at the wheel.

Are Bill Self, Roy Williams, Mike Krzyzewski, and John ‘Crook’alipari more important to their respective universities than Gregg Marshall is to WSU? Although they are in an exclusive league by themselves, I say no, coach Marshall has the potential to bring us tremendous notoriety with a perennial top 20 program. I think he’s only scratched the surface at this point. He recruits outstanding citizens, great athletes, graduates players and best of all, he wins games. I don’t know what more we should expect out of him? The guy can coach at any level and has the tools to take us to a very high level.

No, coach Marshall isn’t perfect (none of us are); however he’s the PERFECT coach for WSU. He carries a ‘chip’ on his shoulder like the majority of Shocker fans that are continually ‘put down’ by our neighbors to the north.

What more could we expect out of him at this point? He continues to build and improve our program in the right way. Is there a coach in America (including the names listed above) that out work him? I hope that money would never be the reason for him to leave WSU. I say continue to pay the man a high level BCS wage (no, not KU, North Carolina, Duke or Kentucky level, but a top 20 program wage). Unlike many of our peers, we have the resources (alumni) to compete at the very highest level.

Other than our conference (the primary reason coach Marshall might consider leaving in the future), what is mid-major about WSU? Actually our conference is the only thing I can think of that isn’t BCS level from top to bottom.

I continue to ‘pinch myself’ and hope this isn’t a dream.

KC’s ‘mid-major’ rebuttal in 3, 2, 1…
                              Rack 'em!
                              SFL is back!

Comment

Boise st is down 21 to Utah with 10 to go. I'm gonna go ahead and say we are the best team in the valley. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X