Air Force vs WSU live stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
    I think some of y'all don't quite understand the way the tv situation works. Cox didn't just play super hero and pick up the broadcasts because nobody else would. They just simply bought it out in hopes of people would switch tv companies to watch WSU. It's not uncommon for the cable companies to squish out the network stations. Medicom does it for the Missouri and Iowa schools. Comcast does it for the Illinois schools, etc. Dish or Directv don't "bid" for broadcast rights. Cox simply overmatched KWCH or whatever with their bid and WSU gladly accepted the bigger payout, despite the fact less Shocker fans can watch the games. If KWCH would have picked up the games, ALL television companies would be able to carry games - Cox, ATT, Dish, Directv, etc. - not just 1 like there is now. Cox certainly doesn't deserve kudos in anything. KWCH would have picked up the games. But WSU chose to go the money route. Go figure.
    I'm not sure you know anything about this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
      I'm not sure you know anything about this situation.
      Alright big boy. Correct me.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Alright big boy. Correct me.
        As far as I can tell through a little research online, Channel 22 is owned by LIN Media Group who also owns KSNW, the bought the rights to it from KAKE like 5 years ago. Cox must have some sort of partnership with them and that's why they are the only company airing these broadcasts. I don't think this falls under anything other than smart business decisions made by Cox. It gives them an avenue to market to existing customers as well as to broaden their footprint by having new customers sign up to view local and college sports programming that would not otherwise even be on television. Tell me where they are doing anything different from what any other company would do? I don't think Cox paid any money since they don't own the station.

Comment

I never stated it wasn't a smart decision by Cox. I'm saying it's a stupid decision by WSU to give Cox sole rights to the games. That impedes the exposure of WSU basketball to the city, metro, and state. I wasn't a math major, but doesn't it make more sense from a WSU perspective to make games available to 100% of the potential market/fanbase, rather than 35%?

Could you imagine KU basketball carrying their local broadcasts only on Cox 22? Could you imagine the chaos that would ensue? But I guess we're just a small-time, undeserving shadow of the flagship?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

@ShockerFever:

I agree with you, but you are forgetting the other half of the equation.

100%>35% but 35%>0%.
            Last edited by Downtown Shocker Brown; December 1, 2012, 10:10 PM. Reason: Math apparently doesn't add up without right symbols.

Comment

I'd pick the Air Force over the WSU live stream every day of the week.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

DSB...please tell us you weren't a math major.

Comment

Are we presuming that Cox has sole rights? Where can we find info on whether other networks could pick up those games? I'm sure a bidding process is done, but I can't imagine that a WSU vs. Air Force Academy game is going to get scooped up to quickly by any major network. So I'm happy I have the option of watching it, in HD nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post
                    DSB...please tell us you weren't a math major.
                    Math Major - Yes.

Typing Major - No.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                      @ShockerFever

I agree with you, but you are forgetting the other half of the equation.

100%>35% but 35%>0%.
                      I just find it very unfathomable and very hard to believe that games wouldn't or couldn't be broadcast on KWCH. You're telling me they were able to do it in the past, in the darkest of all our days in the 90's, when we didn't have the money like we do now, but wouldn't be able to now? Unless you can show clear evidence to the contrary, I just can't acknowledge Cox as the saving grace in this television contract. I'd rather acknowledge them as the money grabber, with WSU ignorantly assisting.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Shock&awe View Post
                        Are we presuming that Cox has sole rights? Where can we find info on whether other networks could pick up those games? I'm sure a bidding process is done, but I can't imagine that a WSU vs. Air Force Academy game is going to get scooped up to quickly by any major network. So I'm happy I have the option of watching it, in HD nonetheless.
                        We're not talking about CBS, the national network. We're talking about KWCH, the local CBS affiliate. BIG difference which you are missing the entire point.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

We're not talking about CBS, the national network. We're talking about KWCH, the local CBS affiliate. BIG difference which you are missing the entire point.
                          It isn't that easy. I know it seems easy, but it isn't. Networks only allow affiliates to preempt a small amount of programming. These rules have gotten stricter over time. While it is a no brainer for a fan of a team to believe, and usually rightfully so, that broadcasting the local team is a cash cow, the penalties can outweigh any gains. Also, if they go over their allotted time in preemptive programming, the local channel could risk the loss of network affiliation.
                          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                            It isn't that easy. I know it seems easy, but it isn't. Networks only allow affiliates to preempt a small amount of programming. These rules have gotten stricter over time. While it is a no brainer for a fan of a team to believe, and usually rightfully so, that broadcasting the local team is a cash cow, the penalties can outweigh any gains. Also, if they go over their allotted time in preemptive programming, the local channel could risk the loss of network affiliation.
                            It doesn't seem to bother WIBW TV 13 in Topeka or KSNT TV 27 in Topeka as both stations pre-empt programming every year to show KU and Kstate games as well as every game of the the big 12 basketball tournament.

Channel 10 in Wichita and Channel 12 in Wichita both over the years have shown a large number of Shocker basketball games in the past. Channel 12 even showed a number of Shocker football games and baseball games in the past (actually channel 10 also did some Shocker baseball games in the past).

Maybe the rules have gotten stricter but they don't seem to have applied to Topeka.

Comment

Nor has the rules kept KMTV in Omaha (CBS affiliate same network as KWCH in Wichita) from showing 7 Creighton Basketball games this year. I guess the stricter rules don't apply to Omaha or Topeka just Wichita.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                                Nor has the rules kept KMTV in Omaha (CBS affiliate same network as KWCH in Wichita) from showing 7 Creighton Basketball games this year. I guess the stricter rules don't apply to Omaha or Topeka just Wichita.
                                Actually, it is a huge burden for KM-3. One of the reasons that they do it is because they are dead last in local programming. They are dead last by quite a large margin. The Creighton games help bridge the gap and they use a large portion of their allotted preemptive time doing so. They also make good by rebroadcasting the network feed overnight to make good. This may sound easy, but they give up a bunch of money by not being able to sell the overnight time. They are effectively giving away the overnight time where they could otherwise run cash cow infomercials. I know it sounds stupid, but infomercials are easy money that bring more revenue than the rebroadcasts ever do.

When I sold TV, I loved selling infomercials! Seriously, it's not an easy decision to preempt for the local team.
                                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X