No announcement yet.

WSU versus Iowa, predictions and pregame discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankly, I don't quite understand my own calmness with this team. We may win tonight, we may lose, but I know we're going to get better and be more prepared for what awaits down the road for this team.

I love where this program is right now, the people leading it and the direction it's going. I am comfortable that big things are on the horizon, and that we'll get there.

And I am not worried at all.

Comment

I want to clarify an earlier statement I made. I stated that we may not be good against a team that doesn't press us. I know that Iowa likes to press, but I don't they will try that tonight. In no universe is their press better than VCU's Havok defense, and we've already shown we can beat us. Pressing us would be ineffective, and honestly would help us more than hurt us, so I don't think Iowa will press us.

I do think it is funny that they are questioning Cleanthony Early's athleticism on their board. Maybe by the 3rd or 4th tip in they'll see what I meant when I said he should score a fair number of points.

If Iowa wants to win, they need to play zone, and not press. That is how you beat this Wichita State team. To be fair, I think Iowa will have similar problems against a zone, but usually our man defense has the same affect with all our shotblockers forcing the other team to the perimeter.

Comment

We've trailed for 8:32 (all against VCU and more than half of that on one stint) out of 240 minutes on the court this season. I like our chances.

Comment

I will say one thing about a zone defense. You don't necessarily have to have great outside shooting to break down a zone. If you can penetrate the seams and get into the open spaces of the zone it can be broken down from the inside. It always helps to have the sharpshooters, but as they say there is more than one way to pluck a Hawk.

Comment

I'm looking forward to this game. All due respect to our previous opponents, you guys are the first really quality team Iowa has played, so it will be a good measuring stick for us. We have 2 talented freshmen as key contibutors, Mike Gesell PG and Adam Woodbury C. We've yet to see how these guys will handle a tough opponent, so tonight we find out I suppose.

I've seen a lot of WSU board comments that the press would be ineffective against Wichita St. I've unfortunately not see too many WSU games. Why would the press be a bad strategy for Iowa? McCaffery runs it quite a bit, so something's gotta give.

Iowa has struggled scoring against zone defense at times this year, so I think thats what you would want to try. We have struggled from 3, but I think our shooters are better than they have been so far, still waiting for them to prove it.

Anyway, win or lose, good luck to you the rest of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkize31 View Post
              I've seen a lot of WSU board comments that the press would be ineffective against Wichita St. I've unfortunately not see too many WSU games. Why would the press be a bad strategy for Iowa? McCaffery runs it quite a bit, so something's gotta give.
              Teams that press end up giving WSU easy layups and open shots.
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Just ask VCU and their supposedly unstoppable press.
                Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

About everybody has tried to press us this year including VCU and their Havoc defense without much success. Pressing us essentially spreads the defense out and gives us better opportunity to attack in space with a pretty good group of athletes. However, these same athletes are still learning Coach Marshall's offense and we are not IMO as effective in the half court.

Don't expect much zone from the Shockers. We will play some zone on occassion but not much. Coach Marshall is a big man-to-man proponent and quite frankly the strength of our team so far this year has been our tough man defense.

Good luck to the Hawkeyes as well after tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Frankly, I don't quite understand my own calmness with this team. We may win tonight, we may lose, but I know we're going to get better and be more prepared for what awaits down the road for this team.

I love where this program is right now, the people leading it and the direction it's going. I am comfortable that big things are on the horizon, and that we'll get there.

I think the reason for your calmness is that despite all the new faces, they seem to jell together quite well and they seem to not get rattled when things are not going a expected. They look suprising like last years team with a new cast of characters.
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

The Hawkeye optimist in me wants to think maybe VCU was TOO agressive in their press. Iowa's press allows them to often recover and play halfcourt defense when it breaks down. If WSU's athleticism repeatedly shreds it, Fran will adjust I'm sure and you won't see it much.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        Nor am I. And nobody should be. This group is going to be just fine.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkize31 View Post
                          The Hawkeye optimist in me wants to think maybe VCU was TOO agressive in their press. Iowa's press allows them to often recover and play halfcourt defense when it breaks down. If WSU's athleticism repeatedly shreds it, Fran will adjust I'm sure and you won't see it much.
                          VCU played a pretty good defensive game against the Shocks. After all we only scored 53 points. But for VCU to be successful they have to force live ball turnovers that lead to points. They could not do that against the Shocks and that made it very difficult for them to score as they only managed 51.

Sounds like the Iowa's press may be just a nuisance press designed to force a team to take a little more time in getting into their half-court offense. Which could be effective with the Shocks unless we step up our game a little in the half-court.

If the trend for this year's team holds true we will win this game primarily based on our defense.

Comment

Here is a prediction by an Iowa fan. http://iowa.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?f...id=940&style=2
                            After watching the Depaul-WSU game last night i would be surprised if they give us a better game than WKU. I wasn't terribly impressed with WSU and IMO they are not as good as WKU, although that comparison is hard to make since DePaul is wretched. They play decent defense but there aren't many options on the other end of the court. Hall is their best scorer, a nice player, but i look for him too really struggle against our height (and length), he hasn't had to deal with this up to this point. That being said, Iowa hasn't been stellar offensively either but has been very good defensively (sans one half). I am going to assume White is still dinged up for tonight so he won't be a huge factor, but i see Marble wanting to come out with something to prove after a very average performance. I see iowa by 12 in this one, something like Iowa 70-58. I saw nothing from WSU that leads me to believe they will keep it real close but who knows.
                            :highly_amused:
                            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I would be shocked to see Iowa score over 65 points
                              Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I especially like the line i look for him too really struggle against our height (and length), he hasn't had to deal with this up to this point. :highly_amused:

The Iowa fans apparently have no idea who Hall faces every practice WSU holds or who he faced in practice last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X