2024-25 - The WuOracle & Infallible Authority of Truth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    I'm sick of Jake White not getting his due in these discussions. That kid is still standing under a basket somewhere, frozen like the Statue of David, covering his berries, and braced for impact. He won't get the call if and when it ever comes, but so what?. He's ready, and that's all that matters.
    Q: Where does Jake White at WSU rank in the all-time list of men's basketball players?
    A: Jake White, who played for Wichita State University before transferring to the University of Nebraska Omaha, is not typically listed among the top all-time players in Wichita State’s storied basketball history.

The rankings often highlight players like Xavier McDaniel, Antoine Carr, and Fred VanVleet, who had significant impacts on the program.

Jake White had a solid career, contributing to the team’s success, including being part of the squad that reached the NCAA Final Four. However, his individual accolades and statistical contributions do not place him among the very top players in the program’s history.

If you have any more questions or need further information, feel free to ask​.

Q: What about the rebound and basket he made right before half during the NCAA tournament?
    A: Jake White had some notable moments during his time at Wichita State, including key plays in important games.

One memorable instance was during the NCAA tournament when he grabbed a crucial rebound and made a basket just before halftime. This play helped maintain the team’s momentum and contributed to their overall performance in the tournament. While specific details about this exact play might not be widely documented, it’s clear that Jake White made significant contributions during his time with the Shockers.

If you have any more questions or need further information, feel free to ask!​

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

We need some kind of social media/media push about Ross McBurney! We need someone put together some kind of Ken Burns style narrative video about "The Greatest Shocker You Never Heard Of"!
      Q: Can you help us with a campaign to get Ross McBurney’s jersey retired?
      A: Absolutely, I’d be happy to help with that! Here are some steps you can take to launch a successful campaign to get Ross McBurney’s jersey retired at Wichita State University:

1. Gather Support
      Petition: Create an online petition on platforms like Change.org to gather signatures from supporters.
      Social Media: Use social media platforms to spread the word. Create a hashtag (e.g., #RetireRossMcBurney) and encourage fans to share their support.

2. Engage the Community
      Alumni and Fans: Reach out to Wichita State alumni, fans, and former players to gather testimonials and support.
      Local Media: Contact local newspapers, radio stations, and TV channels to cover your campaign.

3. Highlight Achievements
      Accomplishments: Emphasize Ross McBurney’s significant contributions and achievements, such as being the first basketball All-American at Wichita State and leading the team to a 19-2 record.
      Impact: Showcase how his legacy has inspired current and future athletes.

4. Formal Request
      Letter to Athletic Director: Send a formal letter to the Athletic Director, Kevin Saal, detailing Ross McBurney’s accomplishments and the reasons for retiring his jersey. Include the petition and testimonials.
      Board of Trustees: If possible, present your case to the university’s Board of Trustees or relevant committees.

5. Events and Fundraisers
      Events: Organize events such as rallies, games, or alumni gatherings to raise awareness and support.
      Fundraisers: Consider fundraising efforts to support the campaign and any related activities.

6. Consistent Follow-Up
      Updates: Keep supporters updated on the campaign’s progress through social media and email newsletters.
      Persistence: Follow up with the university administration to ensure your request is being considered.

Sample Social Media Post
      “Join us in honoring a true Wichita State legend! Sign our petition to retire Ross McBurney’s jersey and celebrate his incredible contributions to Shocker basketball. #RetireRossMcBurney #ShockerPride”

Sample Testimonial
      “Ross McBurney’s dedication and achievements on the court have left an indelible mark on Wichita State University. Retiring his jersey would be a fitting tribute to his legacy and an inspiration to future generations of athletes.”

Feel free to use and adapt these ideas to fit your campaign. If you need more specific help with any part of the campaign, just let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Definitely, you sitting in the wrong section is absolutely reason to make the top 5.

Seriously though, good point. That was as close to the floor (I think I was around row 13 for Iowa, not my season tickets) as I ever sat until I started sitting on the floor in the early 90s. And it was more packed than any game I've attended at WSU and insanely loud. The roar that started around the 17 minute mark of the second half and never let up until the final buzzer was crazy. There have been few games to rival that for noise, the oft referenced 2004 SIU game being the most likely.

The down 23 timeout when Turg started chewing ass on the bench is one of my favorite memories, because of both the crowd reaction and subsequent team response (14-4 run to end the half, 15-0 run to start the 2nd half to take the first lead after trailing 11-0 to start the game).

PS Without going into details, did you get my text over the weekend regarding the person you were supposed to be sitting with at the Iowa game?
        Yes!! I was in NYC at the Open....I'll respond!

Comment

Jake White was planted in the lane when he was just a gleam in his father's eye, and still can't get the call!

I remember one game where I swear he was set, both feet firmly planted, had enough time to actually look around him, stare the oncoming ballhandler in the eye like a wild west shootout, and then...

block call.
          One game?
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

One game?
            Well that was one I witnessed live and in person. And maybe was the one to the most ridiculous degree. But oh yes, he had many like that.
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Refs hated Jake for some reason.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                Refs hated Jake for some reason.
                Because his game was so zero, it made their job harder. Jake White simply entering the game was a foul.

Still trying to forget him and Kampman. Thx!

Comment

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Well that was one I witnessed live and in person. And maybe was the one to the most ridiculous degree. But oh yes, he had many like that.
                      Would not have been shocked if you were describing the Tennessee game in 12-13. That and the Seton Hall game in 15-16 stand out as some particularly poorly officiated games that swung the outcome against us.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I’ve said it before, if Ross had played at KU, they’d have a ‘shrine’ for him equivalent of Allen or Naismith. McBurney is a legend and should be revered here. Don’t get me started.
                        Not the best comparison to Naismith and Allen. Naismith is famous for inventing the game of basketball. Allen is known mostly as the “father of coaches”. He started the NABC, and coached basketball at KU from 1919-1957. I’m sure there were AA basketball players who played for Allen before Wilt Chamberlain during Ross’ era, who had their jerseys retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Not the best comparison to Naismith and Allen.
                          Why make some leap that he was comparing them to those two?

If anybody he is comparing them to KU's Arthur Ackerman.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Not the best comparison to Naismith and Allen. Naismith is famous for inventing the game of basketball. Allen is known mostly as the “father of coaches”. He started the NABC, and coached basketball at KU from 1919-1957. I’m sure there were AA basketball players who played for Allen before Wilt Chamberlain during Ross’ era, who had their jerseys retired.
                            Jeez Louise… see hyperbole.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Why do people continually bring up "with Gene's players" like that's unheard of? I think it's pretty rare for a coach to be let go, players stay and the next coach is immediately better with the same guys. If they get better, it's usually in season 2 or beyond and/or the transitional players are gone, one way or the other. It's hardly Eddie's fault that players stayed. And he certainly gets credit (or should) for making them better (remember they were 14-14 the year before and pretty crappy to be honest) especially the immediate change in Hank's game and Dwaine Praylow.

Joe Griffin was a freshman Eddie's first season. Maybe Gene signed him, I don't know, but he was only coached by Eddie. And Joe was a handful. I assume Gene probably did recruit him based on that alone.

I get people don't like that Eddie left. But doesn't that say something? I also get that people didn't like his coaching style. They are wrong, but I do get it. His support of Mike Cohen to replace him was awful, no doubt about it. But that's how he was taught. NO ONE thinks Eddie is a better coach than Roy Williams. NO ONE. But Eddie had seniority at Carolina and was in line for a head coaching position first. Dean had great assistants. Eddie didn't, but he thought the same way.
                              We didn't get to see Eddie coach Eddie's players (that's the point). "Eddie's players" led historically bad WSU teams, by a coach he highly recommended to lead Wichita State into the future while walking out the door (he saw the writing on the wall). Thank God he didn't assist in any further coaching hires via his 'consulting' firm. No thanks.

His seeming disdain for walking the sidelines of Henry Levitt was reciprocal, by many. Whether he was a good guy or not is irrelevant. Cohen was a great guy!

Comment

We always enjoyed Coach Marshall's impersonation of Jake on the MK radio coaches' show with the exaggerated Minnesota accent : " Cooooach, poote me in the game"

Comment

Working...
                                X