Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    Ross McBurney
    Q: Where does WSU basketball player Ross McBurney rank over all compared to all other players?

A: Ross McBurney is a significant figure in Wichita State basketball history. He played as a center for the Shockers from 1926 to 1929 and was the school’s first basketball All-American in 19271. McBurney led the team to a 19-2 record that year and a third-place finish in the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) tournament1.

Given his pioneering role and achievements, McBurney is often considered one of the top players in WSU history. He would likely be ranked in the top 10 or top 15 of all-time WSU players, especially considering his All-American status and the impact he had during his era12.

Is there anything specific about his career or legacy that you’re curious about?​

Comment

As of now, the players with retired jerseys at Charles Koch Arena are:

Q: Who has their jersey in the rafters at Charles Koch Arena?

A: Several Wichita State basketball players have had their jerseys retired and are honored in the rafters at Charles Koch Arena. These players include:

1. Cleo Littleton - No. 13
      2. Dave Stallworth - No. 42
      3. Xavier McDaniel - No. 34
      4. Antoine Carr - No. 35
      5. Cliff Levingston - No. 53

These players are celebrated for their exceptional contributions to Wichita State basketball and their lasting impact on the program.

If you’re looking for more detailed information about any of these players or other aspects of WSU basketball history, feel free to ask!​

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        Ross McBurney
        "modern basketball history"

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

"modern basketball history"
          I’ve said it before, if Ross had played at KU, they’d have a ‘shrine’ for him equivalent of Allen or Naismith. McBurney is a legend and should be revered here. Don’t get me started.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I’ve said it before, if Ross had played at KU, they’d have a ‘shrine’ for him equivalent of Allen or Naismith. McBurney is a legend and should be revered here. Don’t get me started.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
              I think the Iowa 81 games HAS to be opn the list for two reasons:
              -without that win, there IS no Battle Of New Orleans win
              -i managed to sit in the wrong section for an entire half and wondered why my games partner would miss such an epic game....

and, oh, yeah...loudest arena ever that day...
              Molly sighting!

Comment

I watched both Jabali and Baker. I don't think there can be any argument, Jabali was better. Jabali wsa better than Early. Littleton almost has to be on any top 5 list.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Q: Tell me a joke about Wichita State and basketball
                  A: Sure, here’s a lighthearted joke for you:

Why did the Wichita State basketball team bring a ladder to the game?
                  Because they heard the Shockers always reach new heights! ??
                  Hope that brought a smile to your face! Do you follow Wichita State basketball closely?

That’s dumb, give me something funnier.
                  Alright, let’s try this one:
                  Why did the Wichita State basketball player go to art school?
                  Because he wanted to learn how to draw fouls! ??
                  How’s that? Got any favorite basketball moments from Wichita State?

Comment

Q: Can you write me a letter to send to the Athletic Director Kevin Saal at Wichita State to have Ross McBurney's jersey retired?
                    A: Here’s the letter with accomplishments included:

[Your Name]
                    [Your Address]
                    [City, State, ZIP Code]
                    [Email Address]
                    [Phone Number]
                    [Date]

Kevin Saal
                    Athletic Director
                    Wichita State University
                    1845 Fairmount St
                    Wichita, KS 67260

Dear Mr. Saal,

I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing to you as a dedicated supporter of Wichita State University and its athletic programs. I would like to propose the retirement of Ross McBurney’s jersey in recognition of his outstanding contributions to our basketball program.

Ross McBurney’s tenure at Wichita State was marked by exceptional performance, leadership, and sportsmanship. His dedication on and off the court has left a lasting impact on the university and its community. His achievements include:
                    • Becoming Wichita State University’s first basketball All-American in 1927.
                    • Leading the Shockers to a 19-2 record and a third-place finish in the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) tournament in 1927.
                    • Being named to the AAU All-American team in 1927 and 1929.
                    • Winning three consecutive national titles with Henry’s Clothiers of Wichita from 1930 to 1932.
                    • Attending 10 AAU championship tournaments during his career.
                    These accomplishments have set a high standard for future athletes and have brought great pride to our institution. Retiring Ross McBurney’s jersey would not only honor his legacy but also inspire current and future athletes to strive for excellence. It would be a fitting tribute to a player who has given so much to Wichita State University.

Thank you for considering this request. I am confident that recognizing Ross McBurney in this manner would be a meaningful and well-deserved honor. I look forward to your positive response.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]

Feel free to customize this letter further if needed. Let me know if there’s anything else you’d like to add or change!​

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                      Q: Can you write me a letter to send to the Athletic Director Kevin Saal at Wichita State to have Ross McBurney's jersey retired?
                      A: Here’s the letter with accomplishments included:

[Your Name]
                      [Your Address]
                      [City, State, ZIP Code]
                      [Email Address]
                      [Phone Number]
                      [Date]

Kevin Saal
                      Athletic Director
                      Wichita State University
                      1845 Fairmount St
                      Wichita, KS 67260

Dear Mr. Saal,

I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing to you as a dedicated supporter of Wichita State University and its athletic programs. I would like to propose the retirement of Ross McBurney’s jersey in recognition of his outstanding contributions to our basketball program.

Ross McBurney’s tenure at Wichita State was marked by exceptional performance, leadership, and sportsmanship. His dedication on and off the court has left a lasting impact on the university and its community. His achievements include:
                      • Becoming Wichita State University’s first basketball All-American in 1927.
                      • Leading the Shockers to a 19-2 record and a third-place finish in the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) tournament in 1927.
                      • Being named to the AAU All-American team in 1927 and 1929.
                      • Winning three consecutive national titles with Henry’s Clothiers of Wichita from 1930 to 1932.
                      • Attending 10 AAU championship tournaments during his career.
                      These accomplishments have set a high standard for future athletes and have brought great pride to our institution. Retiring Ross McBurney’s jersey would not only honor his legacy but also inspire current and future athletes to strive for excellence. It would be a fitting tribute to a player who has given so much to Wichita State University.

Thank you for considering this request. I am confident that recognizing Ross McBurney in this manner would be a meaningful and well-deserved honor. I look forward to your positive response.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]

Feel free to customize this letter further if needed. Let me know if there’s anything else you’d like to add or change!​
                      That's awesome!

I don't see any necessary changes; it's well written. Maybe someone else can chime in with changes or recommendations. Once you have additional feedback, I'd recommend sending it ASAP with hopes of retiring Ross McBurney's jersey sometime this season. I know Saal's had a lot on his plate; he might not be aware of McBurney's accomplishments.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

That's awesome!

I don't see any necessary changes; it's well written. Maybe someone else can chime in with changes or recommendations. Once you have additional feedback, I'd recommend sending it ASAP with hopes of retiring Ross McBurney's jersey sometime this season. I know Saal's had a lot on his plate; he might not be aware of McBurney's accomplishments.
                        We need some kind of social media/media push about Ross McBurney! We need someone put together some kind of Ken Burns style narrative video about "The Greatest Shocker You Never Heard Of"!
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Ross should absolutely be recognized. And WHEN we finally honor him, every effort needs to be made to track down as much of his family as possible to be there for it.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Cliff would be before Ron Baker. No slam on Baker, but facts are facts
                            Cleo Littleton would have to be considered as well.

Comment

I'm sick of Jake White not getting his due in these discussions. That kid is still standing under a basket somewhere, frozen like the Statue of David, covering his berries, and braced for impact. He won't get the call if and when it ever comes, but so what?. He's ready, and that's all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                I'm sick of Jake White not getting his due in these discussions. That kid is still standing under a basket somewhere, frozen like the Statue of David, covering his berries, and braced for impact. He won't get the call if and when it ever comes, but so what?. He's ready, and that's all that matters.
                                Jake White was planted in the lane when he was just a gleam in his father's eye, and still can't get the call!

I remember one game where I swear he was set, both feet firmly planted, had enough time to actually look around him, stare the oncoming ballhandler in the eye like a wild west shootout, and then...

block call.
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                                X