No announcement yet.

2024-25 - The WuOracle & Infallible Authority of Truth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me the simple thing would have been for Boatright to have handled the situation when it happened, not five years later.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
      To me the simple thing would have been for Boatright to have handled the situation when it happened, not five years later.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        It's not bad, but putting Harry Miller ahead of Eddie Fogler is criminal.
        Remember when fogler brought in Radunavich, Steve Grayer and J. Griffin? Me neither...

Remember the Vanilla Gorilla's that fogler did recruit? They didn't stand a chance in the Valley. And just who did recruit Gwaltney (maybe eddie gets a pass there)? But that shooting guard from Pennsylvania who was converted to the point was a fair player eh? Now that was criminal.

Cohen was left holding the bag, and WSU's reputation was returned to good standing. Thanks for the memories eddie...

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post

It would be tough for me to have either one on a top five. EF won with GS players and then bolted to Vanderbilt when his players could not compete at the same level. He bolted to South Carolina after the same trajectory at Vanderbilt. I always found it curious one reason he used to leave here was that Vanderbilt was such a distinguished academic university he felt he could not turn it down. Then several years later left for that academic powerhouse that is South Carolina.
          Eh. Clearly everyone knows this is a hill on which I will die. Yes, Eddie took a 14-14 team from Gene, retooled it, make Hank a player, developed Swain into a defensive stopper, added Joe Griffin and won in year 1 and went to the dance. Even though there was no NIL and transferring was far different than today, Eddie kept the team together and made them better. He then recruited 2 of best players in the program from say '84-04'. John Cooper and Paul Guffrovich start on every WSU team in that 20 year span. Every single one. And he went to the post season in their FR and SO seasons before leaving. Eddie had his shortcomings and flaws, and probably didn't fit in great here (although if you got to know him, he was a really good dude with a sharp sense of humor) at the time, but he was light years better at coaching than Harry Miller. I knew both men (admittedly at a very young age) and while they were about 10-15 years apart in their tenure at WSU, in reality, it was about 3 generations different and Eddie was 6 generations ahead of him.

Zero discussion on the best coach. ZERO.

At least at WSU, 2-3-4 are debatable. Ralph would be the clear favorite for 2. 3 and 4 are tougher. It's hard to see anyone then above Eddie. IB is in the next group, although who really cares at that point?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
            Or, at least he could have taken said players kind and generous departing words into account.

Comment

I think the Iowa 81 games HAS to be opn the list for two reasons:
              -without that win, there IS no Battle Of New Orleans win
              -i managed to sit in the wrong section for an entire half and wondered why my games partner would miss such an epic game....

and, oh, yeah...loudest arena ever that day...

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Remember when fogler brought in Radunavich, Steve Grayer and J. Griffin? Me neither...

Remember the Vanilla Gorilla's that fogler did recruit? They didn't stand a chance in the Valley. And just who did recruit Gwaltney (maybe eddie gets a pass there)? But that shooting guard from Pennsylvania who was converted to the point was a fair player eh? Now that was criminal.

Cohen was left holding the bag, and WSU's reputation was returned to good standing. Thanks for the memories eddie...

Wait, are you dissing Paul Guffrovich from Nanticoke, PA?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Why do people continually bring up "with Gene's players" like that's unheard of? I think it's pretty rare for a coach to be let go, players stay and the next coach is immediately better with the same guys. If they get better, it's usually in season 2 or beyond and/or the transitional players are gone, one way or the other. It's hardly Eddie's fault that players stayed. And he certainly gets credit (or should) for making them better (remember they were 14-14 the year before and pretty crappy to be honest) especially the immediate change in Hank's game and Dwaine Praylow.

Joe Griffin was a freshman Eddie's first season. Maybe Gene signed him, I don't know, but he was only coached by Eddie. And Joe was a handful. I assume Gene probably did recruit him based on that alone.

I get people don't like that Eddie left. But doesn't that say something? I also get that people didn't like his coaching style. They are wrong, but I do get it. His support of Mike Cohen to replace him was awful, no doubt about it. But that's how he was taught. NO ONE thinks Eddie is a better coach than Roy Williams. NO ONE. But Eddie had seniority at Carolina and was in line for a head coaching position first. Dean had great assistants. Eddie didn't, but he thought the same way.
                  Last edited by WuDrWu; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                    -i managed to sit in the wrong section for an entire half and wondered why my games partner would miss such an epic game....

Definitely, you sitting in the wrong section is absolutely reason to make the top 5.

Seriously though, good point. That was as close to the floor (I think I was around row 13 for Iowa, not my season tickets) as I ever sat until I started sitting on the floor in the early 90s. And it was more packed than any game I've attended at WSU and insanely loud. The roar that started around the 17 minute mark of the second half and never let up until the final buzzer was crazy. There have been few games to rival that for noise, the oft referenced 2004 SIU game being the most likely.

The down 23 timeout when Turg started chewing ass on the bench is one of my favorite memories, because of both the crowd reaction and subsequent team response (14-4 run to end the half, 15-0 run to start the 2nd half to take the first lead after trailing 11-0 to start the game).

PS Without going into details, did you get my text over the weekend regarding the person you were supposed to be sitting with at the Iowa game?
                    Last edited by WuDrWu; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Q: Who is the greatest sportswriter at the Wichita Eagle and how would you rank their contributions, in order, top to bottom?

A: Ranking the contributions of sports writers can be subjective and depends on various factors such as the depth of coverage, impact on the community, and personal style. However, based on their roles and recognition, here’s a general ranking:

1. Taylor Eldridge: Known for his comprehensive and detailed coverage of Wichita State athletics, Taylor has become a key figure in sports journalism at the Wichita Eagle. His in-depth reporting and analysis have made him a favorite among readers interested in Wichita State sports.

2. Kirk Seminoff: As the sports editor, Kirk has played a crucial role in shaping the sports section of the Wichita Eagle. His ability to balance reporting and editorial duties has significantly contributed to the quality and breadth of sports coverage.

3. Paul Suellentrop: Paul has provided valuable insights and perspectives on Wichita State’s athletics, contributing to the overall sports narrative at the Wichita Eagle. His work has been appreciated for its depth and understanding of the sports community.

Each of these writers has made unique and significant contributions to sports journalism at the Wichita Eagle. Their work collectively enhances the sports coverage and keeps the community informed and engaged.

Do you have a favorite article or piece by any of these writers?

Underview: This is likely to tick someone off who had a 42-year career at the Wichita Eagle & Beacon.
                      Last edited by WuShock Reaper; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Brother Dominic sponsored that tournament. Since I worked for that company and was certified on the copy machines used for the tournament, my manager gave me the tech duty because I was also a season ticket holder. Free press pass! I lived at Henry Levitt from about 8AM until close to midnight on game days and From 8-6 a few days prior and after the tournament, setting up and dismantling equipment. But my primary duty was to be there on site with my pager attached for emergencies, and got paid for all my time there.
                        During halftimes and between games I would be in the press copy room in case anything went wrong while they cranked out press releases and stats for distribution . But during games I could sit anywhere that I could find a spot. This Iowa game was so crowded that I mostly stood near the tunnel or set on the steps in an aisle. But that game is definitely one of my favorites and loudest of all time. Behind that game would have to be a couple of Tulsa games and a drake game.
                        Those were the days.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                          Q: Who were the absolute best players at Wichita State?

A: Here are the absolute best players in Wichita State men’s basketball history:

1. Xavier McDaniel: Known as “X-Man,” McDaniel was a dominant force from 1981 to 1985, leading the nation in both scoring and rebounding during his senior year.

2. Antoine Carr: “The Big Dog” played from 1979 to 1983 and was known for his versatility and rebounding skills.

3. Fred VanVleet: A key player from 2012 to 2016, VanVleet helped lead the Shockers to multiple NCAA tournament appearances and was instrumental in their success.

4. Dave Stallworth: “The Rave” played from 1961 to 1965 and was one of the most talented players in the program’s history, earning two-time All-American honors.

5. Ron Baker: From 2012 to 2016, Baker was known for his scoring ability and leadership on the court, playing a crucial role in the team’s achievements.

These players have left an indelible mark on Wichita State basketball with their outstanding performances and contributions. Do you have a favorite among them or any memorable moments you’d like to share?
                          1. X
                          2. Carr
                          3. Rave
                          4. Jabalí
                          5. Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post

1. X
                            2. Carr
                            3. Rave
                            4. Jabalí
                            5. Fred
                            You’re (Reaper) quibbling or disagreeing with Veritas regarding (Top 5 WSU player) Warren Jabari and Ron Baker. I can see a good argument for both. Both had AA status or mention. Ron played a year or two in the NBA, while Warren played as a star in the ABA.

While WJ was a star in the ABA, who knows what might have been had there been a secondary league (like the ABA) when Ron had his limited NBA success. Warren was a highly recruited high school player, while Ron wasn’t. However, Ron can’t be blamed for being an unknown from Scott City. He was a National talent who could have played anywhere. The WSU program during Ron’s tenure was more successful than Warren’s tenure. However, that can hardly be blamed on Warren who played out of position for his WSU years, and was immensely talented.

My conclusion is that both Ron Baker, and Warren Jabali are equally deserving of being the Fifth best Wichita State player, and I might add that cases could be made for Nate Bowman, Cleanthony Early, and Cleo Littleton, although, IMO, they are on the outside looking in.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

You’re (Reaper) quibbling or disagreeing with Veritas regarding (Top 5 WSU player) Warren Jabari and Ron Baker. I can see a good argument for both. Both had AA status or mention. Ron played a year or two in the NBA, while Warren played as a star in the ABA.

While WJ was a star in the ABA, who knows what might have been had there been a secondary league (like the ABA) when Ron had his limited NBA success. Warren was a highly recruited high school player, while Ron wasn’t. However, Ron can’t be blamed for being an unknown from Scott City. He was a National talent who could have played anywhere. The WSU program during Ron’s tenure was more successful than Warren’s tenure. However, that can hardly be blamed on Warren who played out of position for his WSU years, and was immensely talented.

My conclusion is that both Ron Baker, and Warren Jabali are equally deserving of being the Fifth best Wichita State player, and I might add that cases could be made for Nate Bowman, Cleanthony Early, and Cleo Littleton, although, IMO, they are on the outside looking in.
                              Yet, like it or not, we have had only one Consensus All-American in modern basketball history, Cleanthony Early. I seriously doubt any other jersey will go in the rafters unless Early's is one of them.

Comment

Ross McBurney
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X