Gorillas at Shockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
    Just imagine all the assembled parts when all hands are on deck healthy.
    I think I worry most about the injury problems, especially Lufile. Gotta get him healthy ASAP.

But this is the most talented team in the Valley (talented meaning athletic) by a long shot. And they are much farther along than I thought they were.

Comment

• Interesting that one of Pitt State's guys was Jake Bullard, a freshman from Vinita OK who got some attention on our recruiting thread for a while. Nothing against Jake, and I wish him well, but I think I'm glad the Shocks ended up with the newcomers they did.

Comment

• For those others who saw the game, how many of Jake's blocking fouls were very questionable? I thought at least 3. Twice, I saw him set up to take the charge, well in advance, and fully anticipated a charge before the contact. Those questionable calls aside, he had a very nice line in only 11 minutes...3-5 FG including 1-2 from 3, 3 rebounds, and 8 points while playing both the 4 and 5.

Not that concerned about Cle's 1-11. He probably shot too much, but a least a couple were in and rolled out. What I didn't expect was 8 rebounds (5 offensive) to go along with 2 steals, a block, an assist, and only 1 TO.

Whether they start or come off the bench, Baker and Wessel look solid on both ends of the court.

EO did some nice things, but at other times, looked like the EO of old. This game should have/ could have been his coming out party. Over all, I thought White played better which will have Hall at the 5 more. Against much better competition, I'm still not sure how much playing time he'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
          I think the biggest thing you can take from the game is that his teammates don't trust him enough to pass to him, and you saw why several times.
          I had a different read on the game when Orukpe was in. I saw the Offense running through the perimeter players. Orukpe draws defensive attention because no opponent wants the ball in his hands in a one-on-one without a help defender ready. That forces defenders to cheat into passing lanes and cheat a defender into help position down low. The Shox were taking advantage of that and running a passing game that either led to an open 3-ball or a pass to a front court player breaking (more or less unguarded) to the hoop.

Orukpe disrupts the opponents' offense - we've known that. He also disrupts the opponents' defense. That's not as obvious, but Wessel and Hall were scoring at will when Orukpe was in the game. Orukpe doesn't have to score a lot to be effective on offense. The moment a defense cuts off his opportunities to dunk - it opens up opportunities for others. The Baby hook is starting to fall.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I've thought all along WSU would be no worse than 2nd in league. That 2nd 1/2 was brutal and we still put up a 100. Its a good thing the team is very deep as there might be foul trbl early on.
            But I remember the desire not long ago for athletic 6' 7". We got it.
            Early drops a few shots & he's the next big thing.
            An ugly 100 is still 100. We got some dudes who can get after it & will compete.
            Phi Alpha

Comment

• Cold came over and sat with Señora Rio and me.

After watching quite a bit of the game, I asked Cold, if he was planning to write a retraction.

Cold replied, "No way."

Just thought this esteemed forum would like to know.
              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• I have one comment.

"Too many players and too few minutes."
                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• I would definitely like to agree to the fact that Wessel surprised me the most. I about fell out of my chair when I saw he was starting. But I fell out of my chair again when I saw him perform. That kid is all over the place! And Baker. What a stud. He didn't really surprise me as much just because I expected a lot out of him from all I've heard. I'm really excited about this team, fellas. As always, it's a great day to be a Shocker.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                    Cold came over and sat with Señora Rio and me.

After watching quite a bit of the game, I asked Cold, if he was planning to write a retraction.

Cold replied, "No way."

Just thought this esteemed forum would like to know.
                    I got your retraction right here Ricky....

:poster_eo::poster_eo::poster_eo::poster_eo::poste r_eo::poster_eo:

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Ehimen isn't a basketball player; he's an athlete; he proved that not all athletes are good basketball players. He should never be involved in our offensive gameplan.

Comment

• I don't get comparisons of Wessel to Hatch. Evan is w much better athlete. Dave Dahl commented something along the lines of "if Evan becomes half the player Hatch was he'd have a great career." Maybe you can turn that around to Evan working half as hard as Hatch, but Evan's upside is much higher.
                        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                          but some have mentioned averaging a double-double
                          Not even Cold said he would average a double double.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            Not even Cold said he would average a double double.
                            Then Cold doesn't fall into "some."
                            :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by PlaneShocker View Post
                              Ehimen isn't a basketball player; he's an athlete; he proved that not all athletes are good basketball players. He should never be involved in our offensive gameplan.
                              I wouldn't go that far even though I get criticized for the "negativity" when it comes to EO. He has a place in the offense, but not as a big offensive threat. Earlier Aargh mentioned EO as "not a liability on offense." He IS a liability on offense and always will be, but he sure is fun to watch when he is in the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                                I had a different read on the game when Orukpe was in. I saw the Offense running through the perimeter players. Orukpe draws defensive attention because no opponent wants the ball in his hands in a one-on-one without a help defender ready. That forces defenders to cheat into passing lanes and cheat a defender into help position down low. The Shox were taking advantage of that and running a passing game that either led to an open 3-ball or a pass to a front court player breaking (more or less unguarded) to the hoop.

Orukpe disrupts the opponents' offense - we've known that. He also disrupts the opponents' defense. That's not as obvious, but Wessel and Hall were scoring at will when Orukpe was in the game. Orukpe doesn't have to score a lot to be effective on offense. The moment a defense cuts off his opportunities to dunk - it opens up opportunities for others. The Baby hook is starting to fall.
                                I would temper your argument regarding no team wanting a one-on one w/out a help defender. Remember this was a DII school that EO was 5 to 6 inches taller than their biggest player. If EO doesn't show he's at least a consist threat down low, the DI teams who are only giving up 2 or 3 inches to him, are going to take that chance on the one-on-one match-up. Especially, if our perimeter continues to be as effective as they were last night.

Comment

Working...
                                X