Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISU game - Positives, Negatives, Observations

Positives

Mantas looks to be shooting with more confidence now. I'd just like to see some emotion from him.

Mekel is starting to develop into a servicable PG. His assist numbers and decision-making are improving. And to take care of the ball as well as he did with those jackrabbits guarding him is a testament.

While he had a few turnovers, Hatch continues to look more comfortable out there.

HCGM didn't sound totally deflated in the post-game show. And he brought up Richardson's slide across our logo after the previous game. I'm glad they took offense to that.

Negatives

Durley isn't showing any progress on defense or decision-making ability when he gets the ball.

PJ needs to realize that this is his only senior year and he needs to take charge of this team right now. I refuse to believe he cares so little that he won't regret it if he doesn't.

With Matt off the floor this team appears so unemotional. I hope our incoming class can bring some feeling to this team next year.

Other Observations

Aaron Ellis needs extended minutes. I don't think his confidence or his game is going to progress with spot minutes. Though I don't know where the minutes will come from unless PJ has more games like tonight.

Another positive is Ramon's consistience play.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotel Paper
      Good point. I guess he was just so workman-like tonight I didn't notice.

Comment

24 turnovers. :mad:
        "You can observe a lot just by watching."
        -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Hotel Paper
          While in constant pain no less...
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

Go Ramon! Go Gal! Both did pretty well.

What about Lance Harris? He played plenty scrappy tonight. Mantas looks comfortable taking 3's, and as has been said by others, Hatch is a nice offensive weapon. Hopefully he'll get better and better--after all, he is a freshman.

Negatives...
            Aaron Ellis' ball handling, Wendell (Boo Richardson ate his lunch tonight, but Boo didn't seem to shake Gal).

I think (speculation only) coach has finally come to some 'peace' in his mind about this team. Perhaps it's accepting it's limitations, perhaps he's finally realized that the Valley title is too far out of reach. I know that sounds crazy as bad as we've been playing, but from what I can gather about coach's personality, I think he believes he and his team can win it all because his teams HAVE won it all in their respective conference.

I just hope that he never gets truly 'comfortable' with this level of mediocrity, but I suspect that won't be a problem.

Comment

Wendell is a great guy, and I only want the best for him, but he needs to find a good DII school close to home.
              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
              -John Wooden

Comment

Ramon played a good game, fought hard under the basket. His offense putbacks were quicker and more effective. I would rather have Ramon anyday over Sampay.

I sure liked the Offensive spark that Lance provided tonight. Although, it didn't last long, Lance was trying to get things going.
                Good effort on his part.

We just don't hit our shots, especially at the beginning of the game. Guess the word is out that if you jump on Wichita out of the gate, they don't have the firepower to get back in it.

Phil just being 6'7" is starting to show.

Gris showed more life. Ellis needs to start tuning in.

As long as Hatch can give us 6-9 points a game.

Our defense has gotten worse the last couple of months. We are one of the worst passing teams in the conference, but the kicker is, we have been the last 3-4 years. Other teams are faster, crisper passers than us.

We are always trying to play catchup lately, and it is not working.

Comment

Say what you want but Gal was great tonight.

9 assists and 2 turnovers against that bunch....impressive.

Ramon is solid. Mantas is getting better.

Sure could use PJ and Phil.

Gregg said it early on before the season started.....we have to have great play from our 3 seniors to be successful.

Tonight we got ZERO from our Srs except Lance Harris.

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
                    Wendell is a great guy, and I only want the best for him, but he needs to find a good DII school close to home.

Yea. There are a lot of D-2 and D-3 schools in Texas that would love his help. Or maybe he should join Ryan Bradley at Newman for a year.
                    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                    -- Yogi Berra

Comment

#3 Lance Harris came to play. RC, MG, GM had good moments. We won't win many if PJ keeps getting in foul trouble. Hatch can stroke the 3 when he gets set and has an open look. PT was flat tonight. WP and AE are stuggling to find their niche on offense. Our team defense tonight was lacking. JT needs to really shore up his defense. GM sees the floor and made some very nice assists tonight. Illinois State has an impressive vetern squad and will make some noise this year.
                      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Wendell deserves to graduate from Wichita State.

If we can't have one Wendell Preadom who has stuck it out through thick and thin and has done everything asked of him and never caused a problem then I don't want to be a supporter of the program.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

thank you...i totally agree about wendell...he may not be great, but he has worked hard, been a blessing to the program, and deserves to finish here.

Comment

Lance Harris provided a great spark tonight. He needs more playing time. He brought just a taste of what Matt B. brought every game. We need that right now.

Hatch needs to shoot more. GM needs to set plays for him.

Ramon did a great job tonight. Coach told him to shoot quicker when he gets the ball. Showed flashes of the 41 point highlight game he had last year in juco.

Terrible passing - lazy passing. If this team would just attack more in their offense with faster movement, crisper passing, and higher energy, our shots would start falling with more consistency.

We did show improvement in our outside shooting tonight. Too bad the 24 turnovers got in the way...

:goshocks: :goshocks:
                            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I know I'm the guy that always come on here and complains about defense, but gawd are we awful on that side of the ball. There guards could simply waltz around a high screen and pop a wide open 3 pretty much when ever they wanted. No effort made to fight through a sreen, and no effort made buy the guy gaurding the sreener to switch out. Then there is the always useful and intelligent triple team of the post player 18 feet from the basket in the free throw circle, allowing him to have his choice of wide open wing men to get the ball to for wide open looks. It's just pathetically played and pathetically coached defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X