Scrimmage Against South Dakota State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    I don't believe .defense will be a huge problem for this team. It hasn't been a problem since Coach arrived, and there is little evidence it will be a problem this year.
    I do agree with this statement with this caveat. While I don't think that defense will ultimately be a problem for this team, I think that Marshall may have to work at getting his type of defense out of some of the newcomers. I think that his type of defense is "play like your hair is on fire". We may see starting lineups change and be altered until he gets his message out that you play this type of defense for all 40 minutes. There are several new Shocker players who have never had to turn it on because their talent was so great, they never had to play this type of defense for 40 minutes. Gregg is the type of coach to get his message across to them by sitting them if he has to. Therefore, the lineups that he wants to put out there may be a month or two off.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Ut oh. That's it, I quit. The season is over. Selling my season tickets. At half price. To Newman University students. :)
      Kung, I've never attended Newman, but I am Catholic, so if you're selling at half price I'm in.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
        Kung, I've never attended Newman, but I am Catholic, so if you're selling at half price I'm in.
        Hahaha
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

If Jake is ready to start at the 4, I feel good about this team.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
            If FV^2 continues to be unable to practice, what are the chances he redshirts?
            Probably slim to none, unless this is an extraordinarily challenging sprain. Think of it this way -- if a player the caliber of Van Vleet were under some sort of practice restriction but scheduled to become available at the semester, do you think there would be any question of redshirting? Or would the Shocks happily accept him for the remaining two-thirds or so of their schedule, which will include the entire Valley season?

One other thought: Van Vleet seems to be a very level-headed, solid kid, and we know Marshall isn't going to do anything desperate (nor does he need to, with guys like Armstead, Williams, Cotton, and even Baker available). So if it does seem best for the long haul, and Marshall for some reason decides to recommend redshirting, I have no doubt it would be the right choice -- and it seems quite possible that Van Vleet, perhaps learning from the experience of White and Wessel, would have the wisdom to accept the suggestion. But I'd be pretty surprised if it ever becomes a question for serious consideration (and by the way, feel free to remind of what I just said if it actually does).

Comment

South Dakota State is the overwhelming favorite to win the Summit League this year.

6'4" Sr. Guard Nate Wolters (21.2 PPG, 5.9 APG and 5.1 RPG and AP Honorable Mention AA as a Jr.) is the preseason POY in the Summit.

Here is a look at the Jack's 2012-13 roster FWIW: http://www.gojacks.com/SportSelect.d...PRINTABLE_PAGE=

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                South Dakota State is the overwhelming favorite to win the Summit League this year.

6'4" Sr. Guard Nate Wolters (21.2 PPG, 5.9 APG and 5.1 RPG and AP Honorable Mention AA as a Jr.) is the preseason POY in the Summit.

Here is a look at the Jack's 2012-13 roster FWIW: http://www.gojacks.com/SportSelect.d...PRINTABLE_PAGE=
                See what happens when you have a stud?

Comment

if we ran our offense through one guy and let him play 35+min a game, we'd have a guy putting up those numbers. I'll take the Marshall brand of bball over the Evansville or SDSU brand any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    if we ran our offense through one guy and let him play 35+min a game, we'd have a guy putting up those numbers. I'll take the Marshall brand of bball over the Evansville or SDSU brand any day.
                    Schools like Eville and SDSU run everything through one guy out of necessity. We don't need to do that.

This scrimmage went down just like ours did against K-State a few years ago. One team was physically and athletically overwhelming in every way with the smaller team keeping diligent score in hopes of providing some positive spin to the players.

HCGM knows how to teach defense, in fact many coaches know how to teach defense. Yesterday HCGM was interested in seeing some of the intangibles that impact how dangerous a team is offensively. I'm sure he was really happy with the offense. When the fans fill the seats, the defense will be there and the scoring margin will spread significantly.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Chances Van Vleet Redshirts??? - 0% ... unless serious injury knocks him out for entire 12-13 season
                      Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                        Schools like Eville and SDSU run everything through one guy out of necessity. We don't need to do that.

This scrimmage went down just like ours did against K-State a few years ago. One team was physically and athletically overwhelming in every way with the smaller team keeping diligent score in hopes of providing some positive spin to the players.

HCGM knows how to teach defense, in fact many coaches know how to teach defense. Yesterday HCGM was interested in seeing some of the intangibles that impact how dangerous a team is offensively. I'm sure he was really happy with the offense. When the fans fill the seats, the defense will be there and the scoring margin will spread significantly.

T

...:cool:

It's not likely you'll see a better understanding of what happened yesterday. I'm still not buying Cold's undefeated campaign, but I am starting to warm to it.

Comment

Comparing SDSU with Evansville and the way they run everything through their one "stud" seems to be exactly on target.

OTOH, being described by the opponent as big, physical and athletic doesn't exactly bother me for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                            Yeah, that's sort of the point. Teams with a stud rally around him and rise above their usual ability. Which is why you have been pining for a "lunker".

Comment

A little off topic but I heard Final Four bound sCUm lost their scrimmage to Iowa. That's gotta sting.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

That's not what Katz reported.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X