Scrimmage Against South Dakota State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Ut oh. That's it, I quit. The season is over. Selling my season tickets. At half price. To Newman University students. :)
    I was hoping the season would last a bit longer......
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Comment

Isn't part of the rules to having a scrimmage with another D-1 team is that score is not counted? As competitive as everyone is, I think the goal of the scrimmage was to evolve, not win.
      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Gumby View Post
        I was hoping the season would last a bit longer......
        Yeah, me too. But that's the way it goes. We'll just have to root for KU. You want to start the "Fire Marshall 2013" thread or should I?
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

This is probably as much info as we are gonna get. Interesting that there wasn't a ton of defense...at least on our side. I am sure Marshall wants that corrected asap, unless he used the scrimmage just to focus on offense. Which I find that very hard to believe.
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Scrimmages and exhibitions aren't about winning. You're right on that. Especially the way Marshall mixes lineups in and out. There were sometimes in regular season games where he'd drop our starters with 10 minutes left and watch our big lead close quickly and the score would look misleading. It's still a bit of a killjoy to say you "lost" to South Dakota State in anything, but like others mentioned, I'm sure winning an exhibition is pretty low on Marshall's list. He doesn't need to play guys 35 minutes in an exhibition game like Evansville did with Colt "I like to pour it on late" Ryan. I mean seriously, 35 minutes in an exhibition game? He didn't come out until there was about a minute left either in their 20 point win over a DII school.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
              http://blogs.kansas.com/shockwaves/2...all-scrimmage/

This is probably as much info as we are gonna get. Interesting that there wasn't a ton of defense...at least on our side. I am sure Marshall wants that corrected asap, unless he used the scrimmage just to focus on offense. Which I find that very hard to believe.
              In a scrimmage situation it is really difficult to know what the coaches wanted to work on and what the two coaches agreed to in terms of structure. Sounds like it was a good workout for both sides and just one more step closer to the start of the season. I guess the fact that the Shocks showed some good offense is a positive in that most observers have been saying we will be good defensively, but it may take us a while to figure out how we are going to score.

One thing we do know with 3G is that if we have some players not willing to play hard on defense then those players will probably enjoy a sideline view of the games.

I like that 3G plays these scrimmages in lieu of another D-II exhibition. Especially with this team. Gives them a much better idea of what they will be up against once the real games begin. Hopefully, it was a great learning experience for the Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                Isn't part of the rules to having a scrimmage with another D-1 team is that score is not counted? As competitive as everyone is, I think the goal of the scrimmage was to evolve, not win.
                I'm thinking that the silly NCAA rules allow the score to be kept, but neither the score nor game stats are supposed to be disclosed to the public or the media (although I'm not sure there is technically any defined penalty for doing so...)

As to your second sentence, I agree completely.

Comment

I don't believe defense will be a huge problem for this team. It hasn't been a problem since Coach arrived, and there is little evidence it will be a problem this year.

Look at it this way.....SDSU finished last season 27 spots ahead of UNI and essentially lost the same thing UNI lost...a 4 year guard. Everyone else is back.

SDSU was better than UNI last year, and comparable this season, and lest you worry about outcomes, the home team was the superior team in this scrimmage, without a doubt.

The questions we face are cohesiveness and offense. The defense will be fine.

Pop quiz: The number of times in Gregg's 5 seasons at WSU that UNI has finished ahead of WSU in defensive efficiency, the best matrix for defining how good you are defensively?

Anyone that thinks UNI is going to be superior to WSU this season is A)delusional B)Wears Valley gear Exclusively C)Teaches D)Hates WSU E)Hopeful F)All of the above.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                    http://blogs.kansas.com/shockwaves/2...all-scrimmage/

I am guessing that the newcomers got exposed on defense. Those that want minutes will get better quickly.
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Where has it been said that we lost in the scrimmage

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum View Post
                        I'm thinking that the silly NCAA rules allow the score to be kept, but neither the score nor game stats are supposed to be disclosed to the public or the media (although I'm not sure there is technically any defined penalty for doing so...)

As to your second sentence, I agree completely.
                        No official score can be kept but either school can keep a score/stats for their own use.

Comment

Originally posted by wushock View Post
                          Where has it been said that we lost in the scrimmage
                          On the SDSU board, a poster said one of their players tweeted they won.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

I say we cancel this series of scrimmages if we can't be assured of a win. Isn't that what the "Majors" would do?
                            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

If White continues to shoot well and can defend the four, we will be in really good shape at the PF position.

If Early "gets it" offensively and defensively at the three, we will be special.

Not sure who will get the minutes on this year's team, but I know Armstead, Cotton, Williams, and Hall are ready to go. Wiggins, Baker, Wessel, VanVleet, Lufile and Orukpe all have a chance to be solid contributors to very good this year.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

If FV^2 continues to be unable to practice, what are the chances he redshirts?
                                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Working...
                                X