Scrimmage Against South Dakota State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrimmage Against South Dakota State

Permanently borrowed from Sully and Shockwaves: http://blogs.kansas.com/shockwaves/

Wichita State landed an interesting opponent for its men’s basketball scrimmage on Oct. 28 at Koch Arena. The Shockers will practice against South Dakota State, an NCAA Tournament team in 2012 with star power in guard Nate Wolters.

Wolters averaged 21.1 points and 5.9 assists as a junior and is regarded as a potential NBA Draft pick. Unfortunately, the scrimmages are closed to the public and media. We will have to rely on second-hand descriptions of Wolters and how he matches up with the Shockers. It would certainly be interesting to watch. It’s too bad this isn’t a regular-season matchup in Koch Arena.

Besides Wolters, the Jackrabbits return three starters from a team that went 27-8 and lost to Baylor (68-60) in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. They won at Washington (92-73) with Wolters scoring 34 points and handing out seven assists without a turnover.

Read more here: http://blogs.kansas.com/shockwaves/#storylink=cpy

Not everyone is regarded as "the public".

Comment

Can someone sneak in, video it all, and then post it here?

Please and thank you.

Comment

A strength we have is our guards and the depth to boot. Just how good will our D. be as a team? Can we lock down on players like Wolters, Colt Ryan, Carmichael, and McDermott, or the rest of their players instead? I think better than advertised. Do we have some serious quality depth at all positions? Yes, we do. However, when will it all come together? That remains to be seen. Stay tuned.
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

I personally am VERY glad to have a quality opponent to cut our teeth against. Much better than having VCU be the first good team our unproven squad faces.

Comment

'Sounds like a worthwhile scrimmage, actually.

Comment

This year's team looks like one of the better defensive teams we've seen in a long time - that includes some of the SIU teams back in the day. Unlike the SIU teams, this team looks like a solid scoring team off of the D with an uptempo transition game. The transition game should avoid the yawner "first team to 40" games that SIU played.

Hall has been working on his O, so I'll give him shooting range to 6'. Orukpe will get dunks and might hit 50% of his baby hooks. Wiggins and Early both have handles and slashing/driving ability. Williams/Tekele can hit some from distance and both have the ability and quickness to drive to the hoop.

Without any established 3-poiont shooters, it's going to be picks, screens, and drives that provide the offense. That isn't what we've seen from Marshall's teams. In fact, that seems to be one of the weaker areas of Marshall's teams. This year we find out if that's on Marshall or the players. This year there are going to be 3 guys on the floor about every minute who can drive to the hoop. If there are 2 guys on the court who can screen - that's where WSU's offense comes from.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Anybody on the squad playing the x factor or being the x factors this year guys? (Imo wessel,mitchell, and white are going to contribute).

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  Without any established 3-poiont shooters, it's going to be picks, screens, and drives that provide the offense. That isn't what we've seen from Marshall's teams.
                  I don't know about you, but I see Ron Baker being an established 3-pt shooter. Yes he's new, but I think we all know very well that he can make it rain.

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                    Anybody on the squad playing the x factor or being the x factors this year guys? (Imo wessel,mitchell, and white are going to contribute).
                    IMHO Ron Baker will be an X factor type player that teams don't see coming. Also, with the limited playing time that FVV will see early on, he could turn into an X factor by conference time.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                    Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                      Our whole team is the epitome of X factor. Nobody knows how dangerous we will be. Or not.

We're like a pantry full of seriously awesome ingredients, but are we the RIGHT ingredients for the chosen dish? Are the fruits and veggies ripe? Has the meat matured? Do we have all the right seasonings or are we just a bland dish? Hopefully we dont have too many fruits (not that theres anything wrong with that). Frankly I'm starving.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

We're like a pantry full of seriously awesome ingredients, but are we the RIGHT ingredients for the chosen dish? Are the fruits and veggies ripe? Has the meat matured? Do we have all the right seasonings or are we just a bland dish? Hopefully we dont have too many fruits (not that theres anything wrong with that). Frankly I'm starving.
                        Chef Marshall has cooked up some pretty tasty dishes the last few years, hopefully he has some good ideas for the recipe book this year too

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan34 View Post
                          Chef Marshall has cooked up some pretty tasty dishes the last few years, hopefully he has some good ideas for the recipe book this year too
                          That's what I'm talkin' about!
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Bumping for relevancy.

Any news on how today's scrimmage goes from those in the know will be appreciated.

Comment

Two teams on the court, 5 at a time. Round ball thrown through a hoop. Coaches blowing whistles and stopping play.

There was domination beyond what you would expect. The women's "practice team" was brought in to allow SD to get some success.

Comment

Working...
                              X