Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
    Well, if Charles Koch wants to throw a hissy fit and take his ball home because of us getting rid of a physically and verbally abusive coach why don’t we snatch his damn name off the arena and give it to someone who actually has some morality. No one man is bigger than the program.
    that's a bit harsh

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

is that more than they were paying players before?
      That explains our Fedexrates.

Time to make a call.

Comment

• I'm left to wonder if Saal and to a lesser extent Muma have made progress in forging meaningful relationships with the movers and shakers. Or is 5k/500 the core plan?

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
          I'm left to wonder if Saal and to a lesser extent Muma have made progress in forging meaningful relationships with the movers and shakers. Or is 5k/500 the core plan?
          Been reported that we had 350K ish for MBB with no meaningful grassroots campaign last year. Taylor E says we will have “significantly” more this year. That money is coming from somewhere. Certainly isn’t Memphis FedEx money. But someone / some businesses donated it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Been reported that we had 350K ish for MBB with no meaningful grassroots campaign last year. Taylor E says we will have “significantly” more this year. That money is coming from somewhere. Certainly isn’t Memphis FedEx money. But someone / some businesses donated it.
            Given how quiet the current regime is about absolutely everything, wouldn’t surprise me if we did have more than public known

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post

Given how quiet the current regime is about absolutely everything, wouldn’t surprise me if we did have more than public known
              Probably the only way we will know is if we start landed coveted transfers.

Comment

Taylor speculated maybe double last year’s amount? I would hope with some extra from the 5,000 for 500, along with a whole extra year of fundraising, we are close to 500-600K? They have said good goal is just south of 1 million.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Taylor speculated maybe double last year’s amount? I would hope with some extra from the 5,000 for 500, along with a whole extra year of fundraising, we are close to 500-600K? They have said good goal is just south of 1 million.
                  I can tell you 1mil is not enough, when comparing against those mid or lower pack of power 5 or even the top AAC programs. It’s absolutely not enough.

Comment

• My dumb comment of the day:

If some of these kids truly don’t care about getting a degree, can we just move those SASO dollars into the NIL pool?

Comment

• Memphis gonna be playing in the big leagues soon.
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                        Memphis gonna be playing in the big leagues soon.
                        Yea, they are really setting themselves up well for any additional expansion. Lots of plans with the money to back it up

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                          My dumb comment of the day:

If some of these kids truly don’t care about getting a degree, can we just move those SASO dollars into the NIL pool?
                          That would make it a lot simpler obviously. I'm sure it's a complicated process to do that.

And if schools had issues with graduation rates before, I can't imagine how those rates have fallen in just the last year alone.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                            Memphis gonna be playing in the big leagues soon.
                            They’re dominating the AAC and NCAA tournaments so well. I can see why they’re too big for their britches.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I can tell you 1mil is not enough, when comparing against those mid or lower pack of power 5 or even the top AAC programs. It’s absolutely not enough.
                              You may be right. But I have missed where everyone is being 100% transparent about how much NIL money each school has. Hard to know what is enough and what isn't.

All I see everywhere is people speculating and rumors.

Has anything been published that we know is 100% accurate? Serious question. Would love to see it for myself.
                              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• I think what needs to happen is to provided 2 pathways for kids coming out of high school. A kid can opt for the new professional athletic pathway or the student athlete amateur pathway. Most likely this will only be viable for football and men's basketball but any sport is free to develop a professional pathway if they think that is viable.

The professional pathway would consist of clubs formed by any private individual or group and the clubs would form an association to govern the activities of that pathway. There would be no academic requirements for this pathway although any of these athletes are free to pursue any educational opportunities of their choice on their own dime and time. Maybe the NFL and NBA will want to provide sponsorship and guidance for the professional pathway clubs. This would be totally separate from and independent of the NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA. Basically do what you want with what you got and what you get. Athletes can get all the NIL endorsement money the market will bear in addition to any salary they can command. After all they are professionals. Don't go away mad, just go away.

The student athlete academic pathway would continue to be associated with Colleges and Universities and governed by the NCAA. NAIA and the NJCAA. I would propose that the amount of financial aid allowed for each student would be capped at a flat amount that would apply would apply across the board to all member institutions plus allow for the continuing use of the Alston Academic achievement awards which should reward above average achievement and not just scraping by. Athletes would agree in writing not to accept any NIL funds from any sources until after they graduate or leave school. These amounts could be adjusted annually based on the CPI rate of increase. Each member institution has total autonomy and discretion an how much of the maximum funds allowed for each sport they actually want to award. They just cannot exceed the maximum. Perhaps cap the amount of salaries payable to coaching staffs at a multiple of or percentage of the maximum funding allowed for that sport.

Once an athlete has signed a contract with one of the professional pathway clubs he no longer is eligible to participate in the student athlete pathway. However, an athlete in the student athlete pathway can always elect to transfer at the end of any school year to the professional pathway.

The governing bodies of the NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA will have to come up with formulas for sharing media revenues with the member institutions which would have to be approved by a vote of 60% of the member institutions. This could be on a sport by sport basis I suppose. For example, maybe 70% of the football revenue is divided equally among all football playing schools in a specific division and 30% divided equally among all members of that division. That could apply to each sport and division. Who knows maybe the media will only be interested in paying for the professional pathway media rights.

Member institutions of the academic pathways are free to solicit and raise funds from their fan bases to build and improve facilities and infrastructure.

Just some things i have been tossing around in my head. Something needs to give. If this it too messy just go to a purely professional pathway not tied to secondary education.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; 1 week ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X