Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Man....I am so glad I am not a NCAA coach. There is enough to balance and worry about. Let alone a player literally being able to transfer at any time and immediately play at their next school. Lol
    Seriously. So like… midway through the year can they transfer? What a load of bollocks

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
      Place your bets on who will be the first player to change jerseys at halftime. Here we go...
      If he still had eligibility....THE PROCESS....

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Man....I am so glad I am not a NCAA coach. There is enough to balance and worry about. Let alone a player literally being able to transfer at any time and immediately play at their next school. Lol
        I'm pretty sure the immediate eligibility just means not sitting out a year. What I saw a week or so ago when this was mentioned somewhere was that they weren't going to allow mid-season transfers. Maybe something changed, but I think we may be reading into the intent of the language incorrectly.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I'm pretty sure the immediate eligibility just means not sitting out a year. What I saw a week or so ago when this was mentioned somewhere was that they weren't going to allow mid-season transfers. Maybe something changed, but I think we may be reading into the intent of the language incorrectly.
          Hope you are correct.
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Probably lots of transfers of the best players on non tournament type of teams 2-3 weeks before tournament selection time. QB will be a prime target. All this will lessen the chances for mid majors as their stars jump ship to a tournament team that needs them. Just like pro sports.

Comment

• “In good standing with their current school”? What does that mean? Can we take away their academic support and just make sure they’re not in good standing? How can the NCAA keep them from playing if they don’t make grades? You can’t keep a kid from earning a living.

Comment

• If a player leaves mid-semester, they can't possibly be eligible at their previous school. they may have BEEN eligible, but if they aren't finishing classes, they can't be "eligible" with a fistful of Incompletes. It seems that would make them immediately ineligible at their previous school.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                  Probably lots of transfers of the best players on non tournament type of teams 2-3 weeks before tournament selection time. QB will be a prime target. All this will lessen the chances for mid majors as their stars jump ship to a tournament team that needs them. Just like pro sports.
                  Get what you're saying, but it's unlikely schools will admit athletes 4-6 weeks after the spring semester has started. As stated, SA's are still required to be academically eligible & in good standing. The mid-season transfer (between semesters) will be the next challenge. Hoping the NCAA puts it to rest by clarifying SA's will only be eligible to compete for one team during a calendar season.

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post

Get what you're saying, but it's unlikely schools will admit athletes 4-6 weeks after the spring semester has started. As stated, SA's are still required to be academically eligible & in good standing. The mid-season transfer (between semesters) will be the next challenge. Hoping the NCAA puts it to rest by clarifying SA's will only be eligible to compete for one team during a calendar season.
                    Meh. There's no sense getting all picky about academic standing. That is old news. Soon these guys won't need to attend class at all. It's coming.

Comment

• These proposed new rules have to do with immediate eligibility but as far as I know players still are and will be required to go through the transfer portal. The window for entering the men's basketball this year is from March 18, 2024 through May 1, 2024. So how would that impact this equation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

Meh. There's no sense getting all picky about academic standing. That is old news. Soon these guys won't need to attend class at all. It's coming.
                        no doubt

Comment

• Drumroll….1719 as of 6 pm.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                            Probably lots of transfers of the best players on non tournament type of teams 2-3 weeks before tournament selection time. QB will be a prime target. All this will lessen the chances for mid majors as their stars jump ship to a tournament team that needs them. Just like pro sports.
                            I don't think anyone could enroll at a new school like that. But they will probably change that too.

Comment

• I actually like the clarification. It would have prevented the Tomlin situation…
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
                                I think further change is still coming. The old Big 10 and SEC commissioners have met and are committed to a super conference. They also want to pay players a minimum of $35,0000 a year. They also want NIL to be a part of the university and not separate.

You might want things to go backward, but I am not sure that is possible now.

I am not sure the last time something changed and then went back to the old way of doing it.
                                A few months ago I spoke of an article that quoted the president of the ncaa as saying he had several proposals.
                                A super division that would be comprised of schools willing to fund at least half of the scholarship players at the school $30,000.
                                Nil would be handled by the Universities
                                Increased opportunities for academic achievment for the student athletes.
                                So it seems very similar to what the big and sec are talking about. As far as the last proposal by the ncaa president have no idea how many more or what opportunities could exist that dont' esist now.

Comment

Working...
                                X