Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I totally agree. The genie isn't going back into the bottle, and I'm no longer hoping for that. I pay attention to the Shockers as a college team more than any other team (but how much longer are they going to have them on ESPN+?).

However, it is now Minor League Athletics, and not school athletics, and I have no more incentive to attend games than I do the Wichita Wind Surge. I watch the USFL more than I do teams outside of WSU in college athletics. In 20-30 years, because of a lack of money, there could well be no more, or even less emphasis Shocker Track and Field, etc. I just have a feeling that in 30 years, the athletic business model will totally change, and the NCAA basketball tournament which was a "huge success" will become a "past" huge success (it will become no more than the NBA playoffs which are successful but the NCAA Tourn. has always dwarfed the NBA playoffs). People will begin to watch more gambling and video gaming on television (man is that exciting) than before and will totally alter their viewing priorities.

Colleges and Universities will become places where education and economic stimulus is the total priority again. I think that WSU (because of economic stimulus) will continue to be fine as will most Community Colleges. However, I can see change in the state college learning system delivery. While they are changing, they should maybe move high school athletics out of our schools and move them into a different model. That too would save a lot of money. But changes are coming imo.

Luckily, the NFL now goes from August to February (actually year round now), and MLB begins in April.
    Maybe this angle of this discussion needs its own thread. I too think an enormous sea change in college athletics is coming, just a matter of when. I understand what you are saying about high school athletics, but that could be quite a challenge. Not only are HS athletics very woven into a community's culture (especially in smaller towns), but the infrastructure is literally woven into the school structure. And if the model for HS athletics moved to being handled by a different entity, if said entity were still publicly funded, would it result in any actual savings?

Then what about all the other things schools do that fall under the "activities" umbrella? Do they remain part of the school structure or not? Some of the most expensive things to build in school buildings are athletic facilities and auditoriums.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

Maybe this angle of this discussion needs its own thread. I too think an enormous sea change in college athletics is coming, just a matter of when. I understand what you are saying about high school athletics, but that could be quite a challenge. Not only are HS athletics very woven into a community's culture (especially in smaller towns), but the infrastructure is literally woven into the school structure. And if the model for HS athletics moved to being handled by a different entity, if said entity were still publicly funded, would it result in any actual savings?
      Jay Bilas started this athletic fiasco, so this is a good thread for this discussion imo.

The P5 schools can fund high school athletics or any other model that helps them. Right now, parents are paying a lot of money to have their kids "specialize" in individual sports year round, and costs for playing sports are going up. Kids are playing multiple sports less than ever, and the elite kids aren't going to public high schools. Plus elite athletes (football players) are graduating from high school at semester and going to their colleges to begin football in the spring. High School athletics aren't what they used to be either.

Junior colleges are producing fewer college athletes less than they used to. All of college athletics are changing.

Comment

• At a certain point it just becomes bizarre that all this big money sports is still somehow attached to colleges and universities. A hundred years ago, it all started as an extra curricular. Now, it's just giant, billion dollar sports leagues that ostensibly have a requirement where its players have to go to class and learn something too.
        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• It’s all about get rich now and the present with this crap and really society in general. The vast majority of athletes, even the big schools, will not be making a serious income with their basketball careers. They don’t know it, but having a degree as a fallback is a lot more valuable. I mean players are still representing their schools right? So yes they’re still should be tie-ins to the educational aspect.

I just don’t know how long this model can sustain itself. Is $300,000 for a player for 1 year really a worthwhile “investment?” I dunno. Maybe I’m just naive to how much money is on the table for a lot of these schools. At the rate we’re going, you would think a bubble will eventually burst.

It’s all so sad. **** Jay Bilas.
          Last edited by ShockerFever; 2 weeks ago.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I think further change is still coming. The old Big 10 and SEC commissioners have met and are committed to a super conference. They also want to pay players a minimum of $35,0000 a year. They also want NIL to be a part of the university and not separate.

You might want things to go backward, but I am not sure that is possible now.

I am not sure the last time something changed and then went back to the old way of doing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
              I think further change is still coming. The old Big 10 and SEC commissioners have met and are committed to a super conference. They also want to pay players a minimum of $35,0000 a year. They also want NIL to be a part of the university and not separate.

You might want things to go backward, but I am not sure that is possible now.

I am not sure the last time something changed and then went back to the old way of doing it.
              There are both good and bad to the bolded proposal. One of the things that bugged me about NIL is it really didn't solve the core problem that everyone was fighting. Players saw the schools raking in millions upon millions. Paying coaches 75 million to not coach anymore. Just throwing money around from all the income sources they get, but the players got nothing from it. In the current NIL landscape .. the players still don't get a cut of what the schools earn. They are just going back to the fans to try to fund more money into the system. If NIL is part of the school, then at least the players are getting a cut from the schools earnings not just begging fans for more. The downside, is that without other controls, it will just keep growing the gaps between the haves and have nots. The big schools can funnel more TV money into NIL than smaller schools.

The only real way to solve this semi-pro problem now is to fully go to the pro model. Equal revenue sharing, collective bargaining, "salary" caps, contracts etc etc. At least for the big money making sports, then spin off the other ones into a different model.

Comment

• will never be salary caps

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

There are both good and bad to the bolded proposal. One of the things that bugged me about NIL is it really didn't solve the core problem that everyone was fighting. Players saw the schools raking in millions upon millions. Paying coaches 75 million to not coach anymore. Just throwing money around from all the income sources they get, but the players got nothing from it. In the current NIL landscape .. the players still don't get a cut of what the schools earn. They are just going back to the fans to try to fund more money into the system. If NIL is part of the school, then at least the players are getting a cut from the schools earnings not just begging fans for more. The downside, is that without other controls, it will just keep growing the gaps between the haves and have nots. The big schools can funnel more TV money into NIL than smaller schools.

The only real way to solve this semi-pro problem now is to fully go to the pro model. Equal revenue sharing, collective bargaining, "salary" caps, contracts etc etc. At least for the big money making sports, then spin off the other ones into a different model.
                  Sorry. In bad humor, recovery not what I want, infection in my leg from where they took the donor vessels, blah blah, blah

Comment

• Whelp .... changes are now permanent

Comment

Whelp .... changes are now permanent
                      Place your bets on who will be the first player to change jerseys at halftime. Here we go...
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Just think about how many different looks Memphis is going to have during one season. Possibly 8 to 10 different starting lineups.

Comment

• While we're at it, I would like them to take a look at an unfair rule. Why does a kid have to sit with 5 fouls. If he is playing so hard and wants to win so badly that he keeps fouling folks, why should he have to sit out the rest of the game. I really believe there shouldn't be a limit on fouls in one game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                            While we're at it, I would like them to take a look at an unfair rule. Why does a kid have to sit with 5 fouls. If he is playing so hard and wants to win so badly that he keeps fouling folks, why should he have to sit out the rest of the game. I really believe there shouldn't be a limit on fouls in one game.
                            Games would last all day and night if there was no limit on fouls cause players would foul all day and night turning the game into a free throw contest. But why not? Just another rule change they could put out there to piss off fans. Might as well implement that one as well at this point.
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

Games would last all day and night if there was no limit on fouls cause players would foul all day and night turning the game into a free throw contest.
                              image.png
                              Attached Files

Comment

Whelp .... changes are now permanent
                                Man....I am so glad I am not a NCAA coach. There is enough to balance and worry about. Let alone a player literally being able to transfer at any time and immediately play at their next school. Lol
                                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X