Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

what's the argument for?
    It's what athletics departments and coaches would prefer compared to the current, uncontrolled system. Wage transparency usually puts upward pressure on earnings as well.

Comment

• KU wants it? Duke? UNC?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        KU wants it? Duke? UNC?
        I mean they'd still have the most money, so yeah? Probably a lot fewer headaches managing NIL operations in one place.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

We don't have much to offer at all right now. I have zero issues with Rogers leaving. We're not set up to be dancing right away, at least on the surface. But the point I had was he appeared to have opportunities to go play meaningful games at some really good programs who could make some deep runs next year. With that, he may have had to play a role he wasn't happy with. I'm on record as believing that on one of those top teams he would be nothing more than a spot up shooter. You can get good minutes doing that and still score your points, but maybe having more freedom and being on a less successful team is more appealing to him.

Personally, I'd rather be a contributor with a role on a good team rather than having more freedom to do what I want on a dysfunctional team with no real post-season expectations.
          Agree totally.

And, having seen him play, I think "spot up shooter" is a role that would have the highest likelihood of earning him a bag after school. Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative and all.

If he really is getting a big bag at Memphis, then fine. Someone there has been wasting money for the last several seasons and will get tired of wasting it soon.
          The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
            I think very soon we will see NIL routed through the universities directly and the NCAA requiring all payouts be made public.
            Would only apply to public universities, but that may be enough to somewhat regulate the industry.

I think I said this way up above somewhere, but the biggest changes that will happen to NIL are (1) payouts being made public, and (2) the novelty wearing off and NIL donations decreasing.

Another big change is if congress passes an antitrust exception for the NCAA. The current free transfer atmosphere is merely the courts determining, based on the lawsuits brought before them, that the Sherman Antitrust Act applies to transfers. Anti-transfer rules are essentially a bunch of organizations colluding against a player, and the courts determined that this collusion violates federal law. But congress can carve out an exception the same way that it passed the Sherman Act in the first place. I believe congress already did this with MLB.
            The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• 2 cookie cakes are better than 1

Comment

• 1653 as of 5 pm. We will see coaching change transfers as well as those recruited over then next couple of days. There were some fairly big names that popped up today.

Comment

• Does anyone have Jestin Porter on our radar?

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                    Does anyone have Jestin Porter on our radar?
                    Not sure his numbers at Middle Tennessee is much different than Xavier Bell's at Drexel.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                      Does anyone have Jestin Porter on our radar?
                      Interesting… RCIV look-alike; probably the hair.

This little tidbit caught my attention…

“Porter set a program and CUSA record by going 8-for-8 from 3-point range against UTEP on Feb. 17. His 41-point output in the win is tied for the third-highest scoring total in program history.“

Jestin Porter (3) G - 2023-24 (Junior): Second Team All-Conference USA selection... Named All-CUSA Tournament... NABC Second Team All-District... Two-time CUSA
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Looks like RCIVs twin

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Not sure his numbers at Middle Tennessee is much different than Xavier Bell's at Drexel.
                          Yea .. 6'1 guard that shoots 33% from 3 .. with a A/TO less than 1 in a lower level league. Not really seeing what need he fits? Feels like we already have enough guards that can't shoot 3s and turn the ball over (he has a lower A/TO ratio than Bell ...)

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

Would only apply to public universities, but that may be enough to somewhat regulate the industry.

I think I said this way up above somewhere, but the biggest changes that will happen to NIL are (1) payouts being made public, and (2) the novelty wearing off and NIL donations decreasing.

Another big change is if congress passes an antitrust exception for the NCAA. The current free transfer atmosphere is merely the courts determining, based on the lawsuits brought before them, that the Sherman Antitrust Act applies to transfers. Anti-transfer rules are essentially a bunch of organizations colluding against a player, and the courts determined that this collusion violates federal law. But congress can carve out an exception the same way that it passed the Sherman Act in the first place. I believe congress already did this with MLB.
                            Fans want to know the size of NIL to see how far their donations are going. Players want to know the size of NIL for comparison reasons. ADs at small schools want to know the size of NIL for competitve reasons. Media wants to know for obvious reasons..

But do the coaches, ADs and boosters at the bourgeoisie schools want that out there? They are the ruling class after all.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I don't know anything about this guy, but at a glance it looks like a pretty interesting stretch 4.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCount View Post
                                I don't know anything about this guy, but at a glance it looks like a pretty interesting stretch 4.

This is the type of guy we need to back up Ballard.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X