Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    There are lots of people to blame for where college athletics is today, but I don't think (at least not in my mind) that you can blame kids for the chance at what could be generational wealth. I don't have ANY idea how wealthy his family is, but Colby is unlikely to find pro basketball a cash cow for his skills. Overseas, in tough places to live with minimal living conditions making $150k is probably his ceiling. If he can get, idk, $300-400K for his last season in college....who among us would turn that down?

This is to say nothing of how he will spend it. He seems like a sharp young man and there's no reason to think he won't sock away most if not all for retirement or a business opportunity sometime down the road.

It's just silly to blame the kids in my mind. I'd have taken the bag in exactly ZERO seconds. And I suspect if you're being intellectually honest, you would too.
    Many would. Some still actually care about winning meaningful games though too.

Just like in my normal, boring life, I will take less money to be in a good place for me than to chase more money and not enjoy what I do. There's balance in all things, and if I had the opportunity to make some respectfully decent money to play for a contender or to take more money to play for a team that won't play in March Madness, I'm taking less for the chance to play in meaningful games that could be some of the best memories I'll ever have.

But I've always been an outlier when it comes to saving money and prioritizing my mental health and enjoyment over extra cash.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

There are lots of people to blame for where college athletics is today, but I don't think (at least not in my mind) that you can blame kids for the chance at what could be generational wealth. I don't have ANY idea how wealthy his family is, but Colby is unlikely to find pro basketball a cash cow for his skills. Overseas, in tough places to live with minimal living conditions making $150k is probably his ceiling. If he can get, idk, $300-400K for his last season in college....who among us would turn that down?

This is to say nothing of how he will spend it. He seems like a sharp young man and there's no reason to think he won't sock away most if not all for retirement or a business opportunity sometime down the road.

It's just silly to blame the kids in my mind. I'd have taken the bag in exactly ZERO seconds. And I suspect if you're being intellectually honest, you would too.
      In a sense, I chased a "bag" coming out of high school. Why did I end up at WSU? Simple. They gave me the best scholarship package, and it wasn't even close. So I don't blame these guys and girls for seeking the payday, especially when as Doc states, it might well be generational wealth.

I will still follow men's BB of course even knowing how transient it might be, but I'm hoping that we see players stick around more and develop in the other sports. A 4-5 year player may be a rarity, but hopefully we can get more volleyball, softball, baseball, and women's basketball players to stick around for awhile.
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
        I have no issues with Colby-Rogers-Jones going to Memphis. The "fault" (if there's blame to be laid) is on Penny and "the system." At that young age, who wouldn't be tempted by the dollar?

I can't help but wonder what other players on Memphis think of this. I mean, say player #1 is getting $25k per year (and I have no idea what the numbers might be). Player #2 shows up and possibly gets more than $25k? So would Player #1 immediately want a bump in pay or does he threaten to transfer again. I can picture Player #1 transferring back to the original school or to a completely different school. Just awkward.

I think if you do this, the only real way to keep everybody happy and playing as a team is to just offer a base amount to every player on the team. As soon as you single out one player, you run the risk of alienating teammates.
        Or just fully legalize pay for play and have a cap. The KUs of the world are already doing this, might as well get it in the open and require full disclosure. Maybe cap it at 100K per player per year. Some schools won't be able to pay this, some will. If players don't think 100k is enough, change the rules and let kids jump immediately to the NBA.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
          I have no issues with Colby-Rogers-Jones going to Memphis. The "fault" (if there's blame to be laid) is on Penny and "the system." At that young age, who wouldn't be tempted by the dollar?

I can't help but wonder what other players on Memphis think of this. I mean, say player #1 is getting $25k per year (and I have no idea what the numbers might be). Player #2 shows up and possibly gets more than $25k? So would Player #1 immediately want a bump in pay or does he threaten to transfer again. I can picture Player #1 transferring back to the original school or to a completely different school. Just awkward.

I think if you do this, the only real way to keep everybody happy and playing as a team is to just offer a base amount to every player on the team. As soon as you single out one player, you run the risk of alienating teammates.
          That’s assuming NIL is limited to what the university provides. Some of these players chasing $ might get salty at certain players getting endorsements vs others too. It’s just a nasty game overall. I do think players should get paid - too much flows because of them to not pay them fairly. But right now it’s a clusterf*** and there needs to be structure put in place. The only system to do so is villainized by everybody.

Comment

Too much sense to this post. We should always vilify a rival like Memphis and anything to do with them.
            Memphis sucks!!! CR used to be great but he joined forces with Darth Vader, so he sucks now as well!!!

Comment

Maybe - However he clearly had his camp leak that NIL was "not the motivating factor" behind him leaving. Or WSU leaked that.

That was clearly incorrect at best, and a flat out lie at worst.

Comment

• Makes us appreciate the decision Ballard made that much more. He could chase bags if he wanted to, or he could stay with the coach that developed him and see if he can get a bigger bag at the next level.
                Last edited by Dan; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post

All valid, but as a fan, I'm pissed as hell. The constant roster turnover is part of what's destroying college athletics. Part of being a fan is getting to know the players and watch them develop. Now, it's just glorified semi-pro basketball imo.
                  I completely agree, and it's one of several reasons you won't see my name on any NIL contributions.

Comment

I will also bite on this and throw out something Saal is constantly talking about with general roster construction -

I really do believe how Memphis is building its roster year after year is 1. Unsustainable and 2. Not good for Memphis basketball in the short or long term.

I fully buy into being "Transactional" as KS keeps putting it will not lead to a ton of success. IMO the perfect mix for us sees a few guys leave and we'll end up buying some guys too, but needing a core of 5-7 guys staying each year. Helps fan involvement and buy-in as well. And it is something that is perfectly achievable here.

Comment

I don't blame them, but also not going to cheer them on.

If my wife left me for Jeff Bezos .. I wouldn't blame her .. but i'm not going to be friends with her.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I don't blame them, but also not going to cheer them on.

If my wife left me for Jeff Bezos .. I wouldn't blame her .. but i'm not going to be friends with her.
                        Cuckold.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• What I don’t get is Memphis clearly has a very large pool of funds. Obviously enough money to blow most of the conference out of the water when it comes to buying talent. Is this money coming from Penny supporters? Memphis can clearly do so, so much better at the HC position. Why not spend another couple mil and get a real coach instead of blowing money to earn the privilege to decline NIT invites?

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Many would. Some still actually care about winning meaningful games though too.

Just like in my normal, boring life, I will take less money to be in a good place for me than to chase more money and not enjoy what I do. There's balance in all things, and if I had the opportunity to make some respectfully decent money to play for a contender or to take more money to play for a team that won't play in March Madness, I'm taking less for the chance to play in meaningful games that could be some of the best memories I'll ever have.

But I've always been an outlier when it comes to saving money and prioritizing my mental health and enjoyment over extra cash.
                            Problem is what do we really have to offer? Really, take of your yellow tinted glasses and try and look at it objectively.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

I’ve seen a lot of people say this. Have never seen it myself, but have never really looked. Can someone synopsize what his dad said and what his beef was last year?
                              Pops was part of FB fan pages and would often spar with fans during the games. I recall a late season game in which a fan simply posted "pass the ball" for which Mr Rogers took exception and engaged in a pissing match. The ironic thing is that Mark Adams was saying the exact same thing on the broadcast. That's just one of many episodes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Problem is what do we really have to offer? Really, take of your yellow tinted glasses and try and look at it objectively.
                                We don't have much to offer at all right now. I have zero issues with Rogers leaving. We're not set up to be dancing right away, at least on the surface. But the point I had was he appeared to have opportunities to go play meaningful games at some really good programs who could make some deep runs next year. With that, he may have had to play a role he wasn't happy with. I'm on record as believing that on one of those top teams he would be nothing more than a spot up shooter. You can get good minutes doing that and still score your points, but maybe having more freedom and being on a less successful team is more appealing to him.

Personally, I'd rather be a contributor with a role on a good team rather than having more freedom to do what I want on a dysfunctional team with no real post-season expectations.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X