Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m okay with Pohto going out. But color me majorly concerned if we don’t get major shooting gravity and a much better lead ball handler.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Pohto was a talented player and will do well somewhere where he can be the primary big. And that was the problem. Guys like Pohto would normally be getting a lion's share of the minutes. But he had a guy like Ballard in front of him, so there just weren't enough minutes to keep both of them happy. Pohto was almost always just behind Ballard in both offense and defense and/or the box score.

Ironically we need a backup at the 5 that's not as a good as Pohto so we aren't sacrificing so many of Ballard's minutes to make a slightly more marginal player happy. A new guy that doesn't have expectations of being "the man" and then end up being poison when his minutes are half of what they could be elsewhere.

We need to replace Pohto with a guy that can give us a solid 15 minutes per game, and doesn't expect more. Probably a young guy. Maybe a guy that can be a Ballard in the future, but is a JUCO transfer that doesn't have that 30 minute per game expectation coming in.

This is tricky business.
      and, ideally a center that can be a change of pace guy and stretch the floor a little bit. I always like it when the subs have different strengths and weaknesses vs the starters and it requires the other team to make changes to counter our moves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

and, ideally a center that can be a change of pace guy and stretch the floor a little bit. I always like it when the subs have different strengths and weaknesses vs the starters and it requires the other team to make changes to counter our moves.
        Yeah, that's true too. I'm all for a 3 headed monster like we had one year, but only if all three understand their role means they aren't getting 30 minutes per game. Pohto didn't like losing his minutes, that was obvious. And Ballard definitely earned more and honestly wasn't getting all he earned.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I'm 50/50 on that. Yes, he kept them, but the ones he "kept" from last year really didn't do anything noteworthy. They were bad most of the year with only Cortes and Beverly showing anything worthwhile, but only for a couple games of the year. Its easier to keep guys that aren't in demand. Mills went 50% on those this year by keeping Ballard but losing Rogers.
          The last few years it's been hard for us to keep ANYONE. I for one am looking forward to seeing a few familiar faces to start the year. At a minimum players were still going portal shopping before deciding what to do So this is an improvement seeing contributors feel good about their situation at WSU and want to stay. Guys get better the longer they play together and the older and more experienced they get. If Mills is a good coach these guys should be developing year over year. If the returners come out next year and no one has made any positive strides that would be very telling. However, if the team starts next year like the ended last year we will win a lot of these close games that didn't go our way. We have 4 new spots to fill which is plenty. If we get a couple upgrades and we have 5 returning contributors from last year (that have also improved) that's a recipe for a solid team.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
            I’m okay with Pohto going out. But color me majorly concerned if we don’t get major shooting gravity and a much better lead ball handler.
            Agreed, a true floor general that can also shoot would do wonders for us.

Comment

• Photo was our ONLY back to the basket player and Rogers our ONLY legit perimeter shooter. The offense has taken a significant hit. As of today my interest in college basketball and even our program continues to decline. I simply hate what the portal and NIL has done. Maybe a couple significant portal signings can restore my faith but I just don't think we are that attractive to impact players.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                Photo was our ONLY back to the basket player and Rogers our ONLY legit perimeter shooter. The offense has taken a significant hit. As of today my interest in college basketball and even our program continues to decline. I simply hate what the portal and NIL has done. Maybe a couple significant portal signings can restore my faith but I just don't think we are that attractive to impact players.
                I agree on on both .. but there are caveats. Roger was our only legit perimeter shooter and he was really good at it. He's a big loss IMO.

Pohto on the other hand, was the only back to the basket player .. but that doesn't mean he was a GOOD back to basket player. We just literally had no one else. He played well smaller than his size and while he had some moves that worked occasionally, his most common shot was a forced shot that tried to go through the defender that didn't not often go in.
                Last edited by Stickboy46; March 26, 2024, 03:20 PM.

Comment

• My point was we had two critical areas, back to the basket threat and three point threat, completely wiped out so now we are both weak on the perimeter and inside offensively.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I agree on on both .. but there are caveats. Roger was our only legit perimeter shooter and he was really good at it. He's a big loss IMO.

Pohto on the other had, was the only back to the basket player .. but that doesn't mean he was a GOOD back to basket player. We just literally had no one else. He played well smaller than his size and while he had some moves that worked occasionally, his most common shot was a forced shot that tried to go through the defender that didn't not often go in.
                    100% and a defensive liability. He could rebound on occasion, but was scored on regularly.

I saw opponents eyes light up anytime Pohto came in for Ballard.

We can replace his production I feel.

Rogers will be tougher cause he had to be defended far beyond the 3pt line which opened up the floor. So gotta have someone who will demand to be defended on the perimiter at all times. That's a tougher find IMHO
                    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

My point was we had two critical areas, back to the basket threat and three point threat, completely wiped out so now we are both weak on the perimeter and inside offensively.
                      I think we just disagree that Pohto was actually a back to the basket threat.. he wasn't and was easily guarded by 1 person late in the year.

Comment

My point was we had two critical areas, back to the basket threat and three point threat, completely wiped out so now we are both weak on the perimeter and inside offensively.
                        Rogers is hard to replace. Instead of finding a replacement you likely get more than one good shooter that offer upside in other areas where Rogers struggled. They won't shoot as good probably, but they can make up for the overall production +/- or get close. Pohto can be replaced. I appreciate he stuck with WSU through all of this turbulence, but I never really felt like he found his footing and I don't think it'll be that hard to find comparable or upgraded center that will compliment Ballard.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
                          Kenny P to portal.
                          Isn't he in the portal every year?

"Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

• I'm very optimistic about the two freshmen coming in. I think they will help us a lot. My question marks are Joy and Mamba. The proof will be what we can do with 4 scholarships. I like our possibilities right now.

Comment

• I am curious as to where Pohto will end up. Maybe another American team (not Memphis), Mountain West, A-10, low level power-whatever. Any higher than that and maybe even in those leagues, I feel both parties will be quite disappointed. Opinions?

Comment

• Why in the heck you would pine for a Missouri Valley Conference back-to-the-basket style player when you finally have a dominant center that plays above the rim with a 70%+ finishing capability is beyond me.

Ballard was 5th in the nation in 2 point field goal percentage!!

Ballard doesn't have to -- and shouldn't -- put the ball on the ground. He _shouldn't_ be playing with his back to the basket. He is WAY better than that.

He should receive lob pass after lob pass after lob pass after lob pass.

If a guard is throwing anything but lobs to QB other than for an occasional give-and-go, they are wasting one of the most effective scoring weapons in the entire NCAA Division 1 league.

We are beyond blessed to have Ballard back.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X