RICE (11-17, 5-10), at WSU (12-17, 4-12) GAME THREAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Your opinion so far this year is everything is the players fault when its bad and the coaches get the credit when its good. I'm taking the approach that its 80% coaches fault or credit no matter what bad or good.

Yet again, if it took 30 games to get your team to buy-in for 40 mins, you are failing as a coach. That's on coaching .. not players. Doesn't matter whether they talk about being frustrated with the players. Just means they failed to motivate them. Its 80% the coaches fault, 20% the players fault the players weren't held accountable for not buying in for 30 games. Likewise, coaches get 80% of the credit for how well we played yesterday against an opponent when should regularly beat. They came out ready for the 2nd half which they have rarely done this year.
    Stick confirms just how little he knows about the game everytime he uncoils his finger and starts pointing.
    Other than pointing his finger at the coaches (who I can assure you have forgotten more about the game than Stick knows), what does Stick bring to the forum?

Antagonist maybe?
    Board moron?
    KU fan incognito?

All of the above?
    Maybe we need a poll.

That is all.
    Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Stick confirms just how little he knows about the game everytime he uncoils his finger and starts pointing.
      Other than pointing his finger at the coaches (who I can assure you have forgotten more about the game than Stick knows), what does Stick bring to the forum?

Antagonist maybe?
      Board moron?
      KU fan incognito?

All of the above?
      Maybe we need a poll.

That is all.
      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA the king of bad takes slides in. All you bring is awful takes with a smug attitude.

That is all... ahole.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA the king of bad takes slides in. All you bring is awful takes with a smug attitude.

That is all... ahole.
        And then we he is called out he resorts to name calling!

What part the of the 80% coach’s credit when we win or play well, are you willing to admit? You don’t. End of story. Go away you if you continue to contradict your self.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post

And then we he is called out he resorts to name calling!

What part the of the 80% coach’s credit when we win or play well, are you willing to admit? You don’t. End of story. Go away you if you continue to contradict your self.
          I love how I personally get called out from someone not even involved in the conversation with a smug ass tone accusing me of being a KU fan or "Board moron" (because I back my posts up with data unlike him).. yet its MY response you choose to say resorted to name calling. ShockRef is number 1 at being an ahole to other posters. So I anxiously await you calling him out also!

The irony is .. a true KU fan would LOVE where we are at right now. So is ShockRef a KU fan? He seems to be really happy with where we are at while our program is in the dumpster. Nah .. but he is very much a "anyone but IB" person. He, like a few others, are unable to separate the firing of IB and the hiring of PM in their heads. Since it was the right choice to fire IB, it means ANYONE we hire HAS to be better. That may not be the case. We will see because right now we are worse than any year under IB (which to be clear .. none of those years were acceptable) and mostly due to HCPM misses.

Also I literally gave the coaches credit a few posts up for saying they implemented something new that obviously worked for a couple of games. Just was a little sad that it took us 30 games to get here. Also said it was nice to see them able to keep our players from playing down to the competition like we have done in the past.

So maybe.. just maybe ...read my posts before commenting. I've been consistently right through this season (not always, but more often than not) .. yet I'm the one that is constantly being attacked.

Comment

• I noticed the last two games HCPM was doing a little more than just standing on the sidelines. There was a couple times I actually saw him moving players around. Maybe I have missed other times but this is the first time I have seen it this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wichita Willy View Post
              I noticed the last two games HCPM was doing a little more than just standing on the sidelines. There was a couple times I actually saw him moving players around. Maybe I have missed other times but this is the first time I have seen it this year.
              I agree, he's definitely been more animated and vocal. Even at the end, he was actively coaching Joy when he messed something up. He hasn't done a lot of that this year.

Comment

I love how I personally get called out from someone not even involved in the conversation with a smug ass tone accusing me of being a KU fan or "Board moron" (because I back my posts up with data unlike him).. yet its MY response you choose to say resorted to name calling. ShockRef is number 1 at being an ahole to other posters. So I anxiously await you calling him out also!

The irony is .. a true KU fan would LOVE where we are at right now. So is ShockRef a KU fan? He seems to be really happy with where we are at while our program is in the dumpster. Nah .. but he is very much a "anyone but IB" person. He, like a few others, are unable to separate the firing of IB and the hiring of PM in their heads. Since it was the right choice to fire IB, it means ANYONE we hire HAS to be better. That may not be the case. We will see because right now we are worse than any year under IB (which to be clear .. none of those years were acceptable) and mostly due to HCPM misses.

Also I literally gave the coaches credit a few posts up for saying they implemented something new that obviously worked for a couple of games. Just was a little sad that it took us 30 games to get here. Also said it was nice to see them able to keep our players from playing down to the competition like we have done in the past.

So maybe.. just maybe ...read my posts before commenting. I've been consistently right through this season (not always, but more often than not) .. yet I'm the one that is constantly being attacked.
                You only gave credit if it was something new. Backward compliment at best. You turned into a negative because it took 30 games. Read your own quote. Could it be the players fault. Not in your mind because you have hated Mills from Day one.

If you really think you are RIGHT and I think you believe that, then swallow some humble pie once in a while. It will do you good.
                Last edited by jcdshocker; March 4, 2024, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post

You only gave credit if it was something new. Backward compliment at best. You turned into a negative because it took 30 games. Read your own quote. Could it be the players fault. Not in your mind because you have hated Mills from Day one.

If you really think you are RIGHT and I think you believe that, that swallow some humble pie once in a while. It will do you good.
                  Lol .. so basically because I wasn't on board with the hire on day one .. and whether you like to admit it or not .. i've been more right than wrong so far ... I should "swallow" some humble pie because it doesn't agree with your opinion. Maybe the posters who like to call me out and call ME names should do that first. Unless they are happy with a 13-17 record and 5-12 in conference?

Let me ask you this. Do you consider it a GOOD thing it took us 30 games to run something resembling an offense that wasn't one on one? Also, trying something new is exactly what I would hope a good coach would do... so why is that a backwards compliment?

Also, when I say its 80/20 .. how am I not putting some of the blame on the players? I've called out Pohto for his lazy ass play a few games ago (and to be fair, he's been really good the last couple of games). I've called out Bell for his ridiculous drives into 2-3 people. I've definitely called out the players too. The problem is when those problems persist for as long as they have .. you really HAVE to put a large chunk of the blame on the coaches. That's literally their job to make the players better, or to get better players. Mills was unable to get better players this summer than what we already had (which was a bunch of bench players + Colby). So it was up to him to make the player play better and by most accounts .. until the last 2 games .. they were getting worse. That's primarily on the coaches. Otherwise, why are we paying Millions of dollars to coaches if they have no control over the players?

Comment

• Hey, stick, just to help us all out with your all-knowing thousands of posts that all say the same thing...

...Had it been up to you, who would you have hired, how much would you have paid, and what would have been the most compelling reason for making that hire?

In hindsight, we should have had you as a special advisor to KS in order to make the right decision on the hire. Just want to know who you would have recommended.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                        Hey, stick, just to help us all out with your all-knowing thousands of posts that all say the same thing...

...Had it been up to you, who would you have hired, how much would you have paid, and what would have been the most compelling reason for making that hire?

In hindsight, we should have had you as a special advisor to KS in order to make the right decision on the hire. Just want to know who you would have recommended.
                        There are 1000s of posts because a small few people consistently like to call me out .. often when they aren't even involved in the conversation. So yea .. go ahead and blame them for it.

As far as your question. Can't really answer a lot of it because none of know how much money was available. I do know I wouldn't have pulled the trigger until I had a verbal agreement from my top candidates. All indications are that we did not. Number one would have been to see how much money it would have taken to get Jans and then seeing if I could get that money. Extreme long shot but that could all be done in back channels before making a decision. My realistic number 1 would have been Devries from Drake. Finished first or 2nd every year except the weird COVID year. Top 50 to 75 NET every year. 20 win seasons every year of his coaching career. If we didn't have enough money to even sway a Valley coach, then I just wonder if it really was the right time to actually make the move.

Comment

If we didn't have enough money to even sway a Valley coach, then I just wonder if it really was the right time to actually make the move.
                          This!

WSU had money problems -- Marshall's contract, Brown's contract (if we let him go), Boatwrong's for a while, a new AD plus whatever coach we hired.

Getting rid of Marshall caused a lot of money to dry up. That's not exactly a great situation given the new landscape of college sports.

Bite the bullet and keep Brown another year. Get a better feel for who we may need in this new environment of athletics.

Mills may be that coach. We'll see who he can keep and who he can get.

Comment

• As I review the impressive stats in Rice victory, I am reminded that Rice has had similar struggles as WSU. The Shocks shot the ball great in all three areas. WSU outrebounded Rice by 15 led by Kenny P. and Bell with 6 apiece.

We flip flopped our excessive turnovers and a lack of assists numbers. Beverly, Cortes, Bell, and Rogers combined for 16 of our 18 assists, but only had 5 of our 11 turnovers.

Moving forward, we won't usually shoot the ball like this.. However, we should be able to rebound well if we box out better and give maximum effort for 40. The last Temple loss really hurt and I noticed some lethargic rebounding as many of us and announcers documented. I also think we over analyzed and adapted to what Temple was doing. QB and DR, are easily our 2 best rebounders. They combined for only 29 minutes in that game. What? Yes, only 29 minutes. This glaring observation comes from a man who never made one thin dime coaching. Temple swept us and I hope we play them again.
                            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• I realize the big factor in the Rice win was the Shockers raining down three-balls but I really loved this play with about 5 minutes to play -- 3 the old fashioned way:

Comment

Working...
                              X