No announcement yet.

RICE (11-17, 5-10), at WSU (12-17, 4-12) GAME THREAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it seem to anyone else or is it just me...Every other visiting head coach and some of their staff ALWAYS seems to be lobbying or chirping at the Referees this year at CKA

Comment

• Two biggest take aways from this game:

1: we finally decided to implement an offense that doesn't rely solely on one on one. That was good to see and would have been nice to do like 20 games ago

2: we didn't play down to our competition. Rice is bad, especially on defense (2nd worse in the conference by a decent margin). But we actually let our gameplan dictate theirs. Most games we seem to let the other team dictate our gameplan

Nice learnings considering most are expecting a roster reset in 2 weeks

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• A positive A/TO's makes a big difference along with some rare three point shooting. Can't sustain that kind of shooting but I'd sure like to see our A/TO ratio maintained.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
            Two biggest take aways from this game:

1: we finally decided to implement an offense that doesn't rely solely on one on one. That was good to see and would have been nice to do like 20 games ago

2: we didn't play down to our competition. Rice is bad, especially on defense (2nd worse in the conference by a decent margin). But we actually let our gameplan dictate theirs. Most games we seem to let the other team dictate our gameplan

Nice learnings considering most are expecting a roster reset in 2 weeks
            They didn’t implement a “new” offense. This is the same that mills has been trying to get them to run all year. The difference is the players stuck with it.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

They didn’t implement a “new” offense. This is the same that mills has been trying to get them to run all year. The difference is the players stuck with it.
              Either it's new, or it took 30 games for a coach to get his players to follow his coaching. I'm hoping it's the first because we are screwed if it's the same thing they have been trying to run but Mills failed to get them to run it for 95% of the season which is just awful coaching.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                Does it seem to anyone else or is it just me...Every other visiting head coach and some of their staff ALWAYS seems to be lobbying or chirping at the Referees this year at CKA
                Can’t speak on everyone, but the Rice coach had extended griping after HB got a bogus And1 that had NBAesque continuation. Switch jerseys on the players, and I absolutely would have bitched about it too. That said, Coach seemed to be whining about it longer than he should have, but it was a legitimate complaint.
                78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Can’t speak on everyone, but the Rice coach had extended griping after HB got a bogus And1 that had NBAesque continuation. Switch jerseys on the players, and I absolutely would have bitched about it too. That said, Coach seemed to be whining about it longer than he should have, but it was a legitimate complaint.
                  Yea .. that was definitely an NBA continuation .. he had a valid complaint there.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                    A positive A/TO's makes a big difference along with some rare three point shooting. Can't sustain that kind of shooting but I'd sure like to see our A/TO ratio maintained.
                    Wonder how many positive A/TO games we've had this season?

Comment

I'd rather have a coach working the refs than sitting on his hands.

Comment

HORRIBLE call

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Either it's new, or it took 30 games for a coach to get his players to follow his coaching. I'm hoping it's the first because we are screwed if it's the same thing they have been trying to run but Mills failed to get them to run it for 95% of the season which is just awful coaching.
                          When you have coaches talking about being frustrated with players because nothing seems to get through to them, at some point it ceases to be the coaches fault and is on the players. That is my opinion of what we are seeing. Yesterday was the first time I’ve seen complete buy-in by the team for 40 minutes. It’s not like they went out there and did exactly what they were told all season.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

When you have coaches talking about being frustrated with players because nothing seems to get through to them, at some point it ceases to be the coaches fault and is on the players. That is my opinion of what we are seeing. Yesterday was the first time I’ve seen complete buy-in by the team for 40 minutes. It’s not like they went out there and did exactly what they were told all season.
                            Your opinion so far this year is everything is the players fault when its bad and the coaches get the credit when its good. I'm taking the approach that its 80% coaches fault or credit no matter what bad or good.

Yet again, if it took 30 games to get your team to buy-in for 40 mins, you are failing as a coach. That's on coaching .. not players. Doesn't matter whether they talk about being frustrated with the players. Just means they failed to motivate them. Its 80% the coaches fault, 20% the players fault the players weren't held accountable for not buying in for 30 games. Likewise, coaches get 80% of the credit for how well we played yesterday against an opponent when should regularly beat. They came out ready for the 2nd half which they have rarely done this year.
                            Last edited by Stickboy46; March 3, 2024, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              In the post-game interview on ESPN+ (with Shane Dennis & Bob Hull) Colby Rogers said before the game Coach Mills pointed out that Rice loses whenever they give up more than 15 assists, so Coach Mills made an emphasis on sharing the ball and we did that today...you know, we just played good team basketball today.
                              Caught that as well and was like...you've got to be kidding. Don't we always want to share the ball and get 15 assist? Little bit of a head scratcher there. BUT...we won so.
                              FINAL FOURS:
                              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                              Number of Times Ranked: 157
                              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                              #3 - Dec. 2017
                              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                              #2 ~ March 2014
                              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

HORRIBLE call
                                Indeed it was but also wasn't a gamechanger IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X